What films did you watch today? V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Canal (2014) - 6/10

This was decent enough better than most of the shit in cinemas these days. Had one or two problems but other than that it was good, very creepy atmosphere throughout, something recent horror has been missing.

Comment

• Foxcatcher - Well made movie about the notorious Foxcatcher wrestling camp, and it's eccentric owner John Du Pont. My biggest problem with the movie is that it's just not that entertaining of a watch. This flick has one tone, and that tone is "miserable". It's hard to get too invested in the characters and the story, because of it's very monotone presentation. From the get go, it's a off-putting, depressing experience and it never changes gears. Other films have had a similar style that worked because the subject matter warrented it(Snowtown for instance), but I don't know if it worked all that well for this. 90% of the movie is basically about wrestling and the relationship between Du Pont and Schultz. The characters are complicated and interesting, but by the end you feel beaten over the head by their more dark personality traits, and nothing else. The movie ends with a shock, but the shock isn't really there because you've been expecting something bad to happen from the first frame of the movie, and when it does happen it's like "Oh', okay. That happened"..

Now, as a pure character study, it works really well. I just felt that they could've told the story with a little more flare to keep you more engaged.

7/10

Comment

• The Lost World: Jurassic Park - 7/10

Better than I had remembered.

Comment

• Leon

A top class thriller. It's visually stunning and the action sequences are up to a Quentin Tarantino standard with their fantastic style and flair. Natalie Portman is also pretty extraordinary here! I love how the action takes aback seat to make way for the touching relationship between Leon and Mathilda. The Raid style finale is gripping and a lot of fun.

8/10

House of 1000 Corpses

Finally got round to seeing this and a little confused as to why this is considered good by a lot of horror fans. I really liked the first half. I thought it was funny, campy and had likable characters. The second half quickly descended into a total mess. It became a boring and uninteresting version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. It's not even gory or shocking enough to make an impact.

5/10
          ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• The Loft - Kinda cheesy and sleazy, but was better than I anticipated. - 7/10

Comment

• Castle Freak 1995 (7/10) - I love the sense of the macabre Stuart Gordon brings to his horrors and this is no exception. Aspects of the story are slightly plodding but what it pulls towards is ultimately satisfying and outright nasty.

Comment

• Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment (1985)-8/10

Police Academy 3: Back in Training (1986)-8/10

Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol (1987)-9/10

Girl House (2014)-9/10

Last edited by The Geek; 06-24-2015, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• switchback(1997) 7/10
                  bowfinger 9/10
                  F.I.S.T. 8/10

Comment

• Originally posted by The Geek View Post
                    GirlHouse (2014)-9/10

Awesome modern slasher.

Comment

• Originally posted by wugswunny View Post
                      switchback(1997) 7/10
                      bowfinger 9/10
                      F.I.S.T. 8/10
                      Bowfinger is one of my favorite comedies.

Comment

• Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - 7/10

Good old fashioned entertainment. Enjoyed this a lot, bit gutted I never saw it in cinemas but still it was a good watch none-the-less. Theron reminded me of Weaver in the Alien franchise here, Hardy was good not great and the rest of the cast were good as well but the main aspect of this is the carnage during the action scenes they were filmed brilliantly.

Comment

• Mad Max - 8/10
                          Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior - 9/10
                          Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - 7/10
                          Mad Max: Fury Road - 10/10

The Hunted - 8/10
                          Jersey Boys - 7.5/10
                          Elvira: Mistress of the Dark - 7/10
                          Hell Up in Harlem - 6.5/10

Comment

• John Wick - A simple little action flick, that almost seems plucked out of the 80's. It's amazing how much playing to a genre film's strengths will do. This doesn't try to re-invent the wheel, and transcend the genre like so many recent actioners have tried to do. It's not blown up to over two hours with filler "character development" and melodrama that so many action flicks waste their time with these days. This movie says "Here's this guy. Bad shit happens to this guy. This guy is a total badass.and goes after those who wronged him". That's it. All you need now is good action, which this movie has in spades. Super violent, and stylistic action fills the runtime, as you watch this guy walk through the FPS videogame that is his life. Great fun.

8/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                              John Wick - A simple little action flick, that almost seems plucked out of the 80's. It's amazing how much playing to a genre film's strengths will do. This doesn't try to re-invent the wheel, and transcend the genre like so many recent actioners have tried to do. It's not blown up to over two hours with filler "character development" and melodrama that so many action flicks waste their time with these days. This movie says "Here's this guy. Bad shit happens to this guy. This guy is a total badass.and goes after those who wronged him". That's it. All you need now is good action, which this movie has in spades. Super violent, and stylistic action fills the runtime, as you watch this guy walk through the FPS videogame that is his life. Great fun.

8/10
                              I re-watched this recently and enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time. I especially love the scene in the club with that song "Think" is playing. It's strange that a song like that would go so damn well with that scene that's filled with so much violence. Sometimes film and music just go together so well and this is easily one of the best examples of that.

I'm wondering if that new Sean Penn film, The Gunman, is on John Wicks level? They released around the same time and look to be similar. Hmmm...

Comment

• Mad Max: Fury Road (2015, George Miller) - 10/10

Masterpiece.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                                I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

Working...
                                X