• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time seeing this one. Not bad.

Bruiser - 7/10

Comment

• Maggie

I really, really, really enjoyed this. A slow moving, gripping character piece. Starring one of the least suspecting men for that type of film, Arnie. Who isn't really a 'great' actor, but in this he is outstanding. A brilliant performance by the man, from his body language, his eyes and his words. It's a shame we don't see this side of him a bit more often.

The entire cast, even the children were fantastic. Solid performances all round, with a few creepy moments sprinkled in. This sort of sheds light on what were it like in a real Zombie era, where we were beginning to get a grip on it. Decisions are made. Consequences follow.

Powerful little flick.. 8/10
      "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.

Comment

• Leviathan 2014 (8.5/10) - Bleak Russian Golden Globe winner about a man fighting corruption to save his home. As a retelling of a religious parable it works nicely with some understated yet striking imagery and cinematography. It does hit home how lonely and despairing life can be although the full effect takes a while to sink in.

Comment

• It Follows - 4/5 - A superbly crafted thriller that's not necessarily deserving of the best horror film of the decade accolades I hear it getting in some places (the score could be). The plot isn't perfect, but there lot's to like.

LETTERBOX'D - DVD/BLU

Comment

• Pet Semetary - 3.5/5

Classic horror flick and a very faithful adaptation of Kings book. Book is obviously better but this is one of the good King movies.

Comment

• Escape From L.A.

I was expecting this to be horrible.. But some terrible CGI aside I fucking love it. A lot darker than the first, more brutal, and Snake is in serious take no shit mode. Add all that to an awesome array of actors and insane characters, and add a smoking hot Presidents daughter and you have one kick ass flick.

On a film making stand point, it's not close to the original.. But I find this one to be far more entertaining and fun. This will easily be the more watched one out of the two for me,,

8.5/10
              "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.

Comment

• It Follows

Now I really didn't want to believe the hype. Normally because a lot of hype can often lead to disappointment, and because I generally can't stand modern horror. This certainly is one that doesn't fit the bill. 100% original,with a nice cast, great direction and a very Carpenter-like electrical score. I love the themes of an ever present, slowly approaching, relentless and unstoppable death. That can only be avoided for so long.. There were a handful of very creepy scenes too, especially the kitchen scene. Fuck yeah.

Doing some reading, the studio is planing a sequel unsurprisingly. One to find the origins of 'it'. Which I think is terrible. Even the director of the film said he never wants it explained, he said it plays as a nightmare, and you can't, and shouldn't understand a nightmare.. And I couldn't agree more.

Really, really surprised by this.. 9/10

Comment

• EAT

These Monster released pictures seem to be terribly hot and miss. Some are good, some are total shit.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this, and I just bought it because I liked the idea, of some bitch eatin' herself like a nice chicken and mayo sanga.

The acting from the main lady drifts depending on the scene. She is either extremely wooden and stale, and other times she is believable, the rest of the cast all do a decent job. As the film sluggishly progresses, and I do mean sluggishly, we get a feel for everyone.. Or at least we think we do. It's slow, but not boring, it's well enough done to hold it's own in the scenes where she isn't making a happy meal of herself.

By the time the climax comes round things are kinda just turned on their head. It's cool, but the final 30 seconds of the film are pretty stupid. That last bit wasn't really needed. All the effects are decently done to, all look pretty good. Overall it's decent enough, on the scale of these Monster Pictures it's certainly one of the stronger ones I've seen..

7/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxley View Post
                    Not surprised you're a fan. That movie owes A LOT of what it has going for it to ANOES. Not that I'm complaining.

Leon: The Professional (1994, Luc Besson) - 6/10

Duel (1971, Steven Spielberg) - 6.5/10

Antarctica: A Year On Ice (2013, Anthony Powell) - 9/10

Altered (2006, Eduardo Sánchez) - 4.5/10

Equilibrium (2002, Kurt Wimmer) - 5/10

American Gangster (2007, Ridley Scott) - 8/10

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                    I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post
                      Not surprised you're a fan. That movie owes A LOT of what it has going for it to ANOES. Not that I'm complaining.
                      You know.. I wasn't going to say anything thinking everyone would think I'm just a delusional Nightmare fan sucking it off..

But yeah. There were a few times watching it where I really got a strong slap in the face of ANOES atmosphere. More than one occasion too. But it's done in a way you don't think they're ripping it off.. I don't know, there's something there, I just can't really explain it.

Comment

• Don't read if you haven't seen It Follows. Not sure how to do spoiler tags on here.

Originally posted by Oxley View Post
                        You know.. I wasn't going to say anything thinking everyone would think I'm just a delusional Nightmare fan sucking it off..

But yeah. There were a few times watching it where I really got a strong slap in the face of ANOES atmosphere. More than one occasion too. But it's done in a way you don't think they're ripping it off.. I don't know, there's something there, I just can't really explain it.
                        Mostly got it from the ending. The makeshift pool trap the kids made to try to catch the follower at the end reminded me a lot of Nancy rigging the house in the original Nightmare. Plus the atmosphere in the first 30-40 minutes wouldn't feel out of place in a 70's or 80's horror movie either. Just a very nostalgic feeling movie overall that has enough of its own originality to keep that from becoming bothersome.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                        I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Parents 1989 (7.5/10) - This kinda threw me as I was expecting an oddball comedy but what I got instead was very dark and surreal. The lines between American Dream and American Nightmare are well and truly blurred as we see from the disturbed son's perspective throwing you off kilter. It''s something different that I'll have to watch again.

The whole "inheriting" a problem and fixing past mistakes is thematically similar to ANOES but really it echoes a whole heritage where everyone spots a different influence, I've seen so many classics mentioned in comparison.

Comment

• Shadow Zombie, 2014. 9/10

Comment

• True Story, 2015. 8/10

Comment

• Originally posted by mR_BuNgLe View Post
                                It Follows - 4/5 - A superbly crafted thriller that's not necessarily deserving of the best horror film of the decade accolades I hear it getting in some places (the score could be). The plot isn't perfect, but there lot's to like.

It Follows

Now I really didn't want to believe the hype. Normally because a lot of hype can often lead to disappointment, and because I generally can't stand modern horror. This certainly is one that doesn't fit the bill. 100% original,with a nice cast, great direction and a very Carpenter-like electrical score. I love the themes of an ever present, slowly approaching, relentless and unstoppable death. That can only be avoided for so long.. There were a handful of very creepy scenes too, especially the kitchen scene. Fuck yeah.

Doing some reading, the studio is planing a sequel unsurprisingly. One to find the origins of 'it'. Which I think is terrible. Even the director of the film said he never wants it explained, he said it plays as a nightmare, and you can't, and shouldn't understand a nightmare.. And I couldn't agree more.

Good to see continuing love for It Follows. It remains my fave movie to come out this year Happily, I now have my own Blu-ray and digital copy as well as the CD of Disasterpiece's amazing score. The screeching chords still freak me out.

A.I.: Artificial Intelligence - 8.5/10
                                Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) - 8.5/10
                                Street Kings - 8.5/10
                                John Doe: Vigilante - 1.5/10

Comment

Working...
                                X