Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Impossible (2012)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Impossible (2012)

    "The Impossible"......The 2004 Boxing Day tsunami was one of those events that put our lives into perspective, and the film achieves the same feat. Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts play the parents of three children who decide to spend an exotic Christmas in Thailand. When the inevitable does happen, the following 15 minutes are intense, realistic and terrifying. An onslaught of terrific practical special effects and incredible sound design hits us with an impact. However, after that concentrated outburst, the drama shifts down a gear to a more intimate, personal level, which is no less frightful. Naomi Watts is wonderful as "Maria" and is deserving of her Oscar nomination for Best Actress. Her young co-star Tom Holland(Lucas) is terrific, and along with Watts bring a huge emotional impact to the film. It's about the smaller picture. By focusing on the survival of this one family rather than the scale of the event itself, a better, and more human, representation of the disaster is displayed. However, I do think they should have had more scenes with the Island natives and also there should have been more dead body carnage shown in various spots. We see mother and son treading through water and debris during the aftermath, but hardly see any bodies. If this was done it would have been just a little more intense and heightened the devastation just a tiny bit more. But all in all, this is a powerfull and very well done movie. Full of intense, devastating, dramatic, and gut wrenching scenes!!

    8/10

  • #2
    Would have loved to see Tom Holland net an Oscar nomination for Supporting Actor. The kid is deserving of one with this film, and should have been in Alan Arkin's(Argo) spot on the ballot.

    Naomi Watts is deserving of her Best Actress nomination, so I am happy about that. Not enough to win, but the nomination is honorable for her.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
      Would have loved to see Tom Holland net an Oscar nomination for Supporting Actor. The kid is deserving of one with this film, and should have been in Alan Arkin's(Argo) spot on the ballot.

      Naomi Watts is deserving of her Best Actress nomination, so I am happy about that. Not enough to win, but the nomination is honorable for her.
      Such a great film.

      I think this is the first disaster movie that I've seen that has made me feel for the characters in the film. Usually it's just mindless nonsense but here it's brutal, sad and wonderfully acted.

      And Naomi Watts is fucking amazing, as usual.


      Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
      I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

      Comment


      • #4
        a heartbreaking and intense drama. the main cast is strong. had a bit of an issue in some scenes with some editing and directing though.

        (7/10)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Se7en XxSinzXx View Post
          Such a great film.

          I think this is the first disaster movie that I've seen that has made me feel for the characters in the film. Usually it's just mindless nonsense but here it's brutal, sad and wonderfully acted.

          And Naomi Watts is fucking amazing, as usual.
          Yep...so true.

          This movie should have also been Oscar nominated for production design/art direction and even perhaps for music score.

          Comment


          • #6
            This finally opened here, going in a few hours with my girlfriend!

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm looking forward to seeing this, I nearly broke down in tears just watching the trailer, I'm gonna be emotionally wrecked after watching the whole film

              Comment


              • #8
                I read Oscar odds on the 28th, I think, and Naomi Watts has the upper hand? Will be a toss between her and Lawrence. The kid is lucky to be there, Jessica Chastain was insufferable, and I didn't see Amour so I'm not sure of Emmanuelle Riva.

                Forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by brokenandtwisted View Post
                  I read Oscar odds on the 28th, I think, and Naomi Watts has the upper hand? Will be a toss between her and Lawrence. The kid is lucky to be there, Jessica Chastain was insufferable, and I didn't see Amour so I'm not sure of Emmanuelle Riva.
                  I think Chastain already has the Oscar in the bag.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                    I think Chastain already has the Oscar in the bag.
                    Nah. She didn't get the SAG, she might not have Academy support. I'd bet on it.

                    Forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by brokenandtwisted View Post
                      Nah. She didn't get the SAG, she might not have Academy support. I'd bet on it.
                      She's won far more precursor awards. Its either Lawrence or Chastain. All others are wayyyy far behind.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just got back. Boy, what a chore to get through. Not because its a bad movie, but it is insanely emotional and truly heartbreaking. Every 5 minutes there was a great scene that contained heightened emotion, human cooperation, and humanity. Incredible performances, I thought Watts was fantastic and McGregor was even better.

                        2 or 3 times it got a bit sentimental, but I feel even at that these are things I hope humans never stop being sentimental about. Dragged only for a short time. Ultimately a thrilling adventure with a non-stop onslaught of emotion.

                        9/10

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                          Just got back. Boy, what a chore to get through. Not because its a bad movie, but it is insanely emotional and truly heartbreaking. Every 5 minutes there was a great scene that contained heightened emotion, human cooperation, and humanity. Incredible performances, I thought Watts was fantastic and McGregor was even better.

                          2 or 3 times it got a bit sentimental, but I feel even at that these are things I hope humans never stop being sentimental about. Dragged only for a short time. Ultimately a thrilling adventure with a non-stop onslaught of emotion.

                          9/10


                          I had some major issues with some of the pacing of the scenes in the health centers, but other than that it was a fantastic film.


                          Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                          I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                            Just got back. Boy, what a chore to get through. Not because its a bad movie, but it is insanely emotional and truly heartbreaking. Every 5 minutes there was a great scene that contained heightened emotion, human cooperation, and humanity. Incredible performances, I thought Watts was fantastic and McGregor was even better.

                            2 or 3 times it got a bit sentimental, but I feel even at that these are things I hope humans never stop being sentimental about. Dragged only for a short time. Ultimately a thrilling adventure with a non-stop onslaught of emotion.

                            9/10
                            Its a shame Holland and McGregor were overlooked.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I read a review of this film that called it "deplorable". It stated that it glosses over the pain and suffering of the indigenous people to focus on a rich white family to a schmaltzy and predictable end. The movie is supposed to be pure unadulterated Oscar bait. After reading that review, I can't imagine sitting through it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X