This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by caustic_coffee View Post
    Don't get me wrong, it was still a good movie, just not one of Kurosawa's best.
    Same here...it's still really good, and I rate it about 4/5, but it's one of his lesser samurai films as far as I'm concerned. I look at it fondly however as great practice for the masterpiece that is Ran

Comment

• Originally posted by superfry View Post
      Ninjas >>>>> Samurais

That is all.
      I don't get you mike your into the whole badass loner attitudes of django and the man with no name and yet you hate samurai flicks

Comment

• While we're talking about it, I have a quick question for those who've seen Kagemusha. Do you think they drugged the horses in the final climactic scene? If not, how do you think Kurosawa got the horses to behave in such an unnerving way (writhing and stumbling in pain)?
        Yeah, I believe Kurosawa did drug them.
        Fiber > monsters

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamui_X View Post
          Same here...it's still really good, and I rate it about 4/5, but it's one of his lesser samurai films as far as I'm concerned. I look at it fondly however as great practice for the masterpiece that is Ran
          Exactly. You know things are going well for you when one of your lesser films is still better than 95% of the shite out there. I still have more Kurosawa to get through, since I've only really chased down his samurai entries. Good times.

Originally posted by Rakugaki View Post
          Yeah, I believe Kurosawa did drug them.
          Whatever he did, he drew the perfect performance from them. For my money, the horses flopping around was far more convincing then the little soldiers pretending to walk around looking drunk (why would gunshots make them stagger around?). Not that their performance was bad, but the horses made that shot gold.

Comment

• Well, I finally got to see the female take on Zatoichi, aptly titled ICHI. And I have to say that it was pretty good. Gorgeous to look at, pretty well acted, especially from cult figure Riki Takeuchi, and the amazing Nakamura Shido, nicely done fight scenes. It's probably impossible to best Katsu, but Haruka does a pretty nice job, despite the unsually depressing nature of her character.
            All in all, a pretty solid reinventing.
            Fiber > monsters

Comment

• I think I've just found my favorite thread!

Anyone know where I can get a copy of KILL!

Comment

• You can order KILL! here:
                http://www.meijer.com/catalog/produc...LAID=317655742

There's a ton on eBay too:
                http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=kil...rion&_osacat=0

As far as samurai movies, Yojimbo and Sanjuro are my favorites.

Comment

• OK, so I'm familiar with the films of Kurosawa. This thread is a pretty good resource, and I have complete faith in those that contributed to it[kamui x, count dragula].

These are to be my next points of continuity:

Demon Spies

The Hanzo trilogy

Zatoichi films

Harakiri - I've owned this one for a while. It remains unopened : x

- will return with my awesome feedback.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rakugaki View Post
                    Well, I finally got to see the female take on Zatoichi, aptly titled ICHI. And I have to say that it was pretty good. Gorgeous to look at, pretty well acted, especially from cult figure Riki Takeuchi, and the amazing Nakamura Shido, nicely done fight scenes. It's probably impossible to best Katsu, but Haruka does a pretty nice job, despite the unsually depressing nature of her character.
                    All in all, a pretty solid reinventing.
                    I loved it and the depressing nature of her character.
                    Damn I've said some dumb things on this website

Comment

Working...
                    X