Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Nobody tosses a Darth!" (Force-chokes offender)
    Mayhem. In a boilersuit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack the Pin View Post
      What's funny about watching the prequels is that the technology of the republic looks far superior to the technology of the Empire. There are machines in the "first" three films that make the Death Star look like so much papier mache and glue. I'm not talking movie SPX here, but the actual (fictional) tech displayed in the films. Was there some sort of recession after the Empire was established?
      The Empire was spending most of its money on a couple of top-of-the-range Death Stars.

I wouldn't say that the technology in the prequels looks superior, it just looks more aesthetically graceful (as you'd expect in a golden age of peace and prosperity, blahblahblah), whereas the Empire's tech is more about functionality. Their ships don't need to look pretty when they're blasting away at your planet.
      Mayhem. In a boilersuit.

Comment

• Those are good points.

Peace, prosperity, and elegance vs. oppression and harsh artless functionality

Excellent observation, sir.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack the Pin View Post
          Those are good points.

Peace, prosperity, and elegance vs. oppression and harsh artless functionality

Excellent observation, sir.
          Thank you kindly.

Also, on the Empire's aesthetic: perhaps the Emperor derives a perverse, cackling pleasure in making the Empire a place where beauty and artistry has been ruthlessly stamped out? He clearly seems to be a guy who gets his kicks by making people miserable. His Empire is one of battleship-grey metal and faceless enforcers and informers, like some kind of hope-crushing East Germany on a galactic scale.
          Mayhem. In a boilersuit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boilersuit_Mayhem View Post
            The Empire was spending most of its money on a couple of top-of-the-range Death Stars.
            [YOUTUBE]3F1d3QWsyk0[/YOUTUBE]

Originally posted by Boilersuit_Mayhem View Post
            "Nobody tosses a Darth!" (Force-chokes offender)

Comment

• I've never seen any of the Star Wars films. Does that make me a bad person
              ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by horrorking95 View Post
                I've never seen any of the Star Wars films. Does that make me a bad person
                I'm sorry but yes, it does.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoxodo View Post
                  I'm sorry but yes, it does.
                  Oh...

Comment

Oh...
                    Don't fret. You've got plenty of time to catch up before those anti-Semite moneygrubbers at Disney destroy everything.

Comment

Comment

Nah, but it does make me wonder how you've managed to avoid them. How have you pulled that off?
                        Mayhem. In a boilersuit.

Comment

Nah, but it does make me wonder how you've managed to avoid them. How have you pulled that off?
                          Well I haven't really managed to avoid THEM per se. E.g. I know all the characters: Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Jabber-something-or-other, R2D2 etc. and I know the huge twist (thanks to Toy Story 2) I've just not watched any of them!

I don't know why, they've just not really interested me since I was a child. I also come from a sci-fi hating family, which has probably rubbed off on me a little.

Perhaps next time the first one comes up on TV I'll give it a watch and see what all the fuss is about!

Comment

Well I haven't really managed to avoid THEM per se. E.g. I know all the characters: Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Jabber-something-or-other, R2D2 etc. and I know the huge twist (thanks to Toy Story 2) I've just not watched any of them!

I don't know why, they've just not really interested me since I was a child. I also come from a sci-fi hating family, which has probably rubbed off on me a little.

Perhaps next time the first one comes up on TV I'll give it a watch and see what all the fuss is about!
                            A "sci-fi hating family"

"Gordon's alive?!?" (shakes angry fist at Flash Gordon)

I hope by "the first one", you're talking about the, uh, original first one and not the first of the prequels. Mistakenly watching 'The Phantom Menace' first could be enough to put you off the rest of the 'Star Wars' movies for life.
                            Mayhem. In a boilersuit.

Comment

A "sci-fi hating family"

"Gordon's alive?!?" (shakes angry fist at Flash Gordon)

I hope by "the first one", you're talking about the, uh, original first one and not the first of the prequels. Mistakenly watching 'The Phantom Menace' first could be enough to put you off the rest of the 'Star Wars' movies for life.
                              I meant the original one. What's it called again? Episode IV: The New Hope or something? I know they're done in a funny order or something.

Comment

I meant the original one. What's it called again? Episode IV: The New Hope or something? I know they're done in a funny order or something.
                                It's simply called 'Star Wars' to those of us who are old enough to have always referred to it as such. To you young buggers, it's 'Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope'.
                                Mayhem. In a boilersuit.

Comment

Working...
                                X