Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by horrorking95 View Post
    OK as promised, Star Wars Episode IV popped onto the TV last week and I decided to record it. Last night I watched it and I'm a bit scared about writing my thoughts, because they aren't good ones.

Clearly I'm in the wrong here, because it's voted as one of the greatest films ever made, but I honestly fail to see how. I know that it was made in 1977, but even still the bad effects and sets weighed it down for me. It often looked like people pissing around in bad home-made costumes and the sets were quite obviously nothing more than cardboard.

The plot also seemed to be very similar to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, so I kept thinking to myself that how much better the Lord of the Rings is compared to this (in terms of films because I haven't read the books). It was also very basic if you think about it- Boy meets robots, boy goes in fast space ship with gang, gang have a series of mis-haps on evil planet thingy, boy saves the day with an extremely long-winded and frankly dull dog fight.

I found the characters quite uninteresting. I mean Luke Skywalker is a walking cliché right down to his name! Although, I did quite enjoy the camp gold robot. I also thought that the story was a bit confused, for instance who the hell was that big bear and why did he come along for the ride? And why didn't Darth Vader just crush the gang of odd-balls with his telekinetic powers? I also didn't think that Darth Vader was in it enough to warrant being one of cinemas all time greatest villains.

For me it was all a bit too nerdy and it also looks very shabby by today's standards. The action scenes were very poorly directed with there being too many close-ups to tell what's going on. I also thought the acting was pretty bad too.

Sorry for ripping into it fans, but as a new-comer I was not impressed. However, on a lighter note I did enjoy its creative visuals and I liked how it didn't take itself too seriously (well, how could it have!?).

For that I give it a 4/10

I don't think I'll even bother with the sequel and also, where the heck was Yoda?
    Im sorry you didnt like it, i on the other hand fucking love it

Ill be honest i dont like the prequels as much as the original trilogy, but does anyone?
    Check out my movie Blog http://wildcinemamoviereviews.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

• I watched The Empire Strikes back last night and whilst a big step in the right direction, I still fail to see why it's so popular and even has the #11 spot in IMDb's top 250!

I have to say that I enjoyed the time in the snowy land. The effects were much better (although those dinosaur things were quite clearly bad puppets, sometimes you could even see the stick holding them up!) and the directing was also miles better than the first one. The sequence where Luke takes down those big mammoth like things (inspired by LOTR again maybe?) was really well done. Also, Mark Hamill was much less hammy and annoying and everything just looked much more polished.

Darth Vader was also a better character in it. I also enjoyed Yoda who I thought was really funny and cute. I don't know how it moved in some parts, maybe a midget was inside? However, the plot started to go downhill from Yoda's meeting and lacked focus by meandering round with Han Solo and co. who didn't really have a lot to do. Also, that big foot creature seems so unnecessary. I found myself bursting out laughing every time it moaned because it just sounded like it was in pain! I also thought it was a pretty bad costume.

I found a lot of parts boring, due to the lack of action and the climatic battle between Darth Vader and Luke wasn't as amazing as everyone bangs on about. I thought it was especially sloppy when the camera cutaway during the battle to Harrison Ford pissing about! Personally, I prefer the spoof in Toy Story 2.

So all in all it wasn't that bad. It looked good for the most part, but the screenplay really is not up to scratch and I also thought it was too long. I have no desire to see the sequel, especially as die-hard fans themselves see it as the weakest of the original trilogy.

At least I gave it a go. In the end it's just not my cup of tea.

6/10
      ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

I watched The Empire Strikes back last night and whilst a big step in the right direction, I still fail to see why it's so popular and even has the #11 spot in IMDb's top 250!

I have to say that I enjoyed the time in the snowy land. The effects were much better (although those dinosaur things were quite clearly bad puppets, sometimes you could even see the stick holding them up!) and the directing was also miles better than the first one. The sequence where Luke takes down those big mammoth like things (inspired by LOTR again maybe?) was really well done. Also, Mark Hamill was much less hammy and annoying and everything just looked much more polished.

Darth Vader was also a better character in it. I also enjoyed Yoda who I thought was really funny and cute. I don't know how it moved in some parts, maybe a midget was inside? However, the plot started to go downhill from Yoda's meeting and lacked focus by meandering round with Han Solo and co. who didn't really have a lot to do. Also, that big foot creature seems so unnecessary. I found myself bursting out laughing every time it moaned because it just sounded like it was in pain! I also thought it was a pretty bad costume.

I found a lot of parts boring, due to the lack of action and the climatic battle between Darth Vader and Luke wasn't as amazing as everyone bangs on about. I thought it was especially sloppy when the camera cutaway during the battle to Harrison Ford pissing about! Personally, I prefer the spoof in Toy Story 2.

So all in all it wasn't that bad. It looked good for the most part, but the screenplay really is not up to scratch and I also thought it was too long. I have no desire to see the sequel, especially as die-hard fans themselves see it as the weakest of the original trilogy.

6/10
        At least you gave them a go, my brother flat out refuses to watch them calling them "nerdy shit"
        Check out my movie Blog http://wildcinemamoviereviews.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

• The whole reason for the Wampas (bigfoot things) was because Mark Hamil/Luke had been in a car accident got his face scarred a bit and the Wampa attack was suppose to explain the difference in his appearance.
          Electric 6 Radio Ga Ga
          Chemical Romance Welcome To The Black Parade
          Beatfreakz Somebody's Watching Me
          The Darkness I Believe In A Thing Called Love
          Boogie Pimps Somebody To Love
          Nightcore Land Of Confusion
          Bif Naked Moment Of Weakness
          Rend Collective My Lighthouse
          Dickies Killer Klowns From Outer Space
          Garbage Special
          Cardigans My Favorite Game
          Living Colour Cult of Personality
          Limousines Internet Killed The Video Star
          Alien Ant Farm Smooth Criminal
          Sasha D Russian Girls
          Scatman John Scatman

Comment

I watched The Empire Strikes back last night and whilst a big step in the right direction, I still fail to see why it's so popular and even has the #11 spot in IMDb's top 250!

6/10
            You obviously just don't get Star Wars. I see you nitpicking over the silliest of reasons.

Weak screenplay, no action, bad editing, it's boring, bad effects etc etc. What an absolute crock. Empire is the best film for a reason. It's masterfully directed, the screenplay is a lot better, the characters face major peril etc. It's a classic middle story.

Please don't watch Return of the Jedi. You're opinions are way off the mark. I don't think I could handle another post from you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusted View Post
              You obviously just don't get Star Wars. I see you nitpicking over the silliest of reasons.

Weak screenplay, no action, bad editing, it's boring, bad effects etc etc. What an absolute crock. Empire is the best film for a reason. It's masterfully directed, the screenplay is a lot better, the characters face major peril etc. It's a classic middle story.

Please don't watch Return of the Jedi. You're opinions are way off the mark. I don't think I could handle another post from you.
              Personally I think Return is a lot better. I'm interested to see how it rips it apart though.

Watch it.
              "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.

Comment

• Star Wars certainly shows its seams nowadays but I love watching them... Not what I would call the greatest films of all time but not bad. 4/10 for New Hope and 6/10 for Empire Strikes Back seems kind of cruel.

Comment

• horrorking, just skip Jedi and go straight to the prequels. l get the feeling you are their target demographic. Theres this character named Jar-Jar who you will most likely adore.

Comment

• I am still anxiously awaiting the day, when Disney will pronounce that they will make an HD (or 2K/4K) mastering of all the three original, untouched films. Just imagine how many fans they will retrieve into the Star Wars boat, after Lucas' has pissed gallons of toxic Lucas piss all over them. Would be a wise move, not only a commercial one.
                    Fuck me, I want to own these on Blu-ray.

Originally posted by Rusted View Post
                    "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
                    Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

• Originally posted by Do0kie89 View Post
                      At least you gave them a go, my brother flat out refuses to watch them calling them "nerdy shit"
                      Your brother isn't far wrong

Originally posted by Rusted View Post

I think a weak screenplay, little action, bad editing, boring scenes and bad effects are far from nit-picking. A film relies on a great screenplay! Don't worry though, I won't put you through another post of mine

Originally posted by oxley View Post
                      Personally I think Return is a lot better. I'm interested to see how it rips it apart though.

Watch it.
                      I don't think I have the stamina to see antoher

Originally posted by yoxodo View Post
                      horrorking, just skip Jedi and go straight to the prequels. l get the feeling you are their target demographic. Theres this character named Jar-Jar who you will most likely adore.
                      To be fair, I've seen pictures of Jar-Jar and he does look great. The best thing about Star Wars is its creativity which gets lost in a lot of films today. However, I am not sitting through the prequels if even the fans think they're shit!
                      ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by yoxodo View Post
                        horrorking, just skip Jedi and go straight to the prequels. l get the feeling you are their target demographic. Theres this character named Jar-Jar who you will most likely adore.
                        I love Jar-Jar. And the prequels.
                        "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.

Comment

• Comment

• [YOUTUBE]kQ4jZr1w0AI&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

DVDs

Recent Flicks
                            Jurassic World - 7/10
                            Speed - 8.5/10
                            John Wick - 9.5/10
                            The Omen III: The Final Conflict - 7/10
                            Interstellar - 8/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Hag View Post
                              [YOUTUBE]kQ4jZr1w0AI&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]
                              That man is damned icon.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxley View Post
                                I love Jar-Jar.

Comment

Working...
                                X