No announcement yet.

What films did you watch today? V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got what Spring Breakers was all about and still hated it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heretic View Post

Awesome doc. I was pissing myself laughing at how ridiculous that shoot was. The Brando stuff is unreal.

I actually saw that film in the theatre.
      It's one of my favorites docs. I ate up every single second and the Brando stuff had me dying. The scene with the German actor discussing the time Brando tried to talk German with him but all that came out of his mouth was complete gibberish

Brando was right about this guy though. Every time I watch the film I become utterly fascinated with him:

Comment

• Run Silent, Run Deep - 7.5/10 *Good war film. I love submarine movies.
        Eden Log - 5/10 *A strange and confusing movie. Bizarre and bleak as hell.

Comment

Most average movie goers don't look into film that deeply. It got the typical "WTF was that bullshit?" response from your average viewer, that 95% of arthouse movies usually get. I'd imagine most just thought it was boring and stupid, and couldn't care less to look under the surface.
          I don't know man, Spring Breakers is hardly Yi Yi. I don't exactly see what is mindfucky about it and the themes are very surface level shit that most regular movie watchers should be able to pick up on. Even if they can't explain it in big words and long paragraphs, I'm sure there were plenty of people who left it thinking that it was made for the ADHD bro dudes you mention below. It's very standard shallow nonsense until the 38 minute mark or so when Franco shows up. How many even made it to that point?

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
          It's quite relevant. Especially when you target a specific audience(ADHD bro-dudes), and throw them a knuckle-curveball. It would not shock me at all if half the people who went to see it, thought it was a comedy simply because James Franco was in it.
          Franco has been in way more dramas than he has comedies, and that's not even counting the student film bullshit he does that 12 people have seen. People would know him from Spider Man/127 Hours/Rise of the Apes just as much as they would Pineapple Express.

Spring Breakers isn't even that artsy. It was a gateway film for me because of this. This is why there are quite a few non-arthouse fans on here (Geek, Fiend) who are also fans, and it's why it's one of the most popular arthouse films since the turn of the century. You aren't giving the people of the world enough credit.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
          I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Evil Dead (2013) - 8/10

You're Next (2011) - 9/10

Comment

• No Country For Old Men.

I thought this was overrated shit on my first viewing. Must of been in an off mood... Fantastic fucking film.

First time, hates it. Second time. Looooooved it, mates. 10/10
              "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.

Comment

• Pig Pen, 2015. 8/10

Heaven Knows What, 2015. 7/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post
                  I don't know man, Spring Breakers is hardly Yi Yi. I don't exactly see what is mindfucky about it
                  Mindfuck might've been the wrong word, but it's definitely off-beat to your average viewer who is used to the Fast And Furious style of filmmaking. I also don't believe too many of those people look for themes in movies no matter how simplistic they may be.

You aren't giving the people of the world enough credit.
                  I'm giving the average movie goer all the credit they deserve. I'm not saying people are dumb, but as far as film goes, the majority don't give a fuck. You've said plenty of times that you don't discuss film outside of the internet. Why is that again? I'm going to assume it's because you'd have to look far and wide for people who appreciate filmmaking as much as you do, and can't fucking stand discussing film with your average movie goer..

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post
                    Most of the regular every day people who watched Spring Breakers view it as a shallow, pointless movie that glorifies partying and bad behavior. Being artsy in the way it did so isn't really relevant. Obviously can't be compared to a Project X or 21 and Over as it is a DRAMA, but dealing with the partying in a more serious way doesn't really change how people view what they think it's trying to say.

For sure... 1000x more hype for High-Rise now.

For all I know Gummo is shit. Just speaking in general about the films you have a tendency to not be a fan of. You liking Spring Breakers/Enter the Void shows that arthouse sometimes works for you, so I think you'd find a lot more to enjoy in shit like The Tree of Life/Before Sunrise/Veronique/etc if you tried to understand the films and directors making them instead of tossing them off as pretentious or self absorbed.

I guarantee you're going to see an arthouse movie that's gonna blow the door open for you at some point, but hopping into The Decalogue when you can't even connect with The Tree of Life is counterintuitive to understanding this side of film.
                    I think itís all down to personal taste. Some people see Gummo as a masterpiece and that doesnít bother me. Eraserhead is one of my favourite films but a lot of people see it as a boring, pretentious mess and that viewpoint doesnít bother me either. I do try to understand the films I watch. Iíve read a few essays on Veronique and get its point but it just doesnít interest me. Iím sorry.
                    ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Captain Phillips 2013 (7.5/10) - Tense movie that I found to be at it's most gripping with the struggles against the incoming skiffs. The portrayal of the Somali pirates was good and towards the end I was far more interested in them than the crew and Navy which ultimately cause the movie to fizzle.
                      Last edited by Midnight-Kroovy; 08-26-2015, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I also don't believe too many of those people look for themes in movies no matter how simplistic they may be.
                        Word, but the people who rush out to see the new Fast movies aren't typically the people who are going to be watching Spring Breakers. Despite the stars, it's still very much an indie movie that's not really easy to watch on accident unless you already had prior interest in it.

I don't think the shit score on IMDB is from soccer moms and bro dudes.

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                        You've said plenty of times that you don't discuss film outside of the internet. Why is that again?
                        It's because people don't give a fuck lol

Bro dudes looking for girls, teenage girls looking for the Disney stars. Grandma isn't going to be watching Spring Breakers no matter what. Who is watching this movie? We are wiggaaa

Originally posted by horrorking95 View Post
                        Eraserhead is one of my favourite films but a lot of people see it as a boring, pretentious mess.
                        See that's kind of what I'm getting at. Eraserhead is a hard movie to get into, and it was probably easier to connect with because you're a horror fan. Keep watching/reading and you'll become more receptive to some of these films that are also harder to get into.#TheBank

Comment

• The Last Broadcast - 8/10

Comment

• Guyver (1991)-8/10

Watched the region free Blu from Germany. 3 violent scenes are from an inferior source (they were cut from the director's cut DVD) but otherwise it looks pretty damn good.

Slaughterhouse (1987)-8/10

The Boogey Man (1980)-8/10

Comment

• Jarhead (2005, Sam Mendes) - 7/10

Casablanca (1942, Michael Curtiz) - 7.5/10

Comment

• Galaxy of Terror - 5/10
                                Dream Machine - 4/10
                                Precious - 9/10
                                John Carpenter's Pro-Life - 8/10

Comment

Working...
                                X