R.I.P. Ray Harryhausen (1920-2013)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Ray Harryhausen (1920-2013)

I just found out a little while ago that Ray Harryhausen has passed away today. I'm a fan of so many movies that he worked on and I always had a fondness for those stop-motion effects.

R.I.P.

The family of Ray Harryhausen has just announced that the visual effects and stop-motion legend passed away today. Here is the family's statement:

Raymond Frederick Harryhausen
    Born: Los Angeles 29th June 1920
    Died: London 7th May 2013.

The Harryhausen family regret to announce the death of Ray Harryhausen, Visual Effects pioneer and stop-motion model animator. He was a multi-award winner which includes a special Oscar and BAFTA. Ray’s influence on today’s film makers was enormous, with luminaries; Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, Peter Jackson, George Lucas, John Landis and the UK’s own Nick Park have cited Harryhausen as being the man whose work inspired their own creations.

Harryhausen’s fascination with animated models began when he first saw Willis O’Brien’s creations in KING KONG with his boyhood friend, the author Ray Bradbury in 1933, and he made his first foray into filmmaking in 1935 with home-movies that featured his youthful attempts at model animation. Over the period of the next 46 years, he made some of the genres best known movies – MIGHTY JOE YOUNG (1949), IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA (1955), 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH (1957), MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1961), ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. (1966), THER VALLEY OF GWANGI (1969), three films based on the adventures of SINBAD and CLASH OF THE TITANS (1981). He is perhaps best remembered for his extraordinary animation of seven skeletons in JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (1963) which took him three months to film.

Harryhausen’s genius was in being able to bring his models alive. Whether they were prehistoric dinosaurs or mythological creatures, in Ray’s hands they were no longer puppets but became instead characters in their own right, just as important as the actors they played against and in most cases even more so.

Today The Ray & Diana Harryhausen Foundation, a charitable Trust set up by Ray on the 10th April 1986, is devoted to the protection of Ray’s name and body of work as well as archiving, preserving and restoring Ray’s extensive Collection.
    Source: ComingSoon.Net

Super sad to hear this.

Rest in peace, Ray Harryhausen. Your work not only had a profound effect on me, but also to many artists I love. Your legacy is eternal.

Latest BSC: Slumber Party Massacre Review
    Latest BSA: The Mist (Stephen King) vs. The Mist (Frank Darabont) Part I & Part II
    Latest BSVlog: Storage 24 Review
    Latest FNFF: Maniac (2013) Review

Comment

Rest in Peace.

I'm a big fan of the original Clash of the Titans.
      54 Hookers and Counting....

Comment

Very sad. Huge influence on me, and I'm sure many others.

Comment

R.I.P.

That sucks, last I heard he was working on two sequels to the original King Kong.
          I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

Comment

Oh man... One of the best effects artists of all time. RIP

Comment

Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
              Rest in Peace.

I'm a big fan of the original Clash of the Titans.
              Same here. Rest in peace Ray....

Comment

R.I.P.

The man was a genius

[YOUTUBE]U9kmjW73-v4[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

RIP

At least he lived a long and successful life.

Comment

RIP.

Love his work in Clash of the Titans. Beats the hell out of many CGI creations.

Comment

A great contributor to the medium we all love so much.

RIP
                      "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
                      Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Very sad to hear, but happy he lived a long life and passed peacefully. His films were a big part of my childhood. Mr. Harryhausen, R.I.P and thank you.
                        "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
                        H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

the lineage of stop motion is no more. from o'brien to ray and that's it. a remarkable artist, a beautiful storyteller, a person responsible for much of what i love today. thank you for everything, ray. you will be missed.

If we suddenly fall should I scream out
                          Or keep very quiet and cling to my mouth as I’m crying
                          So frightened of dying
                          Relax, yes, I’m trying
                          But fear's got a hold on me

Comment

Originally posted by Rusted View Post
                            RIP.

Love his work in Clash of the Titans. Beats the hell out of many CGI creations.
                            FUCKING OATH!

R.I.P. Ray Harryhausen, another or the few film legends left leaves. Your work has inspired most of the film makers of today, and will continue to do so, your effects work is untouchable. You were an icon, idol, and hero to so many, many people. You will be missed. :'(
                            "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
                            Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
                            My little idiot..

Comment

Working...
                            X