85th Annual Academy Awards (2013)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
    I can compare this to Zodiac in that its one giant, intricate manhunt. Obviously I'm not saying ZDT is like Zodiac in most of its elements, but its an exciting mystery capped with one of the most intense war/combat scenes I've ever seen.

Definitely a more focused film than The Hurt Locker, but just as expansive as other big, mystery-driven films. It takes place over the corse of a decade. Acting is just. fucking. amazing. Really emotional as well. I love it. I'll write more about it after I watch it again.
    I didnt bother to watch The Hurt Locker...but "Zero Dark Thirty"...I will.

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
      I didnt bother to watch The Hurt Locker...but "Zero Dark Thirty"...I will.
      :/

Why not? It's really excellent.

Comment

Nah, it's one of the most overrated movies of all time. Even within it's "War/soldier movie" genre, I wouldn't even put it in the top 10, and probably not even top 20.

It's got some good acting, and is pretty authentic, but the overall experience is pretty meh. It's like watching an episode of "Bomb Patrol Afganistan".

Comment

I can compare this to Zodiac in that its one giant, intricate manhunt. Obviously I'm not saying ZDT is like Zodiac in most of its elements, but its an exciting mystery capped with one of the most intense war/combat scenes I've ever seen.

Acting is just. fucking. amazing.
          Really emotional as well. I love it. I'll write more about it after I watch it again.
          Basically a film again just made for the big screen. But I will make an exception this time, will swallow the thing tonite.

Seems so, that Bigelow is a damn dependable filmmaker.
          Hurt Locker was solid, but nothing that super amazing. And surely not Best Picture-like, just rock solid.
          "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
          Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
            Nah, it's one of the most overrated movies of all time. Even within it's "War/soldier movie" genre, I wouldn't even put it in the top 10, and probably not even top 20.

It's got some good acting, and is pretty authentic, but the overall experience is pretty meh. It's like watching an episode of "Bomb Patrol Afganistan".
            I disagree strongly.

Edit

If you didn't like that film for those reasons you probably won't like this.

Comment

I disagree strongly.

Edit

If you didn't like that film for those reasons you probably won't like this.
              I just though THL was trying to be more profound than it really was. I put it in the same vein as something like Syrianna, or that flick with Dicaprio and Russle Crowe. More focussed with the authenticity of the situation, rather than a having a strong narrative.

Well made and all, but that style is very hit or miss for me.

Comment

I just though THL was trying to be more profound than it really was. I put it in the same vein as something like Syrianna, or that flick with Dicaprio and Russle Crowe. More focussed with the authenticity of the situation, rather than a having a strong narrative.

Well made and all, but that style is very hit or miss for me.
                Stylistically this film is similar to THL, but it is much more of a narrative film.

Comment

Never seen it either, and it's in my house.

I'll have to disagree there. My friends boyfriend does the same thing in the army. And he told me he couldn't even finish it, he said the amount of utter bullshit thats in that film is ridicules. He said it just isn't how they do things. I haven't seen it, and after that coming from the horses mouth, well, I don't have any plans to.
                  "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
                  Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
                  My little idiot..

Comment

I watched Zero Dark Thirty last night.

I'm going to watch it again in about 30 minutes and I'll report back with my thoughts.

After the first viewing I can safely say this is easily one of the best movies of the year.
                    I'm going to give this a watch. I didn't think much of Hurt Locker but I hear this is way better.

Comment

Originally posted by oxley View Post
                      I'll have to disagree there. My friends boyfriend does the same thing in the army. And he told me he couldn't even finish it, he said the amount of utter bullshit thats in that film is ridicules. He said it just isn't how they do things. I haven't seen it, and after that coming from the horses mouth, well, I don't have any plans to.
                      What thing does he? Interrogating persons, who are suspects being terrorists? A normal soldier can't judge such a thing from his narrow point of view. This operation was way more than only interrogating and torturing people. It was an absolute political issue for a whole decade.
                      There's no way your friends boyfriend is so omniscient.

By the way, it's a good film. Typically Bigelow style, reminded me sometimes on THL, but this time in the office. Not so much the action, which takes place mainly at the end of it. The storming of Bin Ladens compound was brilliantly exectued and worth watching the film alone. Too bad it is at the end of it and the screening copy so damn dark and blurry. The one who put it on the interwebs must have pretty big balls.

I would give it a solid 8/10.
                      "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
                      Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

I don't get what issue he would have with it. There wasn't exactly anything too unbelievable about the film.

I can see a soldier saying that about a film like Apocalypse Now, but THL was about as matter of fact as you can get. Now, I'm no soldier, but from all the information I've gathered about modern military operations, through books, documentaries, and news reports, THL is as real as it gets.

You sure he was talking about THL?

Comment

There was absolutely zero involvement from the US Military in The Hurt Locker, so if it is inaccurate I wouldn't be surprised. But I don't give a fuck, its a movie.

Comment

Definitely a more focused film than The Hurt Locker, but just as expansive as other big, mystery-driven films. It takes place over the corse of a decade. Acting is just. fucking. amazing. Really emotional as well. I love it. I'll write more about it after I watch it again.
                            Knew you'd enjoy it. I've got three viewings in already, it's really a great film. The cinematography brings this amazing gritty realism to it, the acting is outstanding (especially Chastain, she's something else) and Bigelow knows how to direct a god damn film. And, the climax is fucking perfection.

I've seen it and I enjoyed it, but I'm with you here on the bullshit factor. My cousin's husband is special forces and has been over there and seen this stuff first hand and he told me, though he enjoys it as a film, that it is a load of shit.

Zero Dark Thirty is most definitely a superior film to The Hurt Locker.

Comment

Ain't that the truth. Sometimes the Oscars get confused and actually give the awards to the deserving.

It was also very nice seeing Baker get one for his Wolf-Man. I'm sure he was so touched by it, as Jack Pierce is the reason he even got into the art.
                              rick baker has definitely received oscar love. also, frederic march, kathy bates, martin landeau, silence of the lambs.

i also applaud kim bassinger going off script for the 89 oscars and essentially saying (i paraphrase) "driving miss daisy is uncle tom clap-trap; spike lee's do the right thing is truth and we've ignored it." then to see her win a richly deserved award for la confidential was really gratifying.

2015 all-genre draft
                              1. hero at large (1980)
                              2. mystery men (1999)
                              3. super (2010)
                              4. the return of swamp thing (1989)
                              5. batman returns (1992)
                              6, spider-man strikes back (197
                              7. the specials (2000)
                              8. darkman (1990)
                              9. supergirl (1984)
                              10. defendor (2009)

Comment

Originally posted by Santa Sangre View Post
                                What thing does he? Interrogating persons, who are suspects being terrorists? A normal soldier can't judge such a thing from his narrow point of view. This operation was way more than only interrogating and torturing people. It was an absolute political issue for a whole decade.
                                There's no way your friends boyfriend is so omniscient.

By the way, it's a good film. Typically Bigelow style, reminded me sometimes on THL, but this time in the office. Not so much the action, which takes place mainly at the end of it. The storming of Bin Ladens compound was brilliantly exectued and worth watching the film alone. Too bad it is at the end of it and the screening copy so damn dark and blurry. The one who put it on the interwebs must have pretty big balls.

I would give it a solid 8/10.
                                I don't really care what you'd rate it, and my guess is you aren't in the military. But, he has, and his job is within a bomb disarming team.

I don't get what issue he would have with it. There wasn't exactly anything too unbelievable about the film.

I can see a soldier saying that about a film like Apocalypse Now, but THL was about as matter of fact as you can get. Now, I'm no soldier, but from all the information I've gathered about modern military operations, through books, documentaries, and news reports, THL is as real as it gets.

You sure he was talking about THL?
                                100% I asked him if he'd seen it. He just said he was watching it and he didn't bother finishing. He was saying there is zero way in hell the reactions that are on the movie is what would be done in a real life situation. He said all of his mates thought the same.

I guess just the way it's all handled or something, I don't know I haven't seen it.

Originally posted by Gabberhouse24 View Post
                                I've seen it and I enjoyed it, but I'm with you here on the bullshit factor. My cousin's husband is special forces and has been over there and seen this stuff first hand and he told me, though he enjoys it as a film, that it is a load of shit.
                                I'll watch it one day. I don't care how realistic it is or not, but I just remember him getting rather upset as how people were treating it as a very realistic war film. Next time he comes home, if I see him I'll bring it back up again and try to get some more clear answers out of him. I'll try watching it before hand so I'll know what to ask about.
                                "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
                                Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
                                My little idiot..

Comment

Working...
                                X