What films did you watch today? V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
    The Golden Dream 2013 (8/10) - Mexican road movie about Guatemalan immigrants trying to get into the US. Rather than being overly political it realistically portrays the journey of 3 young kids showing you the highs, lows and some downright sickening moments. Eye opening and worth a watch.

One of my favorites of last year.

Maggie (Henry Hobson, 2015) - Nice idea but it dragged like a bitch and ultimately didn't live up to the conceit. One of Arnie's better performances though, no doubt. 4/10

Welcome to Me (Shira Piven, 2015) - Huge Wiig fan and her career has taken some interesting turns of late (she was terrific in The Skeleton Twins and I've heard good things about Nasty Baby too), girl has some chops as well as great comedy. Overall pretty funny with some sharp, dark edges to it. 6.5/10
    Last edited by The Devil's Lyric; 05-09-2015, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• That's the only way to post. No opinions. No ratings. Fuck it.

Mickey's Tavern Forum
      A great place for comics, video games, movies, and everything else.
      http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...ern/index.php?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Awesome View Post
        That's the only way to post. No opinions. No ratings. Fuck it.
        *Boss High Five*

It's like a normal high five, but this time it means something!

Comment

• Avengers: Age of Ultron - Joss Whedon has made some delicious ice cream. Top notch ingredients with different flavors that compliment each other. It's really good but there's one problem. He takes that ice cream and shovels it into your mouth as hard and as fast as he fucking can. Pints and pints of it. So, if you like Avengers ice cream then come with an empty belly and a bib because you're going to be so stuffed with it you will probably be sick. It's fun but a lot to digest in one sitting.

Seriously though, it's entertaining but overwhelming. I would have preferred some breathing room and some quiet time with the characters in order to re-connect. The film is so action packed and peppered with quips, it distracts from the drama and the tension isn't really there. Otherwise it's pretty dazzling and still fun. 7.5/10

Comment

• The Producers (2005) - 8.5/10
            Over the Edge - 6.5/10
            Lo - 3/10
            Frankenhooker - 6.5/10

Comment

• Jeepers Creepers
              Jeepers Creepers 2
              Ghoulies III

Mickey's Tavern Forum
              A great place for comics, video games, movies, and everything else.
              http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...ern/index.php?

Comment

• Bad News Bears ('76) - 8/10

Comment

• A Night In Terror Tower
                  Goosebumps
                  jIMMY jOE'S GOT THE BALL AND WON'T GIVE IT UP!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Devil's Lyric View Post

Maggie (Henry Hobson, 2015) - Nice idea but it dragged like a bitch and ultimately didn't live up to the conceit. One of Arnie's better performances though, no doubt. 4/10
                    I'm looking forward to this one. Still have no release date for it here in the UK though!
                    "When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

Comment

• INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

Gets better every time I watch it.
                      "When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

Comment

• Cobain: Montage of Heck - 5/5

HBO is on fire this year with their documentaries and this one is quite like no other. It's so artistic in the way it's done. Chapters are broken up with animated renditions of Kurts numerous drawings and paintings, the Nirvana songs that play in the background are orchestral arrangements but the real power comes from the numerous home video clips of Kurt as a hyperactive child to him and Courtney fooling around at home and with being parents to their infant daughter, two junkies in love. There's also loads of tour footage and interview clips fro when Nirvana exploded onto the scene. This film also shows the mess of contradictions the man really was and how he was unfairly saddled with the "Spokesman for a Generation" tag. He was no spokesman and was more fucked up than the fanbase who worship him. He wanted to be a musician but didn't want to be a star, hating every second of being a famous frontman in a band which quite literally changed the world. Lots of revealing interviews with Kurts mum, dad, stepmum, Krist Noveselick and Courtney Love really shine a light on a man who just couldn't handle stardom and all the trappings that came with it.

What impresses the most about this doco is that it completely humanizes Kurt Cobain. It strips away all of the bullshit and presents the man as he really was, warts and all. Watching this film and knowing the outcome is just so fucking sad.

This is a must see for Nirvana fans.
                        Last edited by Rusted; 05-10-2015, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusted View Post
                          Cobain: Montage of Heck - 5/5
                          Nice.

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013, Jay Oliva) - 8.5/10

Dead Man's Shoes (2004, Shane Meadows) - 7/10

Europa Report (2013, Sebastián Cordero) - 6.5/10

Miami Vice (2006, Michael Mann) - 8/10

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                          I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Carson View Post
                            I'm looking forward to this one. Still have no release date for it here in the UK though!
                            Ahem, a little search online might get you the result you're after.

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (Pedro Almodóvar, 198 - 10/10

Comment

• Terminator 2: Judgment Day, 1991. 10/10

Judas Ghost, 2013. 6/10

I'm not one for ghost hunter films but this was pretty good. Took place all in one room and got to the point quickly. The 'ghost' was pretty cool and only 75 mins long. I could deal with it.

Comment

• Being John Malkovich

Such a wonderfully creative film. It could've easily turned out to be a giant mess, but somehow it isn't! The screenplay manages to be focused and entertaining, and the directing is surprisingly brilliant. You know from the opening puppet scene that you're in for quite a ride.

It's a such a bizarre film, yet it's told in a very matter-of-fact style which makes it hilarious. The acting is really great from everyone too, especially Mr. Malkovich himself who sends himself up very entertainingly.

You could argue that there's a deeper meaning underneath it all, but really I just think it's an irreverent comedy and what's wrong with that? It's entertaining, imaginative, well-paced and memorable. I also really liked the dark ending.

8/10
                                ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X