This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ_01976
    I already knew of those two, but those were made back in the golden age of film. They can't reproduce that these days.
    Aronofsky is an amazing director...he also isn't mainstream at all, thus is one of the few people that could probably make it work. It would sure work more for an american audience than an american SAMURAI film...

Comment

As the old saying goes: I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Zatoichi vs. Yojimbo

PLOT DESCRIPTION
        In Zatoichi vs. Yojimbo, one of many Japanese samurai films starring the blind swordsman Zatoichi (Shintaro Katsu), he has to battle Yojimbo (Toshiro Mifune), the title character from Akira Kurosawa's famous film. At the beginning of the film, Zatoichi is planning on retiring, yet his village is besieged by outlaws; eventually he fights, then befriends Yojimbo on his way to securing his village. The movie is a light-hearted parody of samurai films and a comic take on the genre, boasting a wonderfully funny performance from Mifune. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Movie Guide

Well I got the DVD of this a while back and while I was excited to see them together I was disapointed. I found it kinda boring. There was a sense of going through the motions on this one. Even with that vibe it wasn't a bad movie, just nothing to write home about.
        "I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other."

- Frankenstein's Monster.

Comment

hey Drags, what movie is your avatar from?

and two movies you should see are The Last Samurai..okay...that's a joke. and Crippled Masters, it's fucking hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by mardigian
            hey Drags, what movie is your avatar from?

and two movies you should see are The Last Samurai..okay...that's a joke. and Crippled Masters, it's fucking hilarious!
            Kurosawa's RAN.

That bitch had it coming big time.
            "I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other."

Comment

Originally posted by Severn
              Kurosawa's RAN.
              aka The Greatest Movie Ever

Comment

Originally posted by Severn View Post
                Kurosawa's RAN.

That bitch had it coming big time.
                thanks Severn. would that be a bitch to come by? or would I be able to rent/buy it from any local retailer?

Comment

Originally posted by mardigian View Post
                  thanks Severn. would that be a bitch to come by? or would I be able to rent/buy it from any local retailer?
                  You might be able to find it at Suncoast or a Barnes and Noble. If not you can order it from deepdiscountdvd.

Comment

Well I got the DVD of this a while back and while I was excited to see them together I was disapointed. I found it kinda boring. There was a sense of going through the motions on this one. Even with that vibe it wasn't a bad movie, just nothing to write home about.
                    Yeah, I own this aswell but have yet to watch it.. I'm about ten films off owning all 27, I hope to pick the rest up sometime soon in the near future.. Then I intend to watch them all one by one from 1 on up to 27.. woo.
                    Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

Originally posted by Count Dragula View Post
                      Yeah, I own this aswell but have yet to watch it.. I'm about ten films off owning all 27, I hope to pick the rest up sometime soon in the near future.. Then I intend to watch them all one by one from 1 on up to 27.. woo.
                      Well then my friend you are in for such a treat -that's a lot to watch! You going to pick up the TV series to (if it's out, which I'm not sure it is)?

I still haven't seen Zatoichi vs. The One Arm Swordsman. I've seen the OAS movies but not the crossover.

Comment

Well then my friend you are in for such a treat -that's a lot to watch! You going to pick up the TV series to (if it's out, which I'm not sure it is)?
                        Yeah, i'm definetly pumped.

I know tokyo shock is just about to release vol. 6.. which includes episodes 22-26. So yeah, still quite a few unreleased here in the states considering I believe there's something like 72 45 minutes episodes in the series.
                        Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

Has Anyone Seen This? Ansatsu (1964) (The Assassination)
                          Ansatsu is a fantastic movie. Highly recommended.

If you haven't seen it yet, Daimajin is worthwhile. While not quite jidaigeki, it's an amusing combination of kaiju madness and chanbara.

The Hissatsu series is one of my favorites, but I don't know how many of the series is available with subtitles. The series (especially the first) are all highly stylized with funky blaxploitation soundtracks and cheesy bloodspurting.

Fukusaku's array of samurai films are also worth a check. Shogun's Samurai, Legend of the Eight Samurai, Samurai Resurection.

Shadow Hunters I & II are also pretty good and highly entertaining.

For more legitimate films, then Ronin Gai, The Hidden Blade, Twilight Samurai, Taboo, Heaven and Earth, Ame Agaru are all excellent choices.
                          Fiber > monsters

Comment

Wahey I just recieved my Lone Wolf and Cub boxset

Never seen any of them before so this should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by depecheanix View Post
                              Wahey I just recieved my Lone Wolf and Cub boxset

Never seen any of them before so this should be good.

Cool, I hope you enjoy them!

Good stuff man. The comic is really good to!

Comment

Originally posted by Rakugaki View Post

If you haven't seen it yet, Daimajin is worthwhile. While not quite jidaigeki, it's an amusing combination of kaiju madness and chanbara.

The Hissatsu series is one of my favorites, but I don't know how many of the series is available with subtitles. The series (especially the first) are all highly stylized with funky blaxploitation soundtracks and cheesy bloodspurting.

Fukusaku's array of samurai films are also worth a check. Shogun's Samurai, Legend of the Eight Samurai, Samurai Resurection.

Shadow Hunters I & II are also pretty good and highly entertaining.

For more legitimate films, then Ronin Gai, The Hidden Blade, Twilight Samurai, Taboo, Heaven and Earth, Ame Agaru are all excellent choices.
                                Damn, quite a few of those i've actually never seen and a few i've never even heard of.. nice. I just picked up a couple decent Cheeba box sets though.. and can't wait to give Shogun's Samurai and Legend of the Eight Samurai a go. Been really wanting to check out the Shadow Hunter flicks... shit... now I want to even more. Bastard.

By the way, is this the Hissatsu you were reffering to?
                                Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

Working...
                                X