The Impossible (2012)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by capecep View Post
    I read a review of this film that called it "deplorable". It stated that it glosses over the pain and suffering of the indigenous people to focus on a rich white family to a schmaltzy and predictable end. The movie is supposed to be pure unadulterated Oscar bait. After reading that review, I can't imagine sitting through it.
    The only difference between the family in the film and the real life family is the color of their skin. The real family was a super rich Spanish family vacationing in Thailand, they made them British for whatever reason. The movie has he same ending as the real family had. This is their story. THe local population is represented constantly throughout the film.

This change has brought out the secret racist in many people. Rich is rich, who cares what ethnicity they are. Apparently survivors of the actual event have reported that this film is insanely accurate in its depiction.

Get over it and see the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
      The only difference between the family in the film and the real life family is the color of their skin. The real family was a super rich Spanish family vacationing in Thailand, they made them British for whatever reason. The movie has he same ending as the real family had. This is their story. THe local population is represented constantly throughout the film.

This change has brought out the secret racist in many people. Rich is rich, who cares what ethnicity they are. Apparently survivors of the actual event have reported that this film is insanely accurate in its depiction.

The racial difference that the reviewer was concerned with, is that film is focused on a vacationing family, while making the people most affected by the tragedy a backdrop and extras in their own story. NOT whether the protagonists were Spanish or English. It's equivalent to someone telling you that their Dad just died from cancer, and you say that "I had a mole removed once." I don't know why some folks always want to control the conversation and make it about themselves, as evidenced by the point of view that the story takes place, but it's right there in plain sight. I don't need to get over anything, I was just saying what a review said from a trusted critic. I don't have the time to see everything, so that's why I read reviews, especially from outside of BD, so I don't waste my time with stuff I probably won't like. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
      Last edited by Dr. McStuffin; 02-03-2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

The racial difference that the reviewer was concerned with, is that film is focused on a vacationing family, while making the people most affected by the tragedy a backdrop and extras in their own story. NOT whether the protagonists were Spanish or English. It's equivalent to someone telling you that their Dad just died from cancer, and you say that "I had a mole removed once." I don't know why some folks aways want to control the conversation and make it about themselves, as evidenced by the point of view that the story takes place, but it's right there in plain sight. I don't need to get over anything, I was just saying what a review said from a trusted critic. I don't have the time to see everything, so that's why I read reviews, especially from outside of BD, so I don't waste my time with stuff I probably won't like. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
        I definitely don't see it as a racist film at all even if the story was taken and twisted as ALL stories are usually but it's 10 times easier finding British/American actors then spanish actors not to mention the makers of the film want it to be a success so have to bring in recognized names.
        <a href=https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNs0YcCVAAEiEHI.jpg target=_blank>https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNs0YcCVAAEiEHI.jpg</a>
        R.I.P.

Comment

The racial difference that the reviewer was concerned with, is that film is focused on a vacationing family, while making the people most affected by the tragedy a backdrop and extras in their own story. NOT whether the protagonists were Spanish or English. It's equivalent to someone telling you that their Dad just died from cancer, and you say that "I had a mole removed once." I don't know why some folks always want to control the conversation and make it about themselves, as evidenced by the point of view that the story takes place, but it's right there in plain sight. I don't need to get over anything, I was just saying what a review said from a trusted critic. I don't have the time to see everything, so that's why I read reviews, especially from outside of BD, so I don't waste my time with stuff I probably won't like. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
          These vacationers when through the experience all the same, there is no need to compare or weigh whose tragedy is worse. THe film does a surprisingly excellent job of showing multiple angles of the tsunami. I don't see how focusing on a rich family is an issue... this movie could have been made from 02801283 different perspectives.

I acknowledged your argument and elaborated on another issue people are pointing out with the film.

Some of you guys are so sensitive... why do you guys start fighting and arguing over a discussion so quickly?
          Last edited by The Revelator; 02-03-2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Revelator View Post

I watched this tonight and I read that the real Maria wanted Naomi Watts to play her. Why a spanish woman would want an austrailian blonde to play herself is beyond me.
            "I will do what Queens do. I will rule."

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Enchantress View Post
              I watched this tonight and I read that the real Maria wanted Naomi Watts to play her. Why a spanish woman would want an austrailian blonde to play herself is beyond me.
              Maybe Naomi is one of her favorite actresses? C'mon people, ethnicity doesn't mean anything.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
              I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Se7en XxSinzXx View Post
                Maybe Naomi is one of her favorite actresses? C'mon people, ethnicity doesn't mean anything.
                so true

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Enchantress View Post
                  What did u think of the movie?

Comment

anyone know how high the waves were when this happened in 2004?

Comment

Working...
                    X