Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life Of Pi (2012)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Life Of Pi (2012)

    "Life Of Pi"......Oh where to begin here? First off the spiritual themes are simple and deep and raise more questions about faith and belief than answer anything. It's a wonderful story about storytelling and how telling our stories can get us through the most horrible life experiences and to help deal with the aftermath of them. There are some very moving scenes, and they brought me to tears. The movie is beautifully shot and I was also impressed with the main 2 performances. Suraj Sharma as teen "Pi" is charming, funny, and pretty solid, while Irrfan Khan as the older "Pi" was fantastically genuine and warm. Adil Hussain as Pi's "father" was also a joy to watch and had a pivotal supporting role. The characters are so rich and full of life and the movie is very character driven. The special effects are top notch. The animators did a wonderful and accurate job of bringing "Richard Parker" to life and making him the active and vital character that is so incredibly essential to the success of this story. Terrific cinematography and art direction, solid music score, and fantastic direction by Ang Lee also highlight the movie. Nominated for 11 Academy Awards including Best Picture!!

    9/10

  • #2


    Ang Lee...this director made Coruching Tiger Hidden Dragon. And now this. C'mon, man.
    "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
    Scott Vogel from Terror

    Comment


    • #3
      The book was awesome, but I'll wait till this hits Netflix Instant.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Santa Sangre View Post


        Ang Lee...this director made Coruching Tiger Hidden Dragon. And now this. C'mon, man.


        This movie is incredibly good. Well deserving of every nomination.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Santa Sangre View Post


          Ang Lee...this director made Coruching Tiger Hidden Dragon. And now this. C'mon, man.
          So whats ur problem with Ang Lee and his movies?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by The Revelator View Post

            This movie is incredibly good. Well deserving of every nomination.
            Very true. But no review on it?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
              Very true. But no review on it?
              Here are some thoughts after a few days of thinking about it.

              First of all, it was nothing like I had expected it to be. I was expecting a much more melodramatic survival movie. My girlfriend and myself were kind of confused on why he wasn't on a boat after 30 minutes of the movie. Not that we were bored, but it was definitely going in a direction we weren't expecting. Of course, everything from the beginning comes full circle and is used to reinforce the ideas about spiritualism that Ang Lee was getting across.

              Another thing, this movie is drop dead gorgeous. I didn't get to see it in 3d, but that didn't really take away from the amazing visuals. Having read some reviews that compared it to "Avatar" I was expecting a more shallow movie that relied heavily on visuals, but it was kind of a mix of awesome effects and a heavy hitting story. I was especially touched by the relationship Pi develops with Richard Parker, I was rooting for them the whole time. The last 15 minutes or so of this movie knocked me on my ass, and it made me think of the entire movie in a completely different way. Very emotional and thought-provoking.

              All performances were outstanding, and I was surprised with how much depth the movie had. Loved it. I give it a 10/10 and it stands as my 3rd favorite movie nominated for the Best Picture award this year (after Django Unchained and Silver Lining's Playbook).

              Comment


              • #8
                Great movie! In my top 10 films of last year.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                  Here are some thoughts after a few days of thinking about it.

                  First of all, it was nothing like I had expected it to be. I was expecting a much more melodramatic survival movie. My girlfriend and myself were kind of confused on why he wasn't on a boat after 30 minutes of the movie. Not that we were bored, but it was definitely going in a direction we weren't expecting. Of course, everything from the beginning comes full circle and is used to reinforce the ideas about spiritualism that Ang Lee was getting across.

                  Another thing, this movie is drop dead gorgeous. I didn't get to see it in 3d, but that didn't really take away from the amazing visuals. Having read some reviews that compared it to "Avatar" I was expecting a more shallow movie that relied heavily on visuals, but it was kind of a mix of awesome effects and a heavy hitting story. I was especially touched by the relationship Pi develops with Richard Parker, I was rooting for them the whole time. The last 15 minutes or so of this movie knocked me on my ass, and it made me think of the entire movie in a completely different way. Very emotional and thought-provoking.

                  All performances were outstanding, and I was surprised with how much depth the movie had. Loved it. I give it a 10/10 and it stands as my 3rd favorite movie nominated for the Best Picture award this year (after Django Unchained and Silver Lining's Playbook).
                  Thank you for your thoughts.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Looks like a CGI filled shitfest.
                    "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain





                    "I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler


                    You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
                    Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
                    My little idiot..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by oxley View Post
                      Looks like a CGI filled shitfest.
                      If you don't like CGI just don't watch it.

                      And I know you hate CGI. But this is 2013. Time to adapt, my friend.

                      edit

                      Don't just focus on the visuals... this movie has a truly great story to tell. Life affirming.

                      2nd edit

                      I know you love Prometheus. Prometheus has far more CGI than this movie.
                      Last edited by The Revelator; 02-17-2013, 02:16 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                        If you don't like CGI just don't watch it.

                        And I know you hate CGI. But this is 2013. Time to adapt, my friend.

                        edit

                        Don't just focus on the visuals... this movie has a truly great story to tell. Life affirming.
                        It just looks like having CG though for the sake of having it. I mean, the tiger, 24/7. Reallllyyyyy needed?

                        I don't mind CG when done right (in moderation) but it even looks tacky. I mean, the whale scene, it just makes me go "Fuck that looks like ass". I've seen better CG than that, the Aliens in District 9 for example. I understand that was likely motion capture though. Where as this wasn't.

                        2nd edit

                        Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                        I know you love Prometheus. Prometheus has far more CGI than this movie.
                        I'm just going to pretend you didn't say that.

                        Scott also pushes to have whatever doesn't need to be CG, not CG. Much like Nolan. And again, the CG in Promethues is more 'subtle' and doesn't look 'synthetic' like everything I've seen from Pi. Apart from that huge ass Facehugger thing.
                        "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain





                        "I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler


                        You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
                        Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
                        My little idiot..

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by oxley View Post
                          It just looks like having CG though for the sake of having it. I mean, the tiger, 24/7. Reallllyyyyy needed?

                          I don't mind CG when done right (in moderation) but it even looks tacky. I mean, the whale scene, it just makes me go "Fuck that looks like ass". I've seen better CG than that, the Aliens in District 9 for example. I understand that was likely motion capture though. Where as this wasn't.

                          2nd edit



                          I'm just going to pretend you didn't say that.

                          Scott also pushes to have whatever doesn't need to be CG, not CG. Much like Nolan. And again, the CG in Promethues is more 'subtle' and doesn't look 'synthetic' like everything I've seen from Pi. Apart from that huge ass Facehugger thing.
                          The whale scene is like 60 seconds long, and seen on the big screen or even in HD it looks out-fucking-standing. Also plays a very cool part in the story. Don't judge it by the trailer, it is truly awe-inspiring to see. Especially in context of the story.

                          This movie doesn't have CGI for the sake of having it... its a larger than life story set on planet earth, not on LV-223. It is a "fantasy" movie, and yet is meant to be set in a tangible, real-life world. I don't want to say more, because I may spoil some of the twists in the story.

                          95% of the Tiger is not CGI, but some of the close-up shots are, but they are done exceedingly well. A major portion of the movie is Richard Parker (the tiger) and Pi having to cooperate in order to survive. I couldn't comprehend having a real person interacting with a live Bengal tiger in close proximity, so the use of CGI in certain parts is understanding. Also, the CGI is impressive and worthy of praise. None of it seems artificial.

                          For the record, I like Prometheus more than this movie. But Promtheus is a far more artificial film than this. Don't be so hasty, just check it out. It is truly fantastic.

                          edit

                          I was like you before seeing this... I was expecting a non-stop onslaught of CGI like in Avatar (liek I said just a few posts ago) but I was surprised with how real and believable the whole thing was. It is so much more than that.
                          Last edited by The Revelator; 02-17-2013, 02:35 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                            The whale scene is like 60 seconds long, and seen on the big screen or even in HD it looks out-fucking-standing. Also plays a very cool part in the story. Don't judge it by the trailer, it is truly awe-inspiring to see. Especially in context of the story.

                            This movie doesn't have CGI for the sake of having it... its a larger than life story set on planet earth, not on LV-223. It is a "fantasy" movie, and yet is meant to be set in a tangible, real-life world. I don't want to say more, because I may spoil some of the twists in the story.

                            95% of the Tiger is not CGI, but some of the close-up shots are, but they are done exceedingly well. A major portion of the movie is Richard Parker (the tiger) and Pi having to cooperate in order to survive. I couldn't comprehend having a real person interacting with a live Bengal tiger in close proximity, so the use of CGI in certain parts is understanding. Also, the CGI is impressive and worthy of praise. None of it seems artificial.

                            For the record, I like Prometheus more than this movie. But Promtheus is a far more artificial film than this. Don't be so hasty, just check it out. It is truly fantastic.
                            I'll likely see it, I'll just have to try and stay more focused on the story, rather then visuals. As CG visuals don't impress me all that much, or, at all really.

                            And I'm not the biggest fan of how the Ocean looks so visually it won't be as appealing, but I'd be lying if I said the story didn't have my interest.
                            "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain





                            "I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler


                            You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
                            Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
                            My little idiot..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by oxley View Post
                              I'll likely see it, I'll just have to try and stay more focused on the story, rather then visuals. As CG visuals don't impress me all that much, or, at all really.

                              And I'm not the biggest fan of how the Ocean looks so visually it won't be as appealing, but I'd be lying if I said the story didn't have my interest.
                              The story goes in places you probably aren't expecting it to go. By the end I was pretty shocked with how they chose to conclude the entire ordeal.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X