Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasia

Mickey's Tavern Forum
    A great place for comics, video games, movies, and everything else.
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...ern/index.php?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusted View Post

i fucking loved Ant Man. I honestly think it's one of Marvels best.

Agreed.

Marvel seem to be making their best films when not making Super Hero movies.. Ant-Man is more of a heist film. Winter Solider a spy thriller, and GotG wasn't a Super Hero film, either.

I just want Dr. Strange already, he has been my favourite character for years now.
      "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
      Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
      My little idiot..

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxley View Post
        Marvel seem to be making their best films when not making Super Hero movies.. Ant-Man is more of a heist film. Winter Solider a spy thriller, and GotG wasn't a Super Hero film, either.

Aside from those movies executing their sub-genre tropes at an extremely high level, what makes these movies featuring super heroes not super hero movies?

Aftermath (1994, Nacho Cerdŕ)

City of God (2002, Fernando Meirelles & Kátia Lund) - 7.5/10

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
        I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post

Aside from those movies executing their sub-genre tropes at an extremely high level, what makes these movies featuring super heroes not super hero movies?
          Well, maybe the fact that none of them are actually 'super' heroes. Cap. America aside. Ant-Man is a suit. And GotG is a group of aliens. So, I'd say that's it.

Kingsmen: The Secret Service

Some of the best fight scenes in film history? Check. (Church scene arguably the best ever on par if not better than Oldboy's)

Some twists that aren't suspected, one shocking, one cliche. Check.

Hilarious humour sprinkled in all the right parts? Check.

This was one hell of an awesome movie. Heard nothing but great things but I wasn't expecting this.. This surpassed all expectations. The action is great, fights are choreographed with extreme detail, aided with great directing. Little homages to all sorts of films. Just brilliant. My biggest complaint is I wanted it to have more Mark Hamil. Otherwise I can't fault it. One of the most thrilling and fun viewing experiences I have had since Guardians Of The Galaxy. A must see. Hands down.

9.5/10
          "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
          My little idiot..

Comment

Well, maybe the fact that none of them are actually 'super' heroes. Cap. America aside. Ant-Man is a suit. And GotG is a group of aliens. So, I'd say that's it.
            How can aliens not be superheroes? And Ant-Man's suit is what gives him his ability. Technically still a superhero.

But nah, Iron Man isn't a superhero either right?

Originally posted by Oxley View Post
            Some of the best fight scenes in film history? Check. (Church scene arguably the best ever on par if not better than Oldboy's)
            You're fucking insane.

Phoenix (2015, Christian Petzold) - 9/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post
              How can aliens not be superheroes? And Ant-Man's suit is what gives him his ability. Technically still a superhero.

But nah, Iron Man isn't a superhero either right?
              I wouldn't call Iron-Man a super hero, no. He is just a normal man without the suit. I wouldn't call Batman one either.

Aliens can be super hero's I suppose. I mean, Super Man is an obvious one. Then again, it's only our atmosphere that grants him that. So I guess that's debateable.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm not Aaron. I'm not going to argue with you for pages only to have it end, and both sides accomplish nothing.

My little idiot..

Comment

Kingsmen: The Secret Service

Some twists that aren't suspected, one shocking, one cliche. Check.

Hilarious humour sprinkled in all the right parts? Check.

This was one hell of an awesome movie. Heard nothing but great things but I wasn't expecting this.. This surpassed all expectations. The action is great, fights are choreographed with extreme detail, aided with great directing. Little homages to all sorts of films. Just brilliant. My biggest complaint is I wanted it to have more Mark Hamil. Otherwise I can't fault it. One of the most thrilling and fun viewing experiences I have had since Guardians Of The Galaxy. A must see. Hands down.

9.5/10
                Yeah Kingsman is a kick ass film. I really enjoy Matt Vaughans work. He's not afraid to venture into hard action territory.

Comment

• They're all fucking super heroes. And I don't mean that sexually.

Comment

• The Haunted Palace (1963) - 8/10
                    Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972) - 5/10
                    Ted 2 (2015) - 7/10
                    Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 (2015) - 2/10
                    Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed (2004) - 8/10
                    Wyrmwood (2014) 6/10
                    Ginger Snaps (2000) - 9/10
                    Razorback (1984) - 5/10
                    Ant-Man (2015) - 5/10
                    Ted (2012) - 7/10
                    Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995) - 8.5/10
                    Raze (2013) - 4/10
                    Minions (2015) - 3/10
                    Curtains (1983) - 6/10
                    Wolfen (1981) - 7/10

Comment

• Tin Cup - 7/10
                      Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story - 6/10
                      U-Turn - 9/10
                      The Deadly Spawn - 8/10

Comment

• Eyes Wide Shut Over ten years later Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut is released to the world. I was only four years old at the time, but I could imagine the hype. The final film of arguably the greatest film director to have ever lived. The final cut of Eyes Wide Shut was delivered to Warner Brothers four days prior to Stanley’s mysterious death. Stanley called the film his "greatest contribution to the art of cinema" but it was greeted with hostility and it’s easy to see why. Eyes Wide Shut is arguably his most impenetrable film. The average cinemagoer can appreciate the horror of The Shining and the comedy of Dr. Strangelove without digging deeper into them. However, Eyes Wide Shut is very difficult to enjoy without unlocking those hidden meanings and symbols.
                        It’s possibly his most enigmatic and mysterious film, arguably even more so than 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Shining. The eye-popping finale to 2001 has more or less been unlocked, but the secrets that lie within Eyes Wide Shut still remain closed and debated upon just like The Shining still is today. However, whilst The Shining is universally lauded as a masterpiece, Eyes Wide Shut is still yet to receive the recognition it deserves. I remember when I first saw the film one night, on my own and finding it incredibly slow but intriguing. I also remember finding a lot of it very frightening.
                        Last night I gave it a re-watch with my sister and mother by my side. My sister switched off about twenty minutes in and started playing on her phone, whilst my mother said once it finished “Well, I’m not surprised he died after making that shite!” which of course makes no sense, but you don’t know my Mum. I definitely found a new appreciation for it though. There’s so much going on in the film that it’s impossible to take it all in on your first viewing. You’ll probably end up disliking it, but give it a few days and you’ll find yourself pondering over it. You may even find yourself becoming haunted by it like Dr. Bill’s guilty conscience.
                        At its core, Eyes Wide Shut is a Lynchian mystery set in a dreamy New York City. Most know all the bizarre plot twists and turns now, but the less you know the better. Like most Stanley films, Eyes Wide Shut is more of an experience that can’t be put into words. It’s not the type of film you can dip in and out of, you have to watch it all the way through and give it your full attention. Watching Tom cruise walking down the street shouldn’t be interesting, but something about it keeps you inexplicably transfixed to the screen. Similarly, the seemingly never ending monologues carry a hypnotic grip on your senses, such as Nicole’s dreamy drug-fuelled confession which kick starts the entire story.
                        The film holds the record for the longest continual film shoot at four hundred days so the directing is of course beyond masterful. Every single shot is carefully considered and the trademark tracking shots are as dizzying as ever. The mise-en-scene in each scene is also extremely important to consider. There are so many things hidden in the background, such as the recurring multi-coloured Christmas trees which disappear once Tom Cruise enters the mysterious cult. Could this relate to the ‘end of the rainbow’ as stated earlier in the film? It’s little details like this which make Eyes Wide Shut endlessly fascinating to analyse. Only until you analyse the film can you appreciate the painstaking details and intelligent intricacies.
                        Stanley’s final film is often claimed to be a limp ending to a phenomenal filmography, however I’d strongly disagree. Any true Stanley lover will recognise the obscure genius of Eyes Wide Shut. Conspiracy theorists will thrive off the illuminati and Satanist symbolism, but I think there’s more to it than that. It’s a wonderfully mysterious film with a brooding dreamlike atmosphere. I also have to mention the brilliantly creepy (yet incredibly simple) piano score which has to be the scariest use of a few notes since the Jaws theme tune. Whilst the film isn’t quite up to the impossibly high standards of 2001, A Clockwork Orange and The Shining, it isn’t miles off. Maybe after some repeated views I might hold it in even higher regards.

9/10
                        ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

I wouldn't call Iron-Man a super hero, no. He is just a normal man without the suit. I wouldn't call Batman one either.
                          Ah. I know your type now, carry on.

Originally posted by Oxley View Post
                          You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm not Aaron. I'm not going to argue with you for pages only to have it end, and both sides accomplish nothing.
                          You see, things like this go past whatever opinions either of us may have. You're straight up incorrect.

If you were Mr. Carter you wouldn't say anything so stupid in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                          X