Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irreversible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I saw this film only because I'm a huge Monica Bellucci fan but to be honest,this film was more than hard.I don't like rape scenes that much and the rape scene was very cruel.It was also hard to understand this film,but my boyfriend helped me. LOL =P
    But I think the rape scene in the original I spit on your Grave was a way harder.

    Trinity The Underworld Queen

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Trinity View Post
      But I think the rape scene in the original I spit on your Grave was a way harder.
      I don't think so. It doesn't get much more brutal than in Irreversible - ever.
      "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
      Scott Vogel from Terror

      Comment


      • I love the way the story is told and that fire extinguisher bit is priceless!

        Comment


        • I saw this movie for the first time at the cinema and it was quite the experience. The credits rolling in reverse, that soundtrack with it's horns of doom blaring, the strobe flashing, it was all intense as hell. The gay club and rape scene was right there in your face and there was no escaping it. It was like being on some demented rollercoaster, yet as the film got to it's end, or really it's beginning I felt strangely uplifted yet sad that these people's lives were going to be completely destroyed. We, the audience knew it but they didn't. Just fucking tragic.

          I need to see this again.

          Comment


          • You are lucky to see it in the cinema the UK tends to be fuckin shit when it comes to showing subbed films on the big screen

            Comment


            • There was a huge outcry by church groups when it got released here so I was lucky to see it on the big screen. They were trying to have it banned.

              Comment


              • LOL I really do HATE bible thumping retards sticking there beak in where its not needed

                Comment


                • I first heard about Irreversible all those years ago when I was really getting into the new wave of extreme French horror. However, I was only about 15 at this time and when I was hearing about how disturbing Irreversible was with its intense 10 minute long rape scene, I decided that Iíd hang on a bit. I finally decided to buy it a few months ago and only watched it last night. I was beyond excited for Irreversible. All the rave reviews made it sound like something Iíd love and guess what. I did.

                  This isnít my first taste of Gaspar Noe as I have seen I Stand Alone, which I liked a great deal. The directing was incredibly stylish and the violence brutally shocking, however I felt like it lacked potential. I thought it couldíve been something really great if it had a stronger plot, as it was basically just a depraved butcher walking around and giving vile monologues on how much he hates life. I still liked it though, and I especially saw the potential in Gaspar Noe as a film maker. Itís Irreversible where Noe shines like a penny.

                  The film instantly grabbed me with its seriously unusual opening. The credits roll back up and sort of spin around to show the title card, ďIrreversibleĒ with some unsettling music playing in the background. The camera then spins in an incredibly disorientating manner to show a creepy shot of the butcher from I Stand Alone. The actorsí names then all flash up on the screen in a super stylish manner which utterly gripped me. Itís one of the best title sequences Iíve seen, but enough about titles. Thereís much more to Irreversible than that.

                  Irreversible begins in the depths of hell and ends in some sort of stroboscopic utopia. Itís a startling contrast and a brilliant one. The opening is incredibly intense as Marcus and Pierre enter a frightening gay club called, ďThe RectumĒ. Marcus is full of rage and we have no idea why. He marches through the club asking anyone and everyone where ďThe Tape WormĒ is. The directing here is nothing short of masterful. The camerawork is like Darren Aronofsky on acid and his very own slimming pills. Itís all done in one shot, making it incredibly intense as the camera hypnotically floats around in a chaotic and disorientating close-up. Not only that but thereís a startling siren soundtrack which only serves to heighten the intense atmosphere.

                  I was shocked to see that the much talked about fire extinguisher scene was in this early on. It very much feels like the climax of the film as itís full of such anger, rage and raw intensity. Itís easy to see why the extinguisher scene is so talked about as itís unflinchingly graphic and extraordinarily brutal, however to say itís gratuitous is ridiculous as it doesnít feel like glamorised movie violence at all. It feels frighteningly real and is extremely relevant to the filmís characters and themes.

                  Just like Christopher Nolanís masterpiece, Memento the film is told in reverse. At first I wasnít sure if it worked entirely as all the horror and the madness was placed near the beginning which means the film becomes more and more soft, however then I realised that it was the perfect way to tell the story. Not only does it show that violent actions cannot be reversed, but it also allows us to feel sympathy for the characters and forces us to place ourselves in their shoes as we play detective.

                  Each scene plays out largely in one take which adds to the filmís hyper-realistic atmosphere. The first half is concerned with Marcus finding the perpetrator so the directing is erratic which creates an atmosphere of chaos and rage, whereas the second half is concerned with showing the relationship between Marcus and Alex, so the directing is slower and more controlled. It showcases how much camerawork can contribute to a film.

                  Now, you canít talk about Irreversible without talking about the infamous rape scene which occurs half-way through the film and is the most important scene in the film. It feels far too real as the camera shakily follows Alex down the underground tunnel and encounters a deranged sadist who brutally rapes her. This scene feels all the more harrowing as up until now the camera has been insanely mobile and hypnotically dreamlike. Here Noe keeps the camera deathly still like Haneke, as weíre forced to endure Alexís ordeal. It almost feels like the audience is being raped too. Itís shocking and shockingly realistic. The only time the camera moves during the 10 minutes is when the stranger picks up Alexís head and slams it on the floor. The camera moves in order for the audience to witness this brutality in unflinching detail.

                  Some have called this scene gratuitous and even accused it of titillating the audience which I find ridiculous. Rape is something that happens all the time, yet most films are too scared to tackle it. Noe tackles the issue head on and shows us all what rape is really like. It isnít pretty and it isnít supposed to be either. Only a sadist would find the scene a turn on.

                  The rest of the film is mainly concerned with showing us the relationship between Alex and Marcus. Itís all the more tragic to watch as we know how the night is going to turn out, whilst the characters are utterly oblivious. The directing is still absolutely stunning. I loved the party sequence which follows Marcus, Alex and Pierre around all in one shot with deafening music. It feels like youíre actually there! Weíre also treated to some detailed conversations about sex on a subway and a heart-breaking romantic scene between Alex and Marcus. These scenes have a layered and tragic quality about them as we know exactly what is going to happen next.

                  The acting is extraordinary. Vincent Cassel is the best Iíve ever seen him be and the relationship between the characters is utterly believable. Although it does help that Vincent and Monica were actually in a relationship during the time of filming (I donít know if they still are). Monica is also sensational, especially during the gruelling rape scene where I couldíve almost cried out for her. The end scene is unlike anything Iíve ever seen and will stay with me for a long time.

                  Irreversible is a harrowing masterpiece. The scenes of violence and sexual violence are the most shocking Iíve ever seen. It isnít a gratuitous film; itís simply a film which wants to show you the dark side of life. Time destroys everything as we do not know what the future has in store for us. Itís a tragic and powerful piece of filmmaking with extraordinary directing and acting. Small-minded critics may mistake the film as a gratuitous piece of work, but it really isnít. Irreversible feels real and is an intense and powerful experience which Iíd recommend with caution.

                  10/10
                  ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"


                  Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

                  http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

                  Comment


                  • Great film, pretty harrowing experience to watch but would have loved to have seen it on the big screen.
                    "I'm gonna put something in you, make the devil feel surprised".-Mazzy Star

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by horrorking95 View Post
                      I first heard about Irreversible all those years ago when I was really getting into the new wave of extreme French horror. However, I was only about 15 at this time and when I was hearing about how disturbing Irreversible was with its intense 10 minute long rape scene, I decided that Iíd hang on a bit. I finally decided to buy it a few months ago and only watched it last night. I was beyond excited for Irreversible. All the rave reviews made it sound like something Iíd love and guess what. I did.

                      This isnít my first taste of Gaspar Noe as I have seen I Stand Alone, which I liked a great deal. The directing was incredibly stylish and the violence brutally shocking, however I felt like it lacked potential. I thought it couldíve been something really great if it had a stronger plot, as it was basically just a depraved butcher walking around and giving vile monologues on how much he hates life. I still liked it though, and I especially saw the potential in Gaspar Noe as a film maker. Itís Irreversible where Noe shines like a penny.

                      The film instantly grabbed me with its seriously unusual opening. The credits roll back up and sort of spin around to show the title card, ďIrreversibleĒ with some unsettling music playing in the background. The camera then spins in an incredibly disorientating manner to show a creepy shot of the butcher from I Stand Alone. The actorsí names then all flash up on the screen in a super stylish manner which utterly gripped me. Itís one of the best title sequences Iíve seen, but enough about titles. Thereís much more to Irreversible than that.

                      Irreversible begins in the depths of hell and ends in some sort of stroboscopic utopia. Itís a startling contrast and a brilliant one. The opening is incredibly intense as Marcus and Pierre enter a frightening gay club called, ďThe RectumĒ. Marcus is full of rage and we have no idea why. He marches through the club asking anyone and everyone where ďThe Tape WormĒ is. The directing here is nothing short of masterful. The camerawork is like Darren Aronofsky on acid and his very own slimming pills. Itís all done in one shot, making it incredibly intense as the camera hypnotically floats around in a chaotic and disorientating close-up. Not only that but thereís a startling siren soundtrack which only serves to heighten the intense atmosphere.

                      I was shocked to see that the much talked about fire extinguisher scene was in this early on. It very much feels like the climax of the film as itís full of such anger, rage and raw intensity. Itís easy to see why the extinguisher scene is so talked about as itís unflinchingly graphic and extraordinarily brutal, however to say itís gratuitous is ridiculous as it doesnít feel like glamorised movie violence at all. It feels frighteningly real and is extremely relevant to the filmís characters and themes.

                      Just like Christopher Nolanís masterpiece, Memento the film is told in reverse. At first I wasnít sure if it worked entirely as all the horror and the madness was placed near the beginning which means the film becomes more and more soft, however then I realised that it was the perfect way to tell the story. Not only does it show that violent actions cannot be reversed, but it also allows us to feel sympathy for the characters and forces us to place ourselves in their shoes as we play detective.

                      Each scene plays out largely in one take which adds to the filmís hyper-realistic atmosphere. The first half is concerned with Marcus finding the perpetrator so the directing is erratic which creates an atmosphere of chaos and rage, whereas the second half is concerned with showing the relationship between Marcus and Alex, so the directing is slower and more controlled. It showcases how much camerawork can contribute to a film.

                      Now, you canít talk about Irreversible without talking about the infamous rape scene which occurs half-way through the film and is the most important scene in the film. It feels far too real as the camera shakily follows Alex down the underground tunnel and encounters a deranged sadist who brutally rapes her. This scene feels all the more harrowing as up until now the camera has been insanely mobile and hypnotically dreamlike. Here Noe keeps the camera deathly still like Haneke, as weíre forced to endure Alexís ordeal. It almost feels like the audience is being raped too. Itís shocking and shockingly realistic. The only time the camera moves during the 10 minutes is when the stranger picks up Alexís head and slams it on the floor. The camera moves in order for the audience to witness this brutality in unflinching detail.

                      Some have called this scene gratuitous and even accused it of titillating the audience which I find ridiculous. Rape is something that happens all the time, yet most films are too scared to tackle it. Noe tackles the issue head on and shows us all what rape is really like. It isnít pretty and it isnít supposed to be either. Only a sadist would find the scene a turn on.

                      The rest of the film is mainly concerned with showing us the relationship between Alex and Marcus. Itís all the more tragic to watch as we know how the night is going to turn out, whilst the characters are utterly oblivious. The directing is still absolutely stunning. I loved the party sequence which follows Marcus, Alex and Pierre around all in one shot with deafening music. It feels like youíre actually there! Weíre also treated to some detailed conversations about sex on a subway and a heart-breaking romantic scene between Alex and Marcus. These scenes have a layered and tragic quality about them as we know exactly what is going to happen next.

                      The acting is extraordinary. Vincent Cassel is the best Iíve ever seen him be and the relationship between the characters is utterly believable. Although it does help that Vincent and Monica were actually in a relationship during the time of filming (I donít know if they still are). Monica is also sensational, especially during the gruelling rape scene where I couldíve almost cried out for her. The end scene is unlike anything Iíve ever seen and will stay with me for a long time.

                      Irreversible is a harrowing masterpiece. The scenes of violence and sexual violence are the most shocking Iíve ever seen. It isnít a gratuitous film; itís simply a film which wants to show you the dark side of life. Time destroys everything as we do not know what the future has in store for us. Itís a tragic and powerful piece of filmmaking with extraordinary directing and acting. Small-minded critics may mistake the film as a gratuitous piece of work, but it really isnít. Irreversible feels real and is an intense and powerful experience which Iíd recommend with caution.

                      10/10


                      Agree with everything said here. Well written.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Rusted View Post


                        Agree with everything said here. Well written.
                        Thank you!

                        Originally posted by Lasetta View Post
                        Great film, pretty harrowing experience to watch but would have loved to have seen it on the big screen.
                        This would've been breath-taking on the big screen. Especially with the hypnotic camera and insane strobe lighting!
                        ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"


                        Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

                        http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

                        Comment


                        • I ended up liking this movie quite a bit even though the last thirty or so minutes weren't completely interesting.

                          I loved the chaotic energy throughout the film and when it broke out into full on violence I wondered to myself "what the fuck am I watching right now"?

                          The infamous scene felt like it went on forever and a day, me and my dad watched it and felt so uncomfortable through most of it.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X