No announcement yet.

What films did you watch today? V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Babadook “The best horror movie in years” tends to be the key phrase to use when describing a genuinely good horror film. However, I think modern horror tends to get a bad reputation due to the amount rubbish produced. We’ve had endless Paranormal Activity films which seem to make big money and the appalling Human Centipede movies seem to make big noise, but these films aren’t especially ‘good’. Unfortunately though, they tend to overshadow the fantastic horror films we have been getting recently such as: You’re Next, The Sacrament and Cheap Thrills to name a few. The Babadook can now pop itself onto that list. In fact, I’d say that it’s easily the best and scariest supernatural horror film since the underrated Sinister.

The Babadook still seems to get quite a lot of criticism for some reason though. To be fair, the trailers do make it look like some sort of run-of-the-mill jumpy ghost story, so perhaps audiences were disappointed when they got a film full of rich characterisation, domestic drama and psychological depth. I wasn’t. The Babadook certainly isn’t your typical supernatural horror film though. We’re not even given a glimpse of the Babadook himself until about 50 minutes into the film, but this doesn’t matter because the central themes and characters are so strong.
    There seems to be some debate as to whether this is a supernatural or psychological horror film. Some think that it leaves it up for the viewer to decide, but I thought that director Jennifer Kent was making it quite obvious that this was a film about a woman going mad. It’s very much in the same vein of The Shining and Repulsion as our hero slowly descends into a total schizophrenic onslaught of terror. As a result, we’re given a much deeper and character-driven film about grief, motherhood and madness.

The heart of the film is the relationship between a mother and son. Both actors are pretty extraordinary, especially the mother played by Elsie Davis who gives an incredibly strong and shattering performance. Many have described the boy as the most annoying child to ever appear in a film, which is a pretty bold statement and one which I wouldn’t necessarily disagree with! The decision to make the boy as painfully annoying as chewing a wasp is an extremely conscious one though as we’re put directly into the shoes of the mother. Amelia finds her son extremely hard to love as she subconsciously blames him for the death of her husband. By the end of the film we end up feeling as crazy as Amelia!
    The first hour is actually a very sad one as we see Amelia become slowly isolated from people as her life becomes increasingly more hectic. No one seems to understand her grief and no one wants to know her because of Samuel (the impossibly annoying son). Therefore her descent into madness is a wonderfully realistic one. It’s also quite frightening. I’m not one to get scared in horror films, I can watch The Exorcist on my own and feel no fright what so ever, however there were some scenes in The Babadook which made my hair stand on end. The last half hour basically just tries its best to scare the trouser off you and it succeeds! Jennifer Kent is extremely masterful in creating tension and scares. I can’t think of one jump scare in the entire film which is so unusual and commendable. Instead, we’re left terrified from nightmarish imagery and sounds. I dare anyone note to get chilled to the core when the Babadook is hovering over the bed chanting ‘baba-dook-dook-DOOOK!’

The Babadook is so much more than just a ‘scary’ film though. It carries so much depth if you’re willing to read into it more. It has a genuinely interesting and engaging character at the centre of it and is willing to throw the audience right into the middle of her mental breakdown. It’s also really well-made, especially considering the teeny weeny budget. The production design is pretty outstanding and the infamous Mister Babadook book itself is beautifully made. This is a film which horror fans should welcome to their bosom. It’s genuinely scary, masterfully directed and has a super screenplay to match. What more could you want? It’s also a great advert for contraception if your partner is starting to get broody.

9/10
    ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Silent Predators (1999)-7/10

Jinn (2014)-5/10

The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2014)-8/10

Phantasm: Oblivion (1998-8/10

Phantasm III (1994)-7/10

Sorority Boys (2002)-8/10

Last edited by The Geek; 07-14-2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post
        Everyone who's been paying attention since 2012.
        Proud to say that I haven't been following Stockard Channing's career all that closely.

My DVD's/Blu's

Comment

• Final Girl (2015) - 4/10

blah.

Comment

• Alien - 10/10

Decided to watch the director's cut this time. It's impossible for me to choose one as they're ultimately similar but both have great stuff that works perfectly in the film. An all time favorite of mine that never gets old.

Comment

• Ali (2001, Michael Mann) - 7/10

The Place Beyond the Pines (2013, Derek Cianfrance) - 10/10

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
              I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Happy-Go-Lucky

A Glorious Mike Leigh affair with Sally Hawkins on top form. It's a brilliant character study full of fascinating stuff bubbling under the surface of it all.
                7/10

The Decalogue

OK I'm not quite sure what everyone else is watching because I decided to buy the Artificial Eye release of The Decalogue after hearing much hype about it. Stanley Kubrick even called it the only masterpiece he could think of in his lifetime. Everywhere you look you'll find reviews praising it to the heavens. Some people even confess to it changing their lives after watching. The only thing The Decalogue changed about my life is that it took ten hours away from it when I could've spent that time doing more interesting things like collecting stamps.

Incidentally, collecting stamps is actually what the final episode is all about and is what sums up the whole ten hour affair. Dull. Every single episode is as dull as dishwater from the dreary music to the drab Polish landscape. I don't mind depressing films, in fact most of my favourite ever films are majorly depressing (Requiem for a Dream, Dancer in the Dark etc.) but The Decalogue is just dull to the point of being almost unbearably boring.

I was filled with hope after the first episode which is easily the best of the lot. Whilst it was very slow and uneventful, I did feel drawn into the lives of a single father and his son. The whole episode kept my attention right up until the devastating finale. However, once I popped on the second episode I found myself suddenly struggling to stay awake. Unfortunately, this was the case for the vast majority of all the episodes.

The problem I found was that each story was barely enough to fill a half an hour running time, yet each episode is one hour long and you feel every minute. I never cared about any of the characters (apart from the first episode) and all of the stories are so uneventful and dull. Some are so dull that I can't even remember them. I spaced it out watching one episode a week. I heard that some people watch all ten episodes in one go and the idea of doing that just fills me with horror.

Perhaps I am being a little unfair though as none of the episodes are appalling. They're all well-acted and competently directed, the screenplay is just so uninspiring. The idea of setting it all in the same apartment is interesting but none of the characters ever become linked in a clever Magnolia kind of way. The only episodes worth watching are the first and sixth. The short film about killing one is extremely overrated and far far less interesting than it sounds on paper.
                3/10
                ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post
                  The Place Beyond the Pines (2013, Derek Cianfrance) - 10/10

Such a great movie.

Comment

• Let Us Prey - Admittedly I was severely distracted during portions of the movie, but what I did see did not impress me or make me feel it needed my full attention. - 3/10

Comment

• Serpico - 7/10

Comment

• The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened? (2015)-9/10

Comment

• Donnie Brasco (1997) - 9/10
                          Insidious : Chapter 3 (2015) - 6/10
                          Zombie (1979) - 8/10
                          The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - 9/10
                          Last edited by Flamethrower; 07-16-2015, 02:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadly Fiend View Post

Such a great movie.
                            Yessir! Glad you like.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                            I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Cartel Land - 4/5

A doc that depicts human nature at it's most violent that's beautifully filmed and scored.
                              LETTERBOX'D - DVD/BLU

Comment

• Originally posted by The Geek View Post
                                The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened? (2015)-9/10

It's probably a good thing this film was never made. I just can't see Nic Cage as Superman...at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X