Irreversible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.esrever ni ti depyt tsuj i sleef tsop ym neve ,nmad:::

I agree that the film is more experimental than "gimmicky", the film isnt being marketed around its camera movements. The cinematography is masterful and it helps the director give the audience the same feeling that the characters experience; a series of unfortunate events spinning out of control. Every aspect of the movie was designed in perfect harmony. (not acknowledging the reveresed timeline) the characters are completely in control at the beginning with very precisely written lines of dialogue, to an eventual battery of their senses which results in their heavily repeated lines at the end (beginning). they go from intelligent conversation about sex to talking in circles -at- each other trying to find the Tapeworm.

Originally posted by Lavaboy
    What you saw as gimmicky I saw as being experimental.
    but its awesome because, the characters couldnt believe what happened at the end (of the story) just like viewers cant believe what happened at the end (of the movie).

presenting the movie in reverse, i thought, was completely unnecessary and not nearly as effective as "Memento". but the presentation was very effective and i found myself wondering if, even though i -heard- the dialogue in logical progression and i understood the logic, could the conversations have been discussed in reverse and still make sense?

Well, you did come off with an attitude in your original post. It didn't sound like a simple inquiry, but a blatant dismissal of people who found Irreversible disturbing. As if they were wimps for not being able to stomach something you could.
    Does everyone have to be Dr. Phil to interpret the meaning of a messege to know the intention of the post without feeling offended? Behold is just angry at his grandfather for raping him and stumbled upon black's right after watching the movie and revisiting the memories of getting pounded in the ass by wrinkled balls. If he doesnt have anything to contribute to the thread, his computer should meltdown on him and pin him to the ground so that after a few weeks of starvation, his stomach will eat itself.

back on topic though-

Someone mentioned that the extinguisher scene made them feel sick, and i think that that scene upstaged the entire movie. it made me feel somewhat like i did after reading "Guts". (good times) ....and i dont enjoy looking at pictures of death or watching "moment of death" videos, but i was really dissappointed that the movie wasnt filled with scenes like that. i honestly would have been sitting there completely in shock for at least a few hours after the movie was over. but, it moved on and compelled me to share the thoughts that i left above.

:::damn, even my post feels like i just typed it in reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by dub_fierce

Does everyone have to be Dr. Phil to interpret the meaning of a messege to know the intention of the post without feeling offended? Behold is just angry at his grandfather for raping him and stumbled upon black's right after watching the movie and revisiting the memories of getting pounded in the ass by wrinkled balls. If he doesnt have anything to contribute to the thread, his computer should meltdown on him and pin him to the ground so that after a few weeks of starvation, his stomach will eat itself.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! that's great....

Comment

Originally posted by Count Dragula

Best advice is I can give if you intend on sticking around is, grow a little thicker skin and not to take things to heart.
        lol, believe me you won't find anyone with thicker skin than me, i've been on message boards for 7+ years(fitness/bodybuilding), but i still find it rude that someone attacks you for NO reason at all, save for the fact that it makes them feel like an internet tough guy.....

Comment

Originally posted by blackdream71
          but i still find it rude that someone attacks you for NO reason at all, save for the fact that it makes them feel like an internet tough guy.....
          Nah, he had another reason. So did I - except I didn't 'attack' you.

Comment

Originally posted by dub_fierce
            presenting the movie in reverse, i thought, was completely unnecessary and not nearly as effective as "Memento".
            IMO though, Irreversible has a lot more substance to it though to warrant repeat viewings. As much as I thought Memento was amazing upon my first viewing, when watching it again a couple months later to show a friend, I was less than impressed. I compare it to The Sixth Sense...it's a one trick pony. Incredibly made, but loses a lot of its impact upon a second viewing. Although unlike Shyamalan, Nolan is a great filmmaker.

Comment

Originally posted by blackdream71
              hey you fuckin piece of trash why would you resort to name calling? that was totally uncalled for you fuckin norway faggot.
              I presented my opinion and gave my rating of the movie, this forum is for posting opinions, so go fuck your mom with your trash talking! How old are you 15?

BITCH!
              Hahaha, this post is hilarious. I laughed out loud. Substitute "Norwegian" in, instead of the poor grammar you used in using "Norway" and that would have topped it as one of the funniest posts I've read in a while.

Originally posted by Kamui_X
              IMO though, Irreversible has a lot more substance to it though to warrant repeat viewings. As much as I thought Memento was amazing upon my first viewing, when watching it again a couple months later to show a friend, I was less than impressed. I compare it to The Sixth Sense...it's a one trick pony. Incredibly made, but loses a lot of its impact upon a second viewing. Although unlike Shyamalan, Nolan is a great filmmaker.
              Meh, the more I think about Irreversible the more under whelming it seems. It's good, but not to the extent so many here give it credit for. I'm not sure I would consider either Nolan or Shyamalan great just yet, I'll need to see more. I was really down on Nolan actually, he hadn't made anything amazing, I was one of the few to go against the Memento bandwagon, it's decent, but forgettable and way too gimmicky. Insomnia is much of the same, under whelming, it's alright, but then he went and did Batman Begins so, being the huge fan that I am, I have to give him much respect for that. For bringing the character to the screen properly. That's his "great" film.

Shyamalan is quite a good filmmaker, if he just let others tinker with his screenplays he could make some great stuff. His great film was The Sixth Sense, which I like quite a bit, I don't find the twist in that film to be out of place or just tacked on. It elevates the film to another level effectively, and that's the difference. Too many people are just tacking on a shitty twist ending just to have a twist. His film is crafted much better than that. Unbreakable is close, I like that quite a bit too, but not great. Both filmmakers are good and I think we need more time to see their work unfold to judge whether one is "great" or not.
              Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

Who is in this film?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed
                  Who is in this film?
                  Monica Belucci, Vincent Cassel, and Albert Dupontel(sp).
                  I think this a great movie. Not one for multiple viewing, but sits proudly on my shelf with admiration. For me, one of the best films of the last 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by SirStoneyOfBow
                    Monica Belucci, Vincent Cassel, and Albert Dupontel(sp).
                    I think this a great movie. Not one for multiple viewing, but sits proudly on my shelf with admiration. For me, one of the best films of the last 5 years.
                    Amazing...I knew I should have bought this today. Fuck...
                    sigpic

Comment

Irreversible stuck with me for a long while after watching it. For the next few days, I cringed anytime I passed a man on the street and didn't want anyone to touch me. I couldn't stop replaying the rape scene over and over in my head, which I thought was MUCH harder to watch than the fire extinguisher scene (don't get me wrong, that was bloody-disgusting as well) - I guess because I'm a woman. I don't know - it was a very disturbing movie that I'll never watch again, but I'm glad I saw it. There aren't many things on film that can evoke the feelings that film made me feel.

Has anyone seen its predecessor, I Stand Alone? I haven't, but I've read that it's about that grizzly old guy from the beginning (also from High Tension). Any opinions?

Comment

havent heard of i stand alone, but i agree that rape scene was stuck in my head for awhile, very disturbing.... crazy stuff, its been awhile but i think i remeber after like a minute or 2 of that scene i fastforwarded the rest of it, it looked like it would never end.
                        Last edited by Scottyboy; 11-20-2005, 02:08 AM.
                        [XBOXLIVE]Survivor%20Type[/XBOXLIVE]

Comment

Fuck you both...Memento rox and if you two dippity dipshits don't see that then fuck you both...DERS!!!!!!!

I hate this place sometimes...

Comment

Originally posted by N2NOther
                            Fuck you both...Memento rox and if you two dippity dipshits don't see that then fuck you both...DERS!!!!!!!

I hate this place sometimes...

Are you talking to me?
                            Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nosferatuscreams

Are you talking to me?
                              I was mocking the nature of rebutal posts on here at times...

Comment

I just watched this movie and I really have nothing to add that hasn't already been said...but I'll say something anyways. This movie was a bit much for me. The rape scene was just too realistic...and it upset me even more knowing that people get off on that sort of thing. The movie played out much like a person's mind would. Great Film.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X