Connect with us

Editorials

Let’s Face It, Dead Island’s DLC Sucked; Here’s How ‘Riptide’ Can Do Better

Published

on

I’ve shared my love for Dead Island numerous times now. It had its issues, sure, but that didn’t keep it from being a highly addictive zombie game that was alarmingly easy to sink a lot of hours into, especially if you had a few friends to play it with. I’ve talked plenty already about what I think Techland can do to improve the series, even going so far as to borrow a few ideas from the similarly themed Far Cry 3. However, there still an area left that I have yet to cover, and it’s potentially where Techland made their worst mistakes. Let’s talk about DLC.

As enjoyable as Dead Island was, the post-release support for it was brimming with poor decisions. Let’s face it, the DLC sucked. In case you’ve forgotten — and I wouldn’t blame you if you had — the add-ons I’m referring to are the wave survival mode Bloodbath Arena and the single-player exclusive Ryder White expansion.

Let’s begin with what went wrong.

It makes sense to start with the first add-on, the aptly titled Bloodbath Arena. You can probably figure out what it’s about just by reading the title: you’re in an arena, and it’s a bloody one, or it will be after you spend a few minutes decorating it with the squishy inner bits of the zombie hordes that are thrown at you.

It was delayed, but that’s hardly a big deal. The problem lies with what it brought to the experience, and that was largely nothing new. It was essentially the same mode you can find in a myriad other games that pit you against waves of enemies which become progressively more difficult to survive against.

Resident Evil 4 wasn’t the first to do it, but its unlockable Mercenaries mode took it to the mainstream. Like all popular things it was eventually seen in seemingly every other video game after that, including Gears of War, Halo, Alan Wake, and Left 4 Dead, as well as the upcoming Aliens: Colonial Marines, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, and so many others.

I don’t know about you, but Dead Island isn’t all that fun when you’re surrounded by enemies. I dare say that’s when it’s at its least fun. Frantically pressing the kick button to get some breathing room so I can equip a better weapon while I was surrounded by a group of angry zombies really doesn’t rank among my fondest memories of the game. I’m sure there were plenty fans who enjoyed the mode, and there’s nothing wrong with that. It can be fun when it’s done right and when actual thought, time, and creativity were invested into making it unique in some way to the game it’s a part of. Bloodbath Arena just felt tacked on.

The second downloadable offering was the infinitely less enjoyable Ryder White campaign. Bloodbath Arena was uninspired, but at least that provided some enjoyment. Ryder White did not.

Ryder White’s biggest flaw was that it could only be experienced alone. Say what you will about Dead Island, but that is a multiplayer game. It becomes significantly less enjoyable when experienced alone, and that’s because it was built from the ground up as a co-op experience.

Did I mention they also removed the RPG elements? Y’know, the only other thing that helps separate this game from the dozens of other zombie games out there? We were stuck playing as the awful human being that is Ryder White, who also had the honor of starring in one of the worst boss fights in recent memory, and we couldn’t even customize him to fit our playstyle. This also meant everything you did in the add-on didn’t carry over to the main game.

I could also go into its more linear design — it’s not open world, so you’re going from point A to point B with no side quests — but what’s the point?

So what can be done to improve on all this with the next game? A lot, actually. The original set the bar so low that I’d be surprised, and actually genuinely impressed if its pseudo-sequel managed to do anything but improve on it.

One of this game’s most exciting new features is its dynamic weather system. The tropical island you’re exploring is prone to heavy storms, which can result in random storms and flash floods. A feature like that can be used in some really exciting ways, as seen in games like Gears of War, which tinkered with multiplayer maps that randomly flooded and the Hard Rain campaign in Left 4 Dead 2 that had rainstorms which became so intense you could barely see.

How about instead of barricading us in an arena filled with zombies, Riptide took a page out of Left 4 Dead’s book and introduced a mode that urged cooperative play by forcing you and your friends to work as a team? They could do this by adding a mode that’s about using a boat to traverse a flooded area. Your level of success is determined by how long it took your team to complete your primary mission, and your score can be improved by completing side objectives. Along the way you can pick up survivors, but doing so requires you to stop the boat in enemy-infested waters, which increases your score when you bring them to safety. Each map could give you a specific goal, like collect as many supplies as you can to help a group of people who are starving in a nearby building, or find some people who went out for supplies but never returned.

This forces players to work as a team, make tough decisions like making it to safety as quickly as possible or putting your team in danger by stopping to save survivors or collect resources (like health and ammo) along the way. You can even up the ante by making human-controlled survivors worth more to the team’s final “score” than NPC survivors. So if you stop to save an NPC survivor but one of the human players dies in the fight, your score is actually hurt, making the decisions even riskier. That way you’re taking some of the best new features — the boat, weather system — and creating a mode that revolves around those mechanics.

The gameplay footage that debuted back in January made a considerable effort to show off another of the game’s new features: the fortification and defending of bases against waves of enemies. I wouldn’t mind seeing something that expands on that too (because we probably will).

There’s a good chance this game will include a wave-based multiplayer mode. This time there are new ways to keep it from feeling as tacked on as it was in Bloodbath Arena. It’s a no-brainer to say that it should revolve around the aforementioned base fortifying system that’s one of the bigger new features in Riptide. From what we’ve seen of it so far, defending and fortifying these areas looks like fun, but there’s always room to expand on a feature like that with additional ways to fortify and defend your base.

If this is PDLC — that’s DLC they charge us for — it can’t just be what we saw in the latest footage, only on new maps. There needs to be new fortification options. For reference, look at what Gears of War 3 did with its Horde mode. The amount of new features in that over its earlier versions is ridiculous. I’d even suggest adding a competitive twist by separating the four survivors and placing them in four fortifiable areas on a single map and having them compete to see who can survive the longest. Adding a way for players to sabotage each other would make this ridiculously fun, like you can leave your base to sabotage another player’s defenses, but doing so means your base is left unprotected, or something like that.

DLC is important. It’s an optional way to extend the life of the games we buy, and it’s something we weren’t able to enjoy on the previous generation of consoles. Developers are still experimenting with it, and like all new things mistakes will be made, lessons will be learned, and designers will get better at it. I have faith in Techland as a developer and their ability to do a better job of extending the life of Dead Island: Riptide. These are just a few specific paths Techland can take with their DLC, and while I’d love to see one of these ideas make it into the game, if they don’t, I’d at least like to see the Riptide team do something interesting with it this time around.

What about you?

Have a question? Feel free to ever-so-gently toss Adam an email, or follow him on Twitter and Bloody Disgusting.

Gamer, writer, terrible dancer, longtime toast enthusiast. Legend has it Adam was born with a controller in one hand and the Kraken's left eye in the other. Legends are often wrong.

Editorials

‘A Haunted House’ and the Death of the Horror Spoof Movie

Published

on

Due to a complex series of anthropological mishaps, the Wayans Brothers are a huge deal in Brazil. Around these parts, White Chicks is considered a national treasure by a lot of people, so it stands to reason that Brazilian audiences would continue to accompany the Wayans’ comedic output long after North America had stopped taking them seriously as comedic titans.

This is the only reason why I originally watched Michael Tiddes and Marlon Wayans’ 2013 horror spoof A Haunted House – appropriately known as “Paranormal Inactivity” in South America – despite having abandoned this kind of movie shortly after the excellent Scary Movie 3. However, to my complete and utter amazement, I found myself mostly enjoying this unhinged parody of Found Footage films almost as much as the iconic spoofs that spear-headed the genre during the 2000s. And with Paramount having recently announced a reboot of the Scary Movie franchise, I think this is the perfect time to revisit the divisive humor of A Haunted House and maybe figure out why this kind of film hasn’t been popular in a long time.

Before we had memes and internet personalities to make fun of movie tropes for free on the internet, parody movies had been entertaining audiences with meta-humor since the very dawn of cinema. And since the genre attracted large audiences without the need for a serious budget, it made sense for studios to encourage parodies of their own productions – which is precisely what happened with Miramax when they commissioned a parody of the Scream franchise, the original Scary Movie.

The unprecedented success of the spoof (especially overseas) led to a series of sequels, spin-offs and rip-offs that came along throughout the 2000s. While some of these were still quite funny (I have a soft spot for 2008’s Superhero Movie), they ended up flooding the market much like the Guitar Hero games that plagued video game stores during that same timeframe.

You could really confuse someone by editing this scene into Paranormal Activity.

Of course, that didn’t stop Tiddes and Marlon Wayans from wanting to make another spoof meant to lampoon a sub-genre that had been mostly overlooked by the Scary Movie series – namely the second wave of Found Footage films inspired by Paranormal Activity. Wayans actually had an easier time than usual funding the picture due to the project’s Found Footage presentation, with the format allowing for a lower budget without compromising box office appeal.

In the finished film, we’re presented with supposedly real footage recovered from the home of Malcom Johnson (Wayans). The recordings themselves depict a series of unexplainable events that begin to plague his home when Kisha Davis (Essence Atkins) decides to move in, with the couple slowly realizing that the difficulties of a shared life are no match for demonic shenanigans.

In practice, this means that viewers are subjected to a series of familiar scares subverted by wacky hijinks, with the flick featuring everything from a humorous recreation of the iconic fan-camera from Paranormal Activity 3 to bizarre dance numbers replacing Katy’s late-night trances from Oren Peli’s original movie.

Your enjoyment of these antics will obviously depend on how accepting you are of Wayans’ patented brand of crass comedy. From advanced potty humor to some exaggerated racial commentary – including a clever moment where Malcom actually attempts to move out of the titular haunted house because he’s not white enough to deal with the haunting – it’s not all that surprising that the flick wound up with a 10% rating on Rotten Tomatoes despite making a killing at the box office.

However, while this isn’t my preferred kind of humor, I think the inherent limitations of Found Footage ended up curtailing the usual excesses present in this kind of parody, with the filmmakers being forced to focus on character-based comedy and a smaller scale story. This is why I mostly appreciate the love-hate rapport between Kisha and Malcom even if it wouldn’t translate to a healthy relationship in real life.

Of course, the jokes themselves can also be pretty entertaining on their own, with cartoony gags like the ghost getting high with the protagonists (complete with smoke-filled invisible lungs) and a series of silly The Exorcist homages towards the end of the movie. The major issue here is that these legitimately funny and genre-specific jokes are often accompanied by repetitive attempts at low-brow humor that you could find in any other cheap comedy.

Not a good idea.

Not only are some of these painfully drawn out “jokes” incredibly unfunny, but they can also be remarkably offensive in some cases. There are some pretty insensitive allusions to sexual assault here, as well as a collection of secondary characters defined by negative racial stereotypes (even though I chuckled heartily when the Latina maid was revealed to have been faking her poor English the entire time).

Cinephiles often claim that increasingly sloppy writing led to audiences giving up on spoof movies, but the fact is that many of the more beloved examples of the genre contain some of the same issues as later films like A Haunted House – it’s just that we as an audience have (mostly) grown up and are now demanding more from our comedy. However, this isn’t the case everywhere, as – much like the Elves from Lord of the Rings – spoof movies never really died, they simply diminished.

A Haunted House made so much money that they immediately started working on a second one that released the following year (to even worse reviews), and the same team would later collaborate once again on yet another spoof, 50 Shades of Black. This kind of film clearly still exists and still makes a lot of money (especially here in Brazil), they just don’t have the same cultural impact that they used to in a pre-social-media-humor world.

At the end of the day, A Haunted House is no comedic masterpiece, failing to live up to the laugh-out-loud thrills of films like Scary Movie 3, but it’s also not the trainwreck that most critics made it out to be back in 2013. Comedy is extremely subjective, and while the raunchy humor behind this flick definitely isn’t for everyone, I still think that this satirical romp is mostly harmless fun that might entertain Found Footage fans that don’t take themselves too seriously.

Continue Reading