Connect with us

Movies

“That Ship Has Sailed” – Sigourney Weaver Has Said Goodbye to Playing Ellen Ripley Again

Published

on

It’s now been 26 years since Sigourney Weaver last played the role of Ellen Ripley in Alien Resurrection (1997), which was of course the fourth time Weaver’s Ripley battled Xenomorphs up on the big screen. Legacy sequels are all the rage for popular franchises at the moment, but will we ever see Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley again? Don’t count on it, she says.

“There are all kinds of younger actors taking this kind of role. And there was an Alien [film] that I really wanted to do with Neill Blomkamp and we didn’t get to do that, but, you know, that ship has sailed,” Weaver tells Total Film this week.

The actress adds, “I’m very happy doing what I’m doing. I put in my time in space!

The Blomkamp project would’ve been a sequel to James Cameron’s Aliens that would’ve brought back Ellen Ripley. What we know of Blomkamp’s vision is that it would’ve seen Weaver return alongside Michael Biehn as Corporal Hicks, and various pieces of concept art have surfaced over the years to give us some idea of what Blomkamp had been planning. The plan was to retcon all the films in the franchise beyond Aliens, but of course 20th Century Fox ultimately decided to go forward with Ridley Scott‘s prequel Alien: Covenant instead.

The Blomkamp project is very much dead in the water at this point. The Alien franchise will instead return with an upcoming TV series as well as a new movie directed by Fede Alvarez.

For now, the last time Weaver reprised the role of Ellen Ripley was for a sketch on “Full Frontal With Samantha Bee” back in April 2019. You can check that out down below.

Writer in the horror community since 2008. Editor in Chief of Bloody Disgusting. Owns Eli Roth's prop corpse from Piranha 3D. Has four awesome cats. Still plays with toys.

Movies

‘Drop’ – Violett Beane Joins the Cast of Christopher Landon’s New Thriller

Published

on

Pictured: Violett Beane in 'Death and Other Details' (2024)

Christopher Landon (Happy Death Day, Freaky) is staying busy here in 2024, directing not only the werewolf movie Big Bad but also an upcoming thriller titled Drop.

The project for Blumhouse and Platinum Dunes is being described as a “fast-paced thriller,” and Deadline reports today that Violett Beane (Truth or Dare) has joined the cast.

Newcomer Jacob Robinson has also signed on to star in the mysterious thriller. Previously announced, Meghann Fahy (“White Lotus”) will be leading the cast.

Landon recently teased on Twitter, “This is my love letter to DePalma.”

Jillian Jacobs and Chris Roach wrote the script.

Michael Bay, Jason Blum, Brad Fuller and Cameron Fuller — “who brought the script in to Platinum Dunes” — are producing the upcoming Drop. Sam Lerner is an executive producer.

THR notes, “The film is a Platinum Dunes and Blumhouse production for Universal.”

Continue Reading