85th Annual Academy Awards (2013)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Santa Sangre View Post
    I always had the impression he was playing himself, just like Nicholson in "As Good...". The german dialogue passages added tremendously to that conclusion, also the longer screen presence. He is imo better when being funny, serves his Austrian/Vienna character pretty well. Sometimes I even felt he was the leading actor.
    Though, the performance of the sarcastic character in Basterds was executed flawlessly.
    I think you're understating his Basterds performance a little bit. He was sarcastic, but he was also terrifying, charming, funny, manipulative, and highly intelligent, all while having to speak four or five different languages fluently. The diversity required for the Landa role, is insane.

Don't get me wrong, he was great in Django, but he was basically playing one dimension of the Landa character throughout.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heretic View Post
      I think you're understating his Basterds performance a little bit. He was sarcastic, but he was also terrifying, charming, funny, manipulative, and highly intelligent, all while having to speak four or five different languages fluently. The diversity required for the Landa role, is insane.

Don't get me wrong, he was great in Django, but he was basically playing one dimension of the Landa character throughout.
      Well, I yesterday detected three languages. . He isn't that one dimensional, since he didn't have no qualms to shoot some bunch of slavetraders and one sadistic landowner.
      "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
      Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Well, I yesterday detected three languages. . He isn't that one dimensional, since he didn't have no qualms to shoot some bunch of slavetraders and one sadistic landowner.
        I'm going to guess you didn't include English? French, Italian, German, annnnnnnd English.

As for Django, he was a charming hitman. Killing folks goes with the territory. It doesn't add any dimension to his character. That's who he was.

Comment

• I thought Waltz was great in both of them. He really carried the first half of Django Unchained, but ultimately I agree with Heretic. He didn't quite have the same depth.

Having said that, very few characters are as fascinating as Landa.

Comment

• (lincoln) needs to take this this year.

Comment

• Best Picture of the Year
              Looper.

It's a travesty it wasn't nominated, for anything. Also, Deakins should have both been nominated and won for Skyfall.

I need to see Amour.

inhale

exhale

Comment

• I havnt seen "Prometheus" yet, but from the trailers and clips I have seen, it looks like "The Hobbit" and "Life Of Pi" will be duking it out with this film for Best Visual Effects.

Comment

• "Argo" has just won the Producers Guild Award. Looks like we have our Best Picture winner.

Comment

• Well well well.....Lead Actress is heating up with the recent BAFTA winner. This is what we got so far with the major award winners:

Emmanuelle Riva - National Society, Los Angeles, and BAFTA
                    Jennifer Lawrence - Los Angeles, Golden Globe(comedy), Critics Choice(comedy), and Screen Actors GUild
                    Jessica Chastain - Golden Globe(drama), Critics Choice, National Board Review

I think Lawrence is in the lead, but Riva's BAFTA win pushes her forward too. I think I place Chastain 3rd.

Comment

• Early predictions in major categories (not my final yet)

Best Picture - Argo
                      Best Actor - DDL - Lincoln
                      Best Supporting Actress - Anne Hathaway - Les Mis
                      Best Original Screenplay - Quentin Tarantino for DU

Too close too call... but I'll give these a show

Best Actress - Jennifer Lawrence - SLP
                      Best Supporting Actor - Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln
                      Best Direction - Stephen Spielberg - Lincoln

I think its safe to say Argo will win Best Picture.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Revelator View Post

I think its safe to say Argo will win Best Picture.
                        Why not Lincoln? Plus, Best Screenplay and Best Picture goes in most cases in conclusion.
                        "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
                        Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Why not Lincoln? Plus, Best Screenplay and Best Picture goes in most cases in conclusion.
                          All of the momentum is for Argo. It'll be the first movie to win Best Picture without a director nomination since Driving Miss Daisy.

I liked Argo more than Lincoln, so that makes me happy. Lincoln's spot as the front runner has been fizzling since the nominations were announced. Almost zero precursor awards (especially major ones... DGA, PGA, BAFTA. etc...) are supporting it for a big win. No sir, Argo is going to win.

Comment

• Having said that, I personally wanted Django Unchained or Silver Linging's Playbook to win. Both of those make all 7 other nominations seems like child's play.

Comment

• The only oscar nominated films I've seen are Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Django Unchained, Texas Chainsaw 3D and The Master.

Personally I'd give Phoenix best actor over Day Lewis but couldn't complain if Lewis wins as it was a great performance.

Even though Django has some minor flaws its the film that my heart goes for and will be most loved by me.

Lincoln's screenplay was fantastic making a courtroom drama so engaging with tremendous dialogue. It's not a film I'd want to re-watch though and I found Zero Dark Thirty a more compelling/thrilling telling of historical events and Jessica Chastain was fantastic.

I've also seen Paranorman and I'd be dissapointed if Frankenweenie etc. aren't better than it in the Animated Film category.

Really want to see Argo, Silver linings playbook and Amour.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                                Having said that, I personally wanted Django Unchained or Silver Linging's Playbook to win. Both of those make all 7 other nominations seems like child's play.

If this is truly the case I'll pass on the other seven nominations, for the rest of my life.

I want to/need to see Amour, more than likely, it's better than both of 'em.

inhale

exhale

Comment

Working...
                                X