Michael (2011)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael (2011)

A drama focused on five months in the life of pedophile who keeps a 10-year-old boy locked in his basement.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1906426/

Review

http://www.screenfanatic.com/michael-film-review/

I'm a huge fan of shocking and disturbing films. The synopsis of the movie alone was enough to give me the creeps. 2009-2010 was IMO the greatest years in cinema history for brutal, violent and disturbing films, 2011 on the other hand has been a bit slow. Here is a quote from the review I post a link for, "This is a stunning debut from Schleinzer, a former long time casting director who has worked for directors he's clearly been influenced by such as Michael Haneke, Ulrich Seidl and Jessica Hausner.", this has me even more excited. Haneke is one of my favorite directors and Seidl's Hundstage is one of my favorite (disturbing) films. I can't wait to see this.

Don't think I'd like to see this.

Comment

Originally posted by rusted31 View Post
      Don't think I'd like to see this.

I don't blame you, this movie is all types of wrong. I hoping for a film that will disgust and shock me, I hope it haunts me for a few days after I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Visitor Q View Post

I don't blame you, this movie is all types of wrong. I hoping for a film that will disgust and shock me, I hope it haunts me for a few days after I see it.
        I fucking reckon

Why on earth would a film maker want to humanize a pedo ?

The synopsis says "He’s established clean living quarters for his prisoner with many of the comforts of home: toys, books, a television set and other amenities."

WTF. So that makes it OK ?!?

Comment

I fucking reckon

The synopsis says "Hes established clean living quarters for his prisoner with many of the comforts of home: toys, books, a television set and other amenities."

WTF. So that makes it OK ?!?
          No, it's not ok. He is just showing us that anyone could be a pedo. Just cause someone has clean living quarters or wearing a $5,000 suit doesn't mean it's safe to keep your kids with them.

Comment

I fucking reckon

I have no idea why.

Comment

Originally posted by sarsoor View Post
              No, it's not ok. He is just showing us that anyone could be a pedo. Just cause someone has clean living quarters or wearing a $5,000 suit doesn't mean it's safe to keep your kids with them.
              Of course it's not OK. Just the way it reads, makes it sounds like it is.

This film sounds vile.

Comment

This film sounds vile.
                Hell ya it does, I'm excited.

AICN says its " surprisingly humorous" so it might have a Happiness vibe to it. Either way this should be a Gut Punch of a film.

Comment

Hell ya it does, I'm excited. shock:

AICN says its " surprisingly humorous" so it might have a Happiness vibe to it. Either way this should be a Gut Punch of a film.
                  Yeah, I'm going to pass. This isn't subject matter to be made fun of.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to pass. This isn't subject matter to be made fun of.
                    Although I've been discussing these types of films for years now, I always feel like a weirdo saying I'm excited for this type of shit. I'm sure in a few minutes there will be someone who enters the thread and calls me sick and fucked in the head. Oh well, I'm used to it.

Comment

Although I've been discussing these types of films for years now, I always feel like a weirdo saying I'm excited for this type of shit. I'm sure in a few minutes there will be someone who enters the thread and calls me sick and fucked in the head. Oh well, I'm used to it.
                      You obviously like confronting cinema, which is fine.

I like full on movies as well but this kind of subject matter is a turn off for me.

Comment

Dude, you're fucked in the head!

I would probably watch it if given to me.

Is he going to lose both bones?

Comment

I'll probably watch it. The same way I watched The Woodsman and Dahmer. With hope that I might get some insight as to why some people choose to do these things. At least, that's why I think I watch it.
                          The gods of metal are not pleased. Expect to find Jack Black shitting in your shoes one random morning.

Comment

I finally had a chance to check this movie out today. It is your typical arthouse fair, slow and mundane, but very effective. The director (much like his peers, think Haneke) delivers a simple film with minimal dialogue. This "less is more" approach ends up being a very deep and repulsive look into the mind of a pedaphile. The movie never becomes exploitive, which in a way almost makes it more powerful (at one point I paused the film in disgust just to call my 10 year son and warn him about the dangers of strangers). The ending was a bit of a disappointment, but overall I enjoyed it. Michael got under my skin in a bad (but good) way and delivered just what I wanted from a film like this.

Comment

Working...
                            X