No announcement yet.

Pan's Labyrinth DVD, worth getting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIT:Some one told me I didn't put spoilers so yeah theres spoilers in this post

They put together the movie very well in terms of actors, effects, and makeup. Most of the time when I see movies now I can tell everything is digitaly done. Also They made the whole movie into a "Fairy tale" for adults. I'm thinking thats hard to do without making the movie crap. The movie was fullfilling at the end because the father dies and the other side wins the battle which i'm hoping most of the audience wanted, in a very classic way.
    I also liked at the end that she died for her brother and gave herself to be with her family. It was a very beautiful story that I wouldn't mind watching over and over again.

The only cons I had about it was that it was in subtitles. I only dislike subtitles because sometimes subtitles go way to fast to catch up with in movies and some times you have to pause the movie just to see what they said. But this movie was good in the sense that it swept you up in the story begging you to see what happens to ofelia .
    Last edited by Kioko; 05-18-2007, 10:49 AM.
    Brody Dalle
    sigpic

Comment

I'm with Goose... this is visually beutiful, but there's really not much going on in this film. The fantasy elements were too few and far between, and I really didn't give a crap about the historical elements.
      "Exterminate All Rational Thought"
      Visit movie cynics for the latest movie reviews and drinking games.
      http://www.moviecynics.com

Comment

Yeah I guess I could agree with you on not being enough fantasy in some parts but if there was to much it would have been like a little kids story with some blood and fighting mixed in.

What I dont understand is what you meant by you didn't give a crap about the historical elements?
        Brody Dalle
        sigpic

Comment

does it have an english audio option on it?I'm not one for sub titles...
          My DVD's
          { Platinum Trader +142}

Comment

Originally posted by Kioko View Post
            They put together the movie very well in terms of actors, effects, and makeup. Most of the time when I see movies now I can tell everything is digitaly done. Also They made the whole movie into a "Fairy tale" for adults. I'm thinking thats hard to do without making the movie crap. The movie was fullfilling at the end because the father dies and the other side wins the battle which i'm hoping most of the audience wanted, in a very classic way.
            I also liked at the end that she died for her brother and gave herself to be with her family. It was a very beautiful story that I wouldn't mind watching over and over again.

The only cons I had about it was that it was in subtitles. I only dislike subtitles because sometimes subtitles go way to fast to catch up with in movies and some times you have to pause the movie just to see what they said. But this movie was good in the sense that it swept you up in the story begging you to see what happens to ofelia .

obviously you've never heard of hiding or making it a point to let others know you're posting spoilers...
            My DVD's
            { Platinum Trader +142}

Comment

Originally posted by Criminal Damage View Post
              I'm with Goose... this is visually beutiful, but there's really not much going on in this film. The fantasy elements were too few and far between, and I really didn't give a crap about the historical elements.
              Well, if you go in with that attitude yeah, but if you watch it and relize it's a drama moreso then a fantasy movie it becomes much more powerful...I'm osrry you only say it for the fantasy, because the fantasy really doesn't work if you don't get swept up in the horrorific - real-life parts of the movie...
              Assassins"Official Facebook Page"

Check out my NEW official website HERE.

Comment

Yeah I guess I could agree with you on not being enough fantasy in some parts but if there was to much it would have been like a little kids story with some blood and fighting mixed in.

What I dont understand is what you meant by you didn't give a crap about the historical elements?
                Don't worry about what he said...I was 12 years old once too, and only watched movies for violance and gore...then I realized a good story trumps ANY gore or fantasy you can throw in. He went in hoping for Lord of the Rings but he got a much richer story, that he obviously didn't care for.

Comment

Originally posted by Kioko
                  No I really do agree there could have had more fantasy everything else was fine.
                  But I don't know why they compared it to lord or the rings anyway was nothing like it.
                  CUz, I was stating that he clearly went into it thinking it was all fantasy...as did several other people I know...they all walked out disappointed becuase it was 70% reality 30% fantasy and the fantasy part is what drew most people in...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeBonomo View Post
                    CUz, I was stating that he clearly went into it thinking it was all fantasy...as did several other people I know...they all walked out disappointed becuase it was 70% reality 30% fantasy and the fantasy part is what drew most people in...
                    I Gotcha all in all it was a great movie.

Qoute: does it have an english audio option on it?I'm not one for sub titles...
                    Answer to this is no, Not from what I could see.
                    Last edited by Kioko; 05-18-2007, 10:56 AM.
                    Brody Dalle
                    sigpic

Comment

I Gotcha all in all it was a great movie.

Qoute: does it have an english audio option on it?I'm not one for sub titles...
                      Answer to this is no, Not from what I could see.
                      There is none, and if there was it would ruin the movie...

Comment

There is none, and if there was it would ruin the movie...
                        you pretty much just said what I said :P
                        Brody Dalle
                        sigpic

Comment

you pretty much just said what I said :P
                          I like to hit the nail on the head to make sure people get it with stuff like this...

Comment

Ok I salute you
                            Brody Dalle
                            sigpic

Comment

Don't worry about what he said...I was 12 years old once too, and only watched movies for violance and gore...then I realized a good story trumps ANY gore or fantasy you can throw in. He went in hoping for Lord of the Rings but he got a much richer story, that he obviously didn't care for.
                              A good story has meaning and depth to it... of which there really wasn't in this film. I like how you infer that I'm twelve because I enjoyed the fantasy elements of the film more than the boring melodrama between the rebels and the Spanish army... it wasn't cliche at all.

By the way, why do you consider the story to be rich?
                              "Exterminate All Rational Thought"
                              Visit movie cynics for the latest movie reviews and drinking games.
                              http://www.moviecynics.com

Comment

yes! its fuck loads better than i presumed
                                93sigpic93/93

Comment

Working...
                                X