No announcement yet.

What films did you watch today? V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Escape From New York"......A riveting cult classic by John Carpenter. With a damn fine ensemble cast, some very fine as well as hokey special effects, a terrific music score, suspense, humor/camp, and nicely done art direction/production design; all make this wonderful sci-fi thriller a sensational hit!! Kurt Russell is awesome as "Snake Plissken". He is supported by many screen vets like Ernest Borgnine, Harry Dean Stanton, Lee Van Cleef, Donald Pleasance, and Adrienne Barbeau. Pleasance is "ok" as the president. He is kinda wooden in a few scenes. Barbeau is always terrific and I like her character of "Maggie". Too bad she got killed off. Isaac Hayes as "The Duke" is also solid. This film may actually feature the best cast in all of Carpenter's movies! Loved the gladiator fight and the bridge scenes at the end. The movie is entertaining, dark, stylish, and fun. Another one of Carpenter's best films!!

10/10

Comment

• Originally posted by BoOMST1CK View Post

The apartments where it was filmed is the actual ones that the Gomorrah control today as well. It doesn't have the pace of Animal Kingdom or say City of God but to me it's grittier and less stylised than the both of them as well, not taking anything away from how good those films are. There's a tv series as well Kroovy. I've seen the first half of season 1, while the characters are different it's still told in the same fashion.
      The TV series is far superior to the film in terms of character depth, plots and allover visualization of the Camorra practices and their branchings. Actors are top-notch, while merely unknown, but they bring one hell of a tense and dedicated authenticity to the screen.
      More than highly recommended, it's a must see. Season 2 is already underway.
      "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
      Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

• Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
        "The Dark Crystal"......A terrific 1982 fantasy film featuring stunning puppetry by Jim Henson. Nicely done special effects, a great mix of characters, wonderful art direction/cinematography, a strong storyline of good vs. evil, and fine directing all highlight the film. Love the characters of "Jen", "Aughra" and "Kira". Those 3 were always my favorites. This masterful live-action movie is a timeless classic that is imaginative and full of adventure, action, campy fun, and thrills!!

9/10

LOVE this film! Saw it at the cinema when I was a kid back in '82 and it has always remained a firm favourite. Fantastic characters in a beautifully created world. Great score by Trevor Jones too
        "When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

Comment

• Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
          "Escape From New York"......A riveting cult classic by John Carpenter. With a damn fine ensemble cast, some very fine as well as hokey special effects, a terrific music score, suspense, humor/camp, and nicely done art direction/production design; all make this wonderful sci-fi thriller a sensational hit!! Kurt Russell is awesome as "Snake Plissken". He is supported by many screen vets like Ernest Borgnine, Harry Dean Stanton, Lee Van Cleef, Donald Pleasance, and Adrienne Barbeau. Pleasance is "ok" as the president. He is kinda wooden in a few scenes. Barbeau is always terrific and I like her character of "Maggie". Too bad she got killed off. Isaac Hayes as "The Duke" is also solid. This film may actually feature the best cast in all of Carpenter's movies! Loved the gladiator fight and the bridge scenes at the end. The movie is entertaining, dark, stylish, and fun. Another one of Carpenter's best films!!

10/10
          An absolute, 100% Rock-solid classic! Carpenter & Russell on top form here. Great synth score by JC himself and of course, Kurt as 'Snake Plissken' is Supercool!
          "When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

Comment

• Gomorrah - 6/10

I was a little let down by this film after hearing such praise from members here. It wasn't a bad film at all. And it did seem pretty realistic, but it wasn't very entertaining I'm afraid.

Comment

• Mad Max 2

OK kids don't hate me, but this left me a little disappointed. The opening was brilliant with the monologue and then the car chase sequence. Unfortunately after that the film took a slower pace and apart from a couple of action sequences in-between, it didn't get really exciting until the last 20 minutes.

Like the first film, it does have a nice quirky charm to it all with the bizarre characters and barren setting. I think I was just expecting the more with it constantly being likened to one of the greatest action films of all time. I can think of far better (Terminator 2, Hard Boiled, Die Hard etc.) although I must admit that the final car chase was really well staged and shot. I was under the impression that the majority of the film was like this, but it isn't.

7/10
              ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctor RoXo View Post
                Gomorrah - 6/10

I was a little let down by this film after hearing such praise from members here. It wasn't a bad film at all. And it did seem pretty realistic, but it wasn't very entertaining I'm afraid.
                Don't watch the film, check out the series. It has a frightengly great authenticity and is qualitywisely on the same level as Breaking Bad or other series heavyweights.
                "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
                Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

• Neighbors (2014) - This wants to be Old School but it has a moment or two. 6.5/10

Comment

• Curse of the Witching Tree, 2015. 6/10

The Drownsman, 2015. 6/10

Visceral; Between the Ropes of Madness, 2012. 8/10

Comment

• Watched all of these while I was away for the weekend:
                      - I normally don't watch this many movies, but I ended up getting sick for a few days and there wasn't much else to do.

Big Hero 6
                      Maleficent
                      Godzilla vs Megalon
                      Godzilla on Monster Island - Godzilla vs Gigan
                      Godzilla vs Destoroyah
                      Godzilla vs Megaguirus
                      Space Amoeba
                      Atragon
                      Death Kappa
                      The Return of the Living Dead
                      Pieces of Talent
                      The Wolverine

Mickey's Tavern Forum
                      A great place for comics, video games, movies, and everything else.
                      http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...ern/index.php?

Comment

• Pound of Flesh, 2015. 7/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post
                          Rope (1948, Alfred Hitchcock) - 10/10

Arsenic and Old Lace

Comment

• Originally posted by Alkaline View Post
                            My fourth time now.

Best rec I've ever gotten.
                            Last edited by Se7en; 05-26-2015, 10:50 PM.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                            I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Network - 8/10
                              The Ninth Configuration - 9/10

It is a crying fucking shame that William Peter Blatty only directed 2 films in his career. Though he's still alive, he's almost 90 years old so I don't expect him to get back in the director's chair ever again. Though he did write a few novels, two of which his films are based on. I'm going to read everyone asap.

The Ninth Configuration is a strange movie indeed. At times, it had me in tears with gut busting laughter. And at other times, I was shocked and amazed by the twists and turns the story took. It's packed with great talent. Many of them were in Blatty's other film The Exorcist III, which I just saw recently for the first time. And while I loved it, I think I may like this film even more. If you haven't experienced this film yet, I implore you to give it a chance, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Comment

• Amer

The first half hour of this film blew me away. It was like a Guillermo Del Toro film through the eyes of Dario Argento. It was visually stunning and just a complete hypnotic trip. Very, very creepy and suspenseful too.

Unfortunately, the film totally lost its way when the girl grew up. The directing is still amazing, it just felt rather empty due to the lack of plot, dialogue and character depth. Although the final 20 minutes of surrealism was fantastic.

Overall, it's an interesting experimental film and the directors show great great potential. it's well worth watching for the first segment alone.

6/10
                                ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X