• Show
Clear All

• The Conjuring - 3.5/5
    The Babadook - 4/5

Letterbox'd - Horror Etc - The Hysteria Continues - Film Junk - GGTMC

Comment

• Horns

Mickey's Tavern Forum
      A great place for comics, video games, movies, and everything else.
      http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...ern/index.php?

Comment

• Ex Machina [2015] 9/10

Good to see intelligent scifi movies can still exist in the world

Comment

• Originally posted by SLeePY GiaNT View Post
          Ex Machina [2015] 9/10

Good to see intelligent scifi movies can still exist in the world
          That's at the top of my watch list. Looks fantastic.
          Last edited by Deadly Fiend; 05-13-2015, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• GLADIATOR

Ridley Scott's last GREAT film. It completely blew me away when I first saw it on the big screen back in 2000 (wow. FIFTEEN years ago! Time flies). I remember I didn't really have that many expectations going in but man, it is such an epic story that draws the viewer in with it's characters and amazing action set-pieces; that opening battle still holds up brilliantly. There were so many films that followed this - in that 'sword n' sandals genre that tried to revive itself but they all failed miserably (Troy? 300....? Ha! Pathetic.).
            "When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

Comment

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post

Yeah it's fantastic, I think it won the jury prize at Cannes too.
              Yeah, you're right. It was the co-winner that year. Haven't check out any of the directors works but I've heard he's a real true artist. He most recent, Winter Sleep, won the Palme d'Or in 2014.

Not posted in this thread for a few days, so here's what I've watched...

Valhalla Rises (2009) - 7.5/10

Repo Man (1984) - 6.5/10

The definition of a cult classic!

It Follows (2015) - 7/10

I'm kinda on the fence with this one, some aspects I loved and some I didn't, simple as that. The soundtrack and the mood/atmosphere it created were perfect. Some really innovative camera techniques, especially for a horror.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014) - 5/10

It looked brilliant but in the end just wasn't my cup of tea.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) - 7/10

Really good drama, some brilliant scenes in there where the camera does all the talking for you.

Tokyo Tribe (2014) - 7.5/10

Loved this fucking crazy hip-hop musical from the master that is Shion Sono, hilarious stuff.

Why Don't You Play In Hell? (2013) - 9/10

Just fucking epic from Sono, again. What a film. Only seen a handful of films but this guy is rapidly become my favourite Japanese director of all time.

The Host (2006) - 7.5/10

Hadn't seen this for a while. Great Korean monster movie.
              Last edited by BoOMST1CK; 05-14-2015, 10:01 AM.

AG DRAFT 2015

1. Requiem for a Dream (2000) - D. Aronofsky
              2. Birdman (2014) - A. González Iñárritu
              3. Dazed and Confused (1993) - R. Linklater
              4. There Will Be Blood (2007) - P. T. Anderson
              5. Thirst (2009) - C. Park
              6. Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - S. Meadows
              7. Pusher (1996) - N. Winding Refn
              8. Gomorrah (2008 ) - M. Garrone
              9. The Way of the Gun (2000) - C. McQuarrie
              10. Sexy Beast (2000) - J. Glazer

Comment

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
                Once Upon a Time in Anatolia 2011 (9/10) - A beautiful and haunting film about the search for a body on the Turkish plains. The true story comes from how the search and discoveries impact each character and the hair raising night time landscape brings a real weight to its existentialism.

Despite its near 3 hour runtime I already want to watch it again.
                I've had this on record for quite a while however I can't bring myself to watch it. Have you seen a film by the same director called Uzak? If so what did you think of it? I think it could quite possibly THE most boring film I have ever seen. It is the only film I have ever fast forwarded. The thought of watching a three hour film by the same man fills me with utter dread.

Blue Jasmine

What a fantastic film! An updated version of A Streetcar Named Desire and my first ever Woody Allen film. Cate Blanchett is absolutely stunning in this role and what a role it is. The character of Jasmine is so fascinating, the film could've easily been half an hour longer. There's brilliant acting across the board (I thought Sally Hawkins was fantastic too) and great directing. It's very very funny, but in a dark way. The ending is quite tragic, but perfect.

Cube

This film is pretty awful in a lot of departments. The acting is atrocious, the dialogue is clumsy, it's full of clichés and some of it is just plain dumb. However, it does remain very entertaining. It's also brilliant how the setting never changes, yet it's never boring. A lot of it left me feeling very claustrophobic and tense, which is a good thing! I also really liked how all of the characters actually had personalities.

6/10
                ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by BoOMST1CK View Post
                  Yeah, you're right. It was the co-winner that year. Haven't check out any of the directors works but I've heard he's a real true artist. He most recent, Winter Sleep, won the Palme d'Or in 2014.
                  Winter Sleep has been no.1 priority on my rental list the past month but I haven't been sent it yet. Can't wait though.

Originally posted by BoOMST1CK View Post
                  Repo Man (1984) - 6.5/10
                  Can't say I love this movie either but it very slowly grows on you as the fun is in the detail. There's lots of running gags like the food brands etc. that I didn't even notice on first viewing.

Originally posted by horrorking95 View Post
                  I've had this on record for quite a while however I can't bring myself to watch it. Have you seen a film by the same director called Uzak? If so what did you think of it? I think it could quite possibly THE most boring film I have ever seen. It is the only film I have ever fast forwarded. The thought of watching a three hour film by the same man fills me with utter dread.
                  You probably won't like Anatolia then as I know about Uzak and it sounds very much the same style of storytelling. I can see people finding Anatolia boring since it's very minimalistic and it's all about what's going on beneath the surface rather than the premise itself.
                  Last edited by Midnight-Kroovy; 05-14-2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Mad Max (1979) - 7/10

Phantom of the Paradise (1974) - 8/10

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - 9/10

Comment

• What We Do In The Shadows - 7/10

I was pleasantly surprised by this. I had never been a huge fan of 'Flight Of The Concords'. It drew a lot of comparisons to 'The Mighty Boosh'... Turns out it was nothing like it.

But the vampire theme really allows the humor in their sillyness to shine. One of the main problems with most horror/comedies is the fact that they aren't funny; this one doesn't suffer from that.

Give it a watch. Recommended!

Originally posted by Bill Carson View Post

GLADIATOR
                      I pretty much consider Gladiator to be the greatest film of all time.

Comment

• Originally posted by mad_hatter View Post
                        I pretty much consider Gladiator to be the greatest film of all time.

Comment

• MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (in 3D). I have left my verdict in that particular film's thread.

Now... I am watching MAD MAX 2: THE ROAD WARRIOR which is one of the greatest action films ever made and one of MY all-time favourites. Fury Road doesn't come anywhere near it.

Just my opinion

Comment

• Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981, George Miller) - 8.5/10

Ex Machina (2015, Alex Garland) - 8/10

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                            I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Anarchy Parlor, 2015. 5/10

Motherfucking baddass poster!, the film was mediocre at best. One girl screaming and crying was annoying as fuck.

The Redwood Massacre, 2014. 8/10

Gore, gore, gore, blood, gore, axe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wonderlust View Post
                                Anarchy Parlor, 2015. 5/10

Motherfucking baddass poster!, the film was mediocre at best. One girl screaming and crying was annoying as fuck.

The Redwood Massacre, 2014. 8/10

Gore, gore, gore, blood, gore, axe.
                                I just downloaded both these films today
                                I'm looking forward to The Redwood Massacre. I read some good things about it earlier.
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Akira - 9/10

For being over 25 years old, it's still drop dead gorgeous! And nothing about it is really 'dated.' It's been quite a while since I last watched this and I could see just how much it has influenced since release. Lovely film.

Comment

Working...
                                X