Connect with us

Editorials

10 Creepy Crawler Horror Movies That’ll Make You Squirm!

Published

on

There’s something inherently scary about bugs and creepy crawlers before you even apply them to horror. Rationally, they’re so much smaller than us, so we shouldn’t be afraid. But they can bite, sting, and carry disease. Some are venomous, and some swarm in large enough numbers to be dangerous. That doesn’t even touch on how just the sight of them triggers a visceral response; they make us squirm. Naturally, horror often exploits that fear.

Take Arachnophobia, for example. If you didn’t have a fear of spiders before, this horror-comedy makes full use of the eight-legged critters and gets under the skin of even the most fearless. And much like Arachnophobia, these other ten horror movies feature creepy crawlers that’ll have you reaching for the bug spray.

Creepshow

Bugs only feature in one of the five segments, but “They’re Creeping Up on You” packs in enough roach terror that it’s a relief that they’re contained to a fraction of the runtime. Upson Pratt is a ruthless businessman. His germaphobia has him living alone in a hermetically sealed apartment. Karma gets ugly when Pratt finds himself fighting off hordes of roaches. Dealing with one bug is plenty. But hundreds upon hundreds at once, all scurrying about and finding their way into every nook and crevice in your home? The imagery will induce a shudder or two. So too will the behind-the-scenes making of this segment, in which the real roaches proved impossible to corral.

Eight Legged Freaks

Arachnophobia proved that venomous, normal-sized spiders are terrifying. Throw toxic waste into the mix, creating gigantic killer arachnids, and the temptation to nuke the planet to eradicate all things arachnid becomes very tempting. Luckily, Eight Legged Freaks takes a comedic approach in this love letter to the atomic ’50s. Giant spiders become slightly less scary when they chirp at each other in a cute gremlin-like language. It’s a fun, campy feature, but that won’t make it any easier if you’re an arachnophobe.

Phenomena

Dario Argento may be the ruler supreme when it comes to grossing out viewers with maggots. Even in a film where bugs aren’t the villain. Jennifer Corvino (Jennifer Connelly) arrives at a Swiss boarding school in an area stricken with a series of grisly murders. Her unique gift to communicate with insects and her new friendship with entomologist John McGregor (Donald Pleasence) and his chimp proves key in solving the murders. With bugs coming to Jennifer’s aid throughout, they’re not so creepy crawly here. At least not until the climax, when Jennifer finds herself submerged in a maggot-infested pool. Nope. No, thank you.

Slugs

Slimy garden slugs become more than a nuisance thanks to Pieces’ director Juan Piquer Simón. Toxic waste renders them carnivorous critters with an insatiable appetite. What’s worse is that they multiply and congregate in mass numbers, making these slugs like oozy land piranhas. In other words, the deaths are gruesome and ultra-gory. It’s bad enough when they devour their victims whole, but the worst kills are reserved for those unlucky enough to eat their eggs unwittingly. Being consumed from the inside out is as revolting and unpleasant as it sounds.

Bug (1975)

“Kill it with fire!” tends to be a typical response to an infestation, but this roach feature co-written by William Castle and directed by Jeannot Szwarc (Jaws 2) reframes the phrase through the bugs’ perspective. As in, this particular mutant strain of cockroaches can set things on fire once an earthquake frees them. Nature would’ve sorted itself out – these roaches aren’t used to living on the surface – except a scientist decides to breed them with a modern roach. Whatever could go wrong? As horror has taught us countless times, everything could and does go catastrophically awry. Super-bred intelligent cockroaches for the win.

The Bay

This found footage movie sees a seaside down under siege from an unknown virulent threat. First comes a gnarly rash, then vomiting, then a violent, disturbing death. Eventually, researchers discover it’s a parasitic ocean isopod that’s mutated to an abnormally large size thanks to a nearby chicken farm’s chemicals getting dumped into the ocean. This isopod is most commonly known as the tongue-eating louse as it enters a fish through its gills, attaches itself to the tongue while cutting off circulation until the tongue falls off, then acts as the new tongue. It then steals all the nutrients until the fish dies. In The Bay, this isopod is now large cockroach sized and can affect humans by eating its way out of them.

Ticks

Creepy crawlers are, well, creepy all on their own. Throw in chemicals, toxic waste, or in this case, steroids, and you get pure nightmare fuel in the form of turbocharged creepy crawlers. Common blood-sucking ticks become abnormally large and aggressive thanks to getting mixed up in a drug dealer’s quest to make his marijuana plants larger with steroids. The teens enrolled in an inner-city wilderness project find themselves in the path of these massive ticks when they set up camp in their territory. It’s goopy, gory, and cringe-inducing. The highlight of the film is the violent climax that goes full-blown creature feature.

Starship Troopers

Starship Troopers

Set in the future, humanity’s quest to colonize new planets led them to the discovery of a hostile insect-like alien species. The Bugs don’t take lightly to the invasion, and a war erupts. In other words, the bugs aren’t exactly the bad guy here. That doesn’t make them any less deadly, and in some cases- like the intelligent brain-sucking Brain Bug- very unnerving. This big-budget spectacle puts its emphasis on the human characters and their roles in the war, but director Paul Verhoeven never skimps on showing just how gruesome war can be. Especially a war with monstrous sized bugs of all varieties.

Mimic

Guillermo del Toro’s sophomore feature was set in a Manhattan where cockroaches were the harbinger of a deadly disease that targeted children. Under the CDC’s orders, entomologist Dr. Susan Tyler (Mira Sorvino) creates a new hybrid species derived from termite and mantis DNA to eradicate the roaches and die off shortly after. Only they don’t die. Unbeknownst to anyone, Tyler’s Judas breed evolves into human-sized creatures with the ability to mimic their prey; humans. Mimic answers the question of just how lethal insects could be if they were large enough, and it’s rendered even more skin-crawling thanks to the grimy underground setting.

The Fly

The 1958 original doesn’t get enough attention for being a genuinely great sci-fi horror movie that showcases just how awful it would be to turn into a fly. David Cronenberg’s masterful remake, however, takes it to a whole new visceral level. The aspirations of scientist Seth Brundle (Jeff Goldblum) to fine-tune and present his teleportation devices turn to devastation when a housefly sneaks in, and its DNA merges with his own. His revolting transformation from human to Brundlefly delivers unparalleled body horror that will instill an instant aversion to flies. The coarse fly hairs and loss of teeth would be sufficient, but The Fly takes it a step further by having the viewer get up close and personal with the way flies eat; by regurgitating enzymes and saliva from their stomachs to dissolve food to a digestible liquid. Yikes.

Horror journalist, RT Top Critic, and Critics Choice Association member. Co-Host of the Bloody Disgusting Podcast. Has appeared on PBS series' Monstrum, served on the SXSW Midnighter shorts jury, and moderated horror panels for WonderCon and SeriesFest.

Editorials

Finding Faith and Violence in ‘The Book of Eli’ 14 Years Later

Published

on

Having grown up in a religious family, Christian movie night was something that happened a lot more often than I care to admit. However, back when I was a teenager, my parents showed up one night with an unusually cool-looking DVD of a movie that had been recommended to them by a church leader. Curious to see what new kind of evangelical propaganda my parents had rented this time, I proceeded to watch the film with them expecting a heavy-handed snoozefest.

To my surprise, I was a few minutes in when Denzel Washington proceeded to dismember a band of cannibal raiders when I realized that this was in fact a real movie. My mom was horrified by the flick’s extreme violence and dark subject matter, but I instantly became a fan of the Hughes Brothers’ faith-based 2010 thriller, The Book of Eli. And with the film’s atomic apocalypse having apparently taken place in 2024, I think this is the perfect time to dive into why this grim parable might also be entertaining for horror fans.

Originally penned by gaming journalist and The Walking Dead: The Game co-writer Gary Whitta, the spec script for The Book of Eli was already making waves back in 2007 when it appeared on the coveted Blacklist. It wasn’t long before Columbia and Warner Bros. snatched up the rights to the project, hiring From Hell directors Albert and Allen Hughes while also garnering attention from industry heavyweights like Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman.

After a series of revisions by Anthony Peckham meant to make the story more consumer-friendly, the picture was finally released in January of 2010, with the finished film following Denzel as a mysterious wanderer making his way across a post-apocalyptic America while protecting a sacred book. Along the way, he encounters a run-down settlement controlled by Bill Carnegie (Gary Oldman), a man desperate to get his hands on Eli’s book so he can motivate his underlings to expand his empire. Unwilling to let this power fall into the wrong hands, Eli embarks on a dangerous journey that will test the limits of his faith.

SO WHY IS IT WORTH WATCHING?

Judging by the film’s box-office success, mainstream audiences appear to have enjoyed the Hughes’ bleak vision of a future where everything went wrong, but critics were left divided by the flick’s trope-heavy narrative and unapologetic religious elements. And while I’ll be the first to admit that The Book of Eli isn’t particularly subtle or original, I appreciate the film’s earnest execution of familiar ideas.

For starters, I’d like to address the religious elephant in the room, as I understand the hesitation that some folks (myself included) might have about watching something that sounds like Christian propaganda. Faith does indeed play a huge part in the narrative here, but I’d argue that the film is more about the power of stories than a specific religion. The entire point of Oldman’s character is that he needs a unifying narrative that he can take advantage of in order to manipulate others, while Eli ultimately chooses to deliver his gift to a community of scholars. In fact, the movie even makes a point of placing the Bible in between equally culturally important books like the Torah and Quran, which I think is pretty poignant for a flick inspired by exploitation cinema.

Sure, the film has its fair share of logical inconsistencies (ranging from the extent of Eli’s Daredevil superpowers to his impossibly small Braille Bible), but I think the film more than makes up for these nitpicks with a genuine passion for classic post-apocalyptic cinema. Several critics accused the film of being a knockoff of superior productions, but I’d argue that both Whitta and the Hughes knowingly crafted a loving pastiche of genre influences like Mad Max and A Boy and His Dog.

Lastly, it’s no surprise that the cast here absolutely kicks ass. Denzel plays the title role of a stoic badass perfectly (going so far as to train with Bruce Lee’s protégée in order to perform his own stunts) while Oldman effortlessly assumes a surprisingly subdued yet incredibly intimidating persona. Even Mila Kunis is remarkably charming here, though I wish the script had taken the time to develop these secondary characters a little further. And hey, did I mention that Tom Waits is in this?

AND WHAT MAKES IT HORROR ADJACENT?

Denzel’s very first interaction with another human being in this movie results in a gory fight scene culminating in a face-off against a masked brute wielding a chainsaw (which he presumably uses to butcher travelers before eating them), so I think it’s safe to say that this dog-eat-dog vision of America will likely appeal to horror fans.

From diseased cannibals to hyper-violent motorcycle gangs roaming the wasteland, there’s plenty of disturbing R-rated material here – which is even more impressive when you remember that this story revolves around the bible. And while there are a few too many references to sexual assault for my taste, even if it does make sense in-universe, the flick does a great job of immersing you in this post-nuclear nightmare.

The excessively depressing color palette and obvious green screen effects may take some viewers out of the experience, but the beat-up and lived-in sets and costume design do their best to bring this dead world to life – which might just be the scariest part of the experience.

Ultimately, I believe your enjoyment of The Book of Eli will largely depend on how willing you are to overlook some ham-fisted biblical references in order to enjoy some brutal post-apocalyptic shenanigans. And while I can’t really blame folks who’d rather not deal with that, I think it would be a shame to miss out on a genuinely engaging thrill-ride because of one minor detail.

With that in mind, I’m incredibly curious to see what Whitta and the Hughes Brothers have planned for the upcoming prequel series starring John Boyega

There’s no understating the importance of a balanced media diet, and since bloody and disgusting entertainment isn’t exclusive to the horror genre, we’ve come up with Horror Adjacent – a recurring column where we recommend non-horror movies that horror fans might enjoy.

Continue Reading