This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mardigian View Post
    there's the soapbar. those have a really unique and cool tone. I've wanted to get something with those in there for a while. I hear thier quite incredible for recording cleans. the PRS SE double cutaway with those in thier would probably be choice.

baritone eh? very nice. I could see why you would load 70s on there. I was buying new strings last weekend and I saw Zakk Wyldes GHS strings. I thought "oh cool!" then I saw his E was a fucking 70! I couldn't believe it! I use Ernie Ball skinny top/heavey bottom and the E on there is a 60 and I think that sounds heavy as fuck, like a bass string! are you still able to pull off wicked bends being a 70 AND a baritone? and how much did you pay for the Viper?

of course. anything guitar/bass/drum/trombone related.

sure, list whatever you've had, have now, want to get. it's all good. if you tell us what you've had, maybe someone thats looking to get something similar will be able to be directed toward the best product (IYO).

and is that a zero resistance trem on the ibanez? I've read those are fucking titanic. personally, I stopped buying anything with a floyd after I bought a Peavey Wolfgang copy. it's not that the trem was bad at all, but it's just a fucking hassle all around. I much prefer a string thru design. better sustain no hassle.
    I've actually had somebody on B-D (could be mistaken, but was it you?) tell me that the RG series got some fucked up version of the Floyd Rose on it. I did everything I could, but the trem was either sticking up in the air, or resting inside the body. I couldn't ever get it perfect, and I tried changing the spring position, taking one out, adding some... Nothing worked... It isn't like I am gonna be doing insane dive-bombs with a trem, so I'd just rather go with a guitar that is string thru as well. Right now I just play this $20 acoustic. It sounds alright, but is in need of new strings. But hey, I am the drummer. Here, I'll get a pic of our guitarists guitar... You're going to see some weird pattern here...

Yup, another Ibanez. It is actually a really nice guitar, and it looks sweet (minus all the cracks in it... It could be from the constant weather changes... I am not sure...) But all he had to play was a 15 watt Marshall... Which died... Because we tried playing it with drums; always trying to make it louder. So now we are on the hunt for a half stack in our price range. God , music is expensive.
    In a world of shit, we are the standard.

Comment

there's the soapbar. those have a really unique and cool tone. I've wanted to get something with those in there for a while. I hear thier quite incredible for recording cleans. the PRS SE double cutaway with those in thier would probably be choice.

baritone eh? very nice. I could see why you would load 70s on there. I was buying new strings last weekend and I saw Zakk Wyldes GHS strings. I thought "oh cool!" then I saw his E was a fucking 70! I couldn't believe it! I use Ernie Ball skinny top/heavey bottom and the E on there is a 60 and I think that sounds heavy as fuck, like a bass string! are you still able to pull off wicked bends being a 70 AND a baritone? and how much did you pay for the Viper?

of course. anything guitar/bass/drum/trombone related.

sure, list whatever you've had, have now, want to get. it's all good. if you tell us what you've had, maybe someone thats looking to get something similar will be able to be directed toward the best product (IYO).

and is that a zero resistance trem on the ibanez? I've read those are fucking titanic. personally, I stopped buying anything with a floyd after I bought a Peavey Wolfgang copy. it's not that the trem was bad at all, but it's just a fucking hassle all around. I much prefer a string thru design. better sustain no hassle.
      I used to own a Ibanez EDR-470EX, I love the sound of it and it was great to play, but that bastard floyd rose, when I want to play guitar I just wanna pick up and play, not spend ages fucking about with the bridge, thats why I sold it and went for a les paul style guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by IV_Tear116 View Post
        I've actually had somebody on B-D (could be mistaken, but was it you?) tell me that the RG series got some fucked up version of the Floyd Rose on it.
        yeah, it was probably me. I had an RG in the late 90's until maybe 2000ish. it was the second highest model they made at the time and the trem was still total junk.

that other Ibby guitar is nice. I played the cheapo 6 string version at GC one time and was pleasantly surprised. it does have decent components in it, like a mahogany body for one.

Originally posted by depecheanix View Post
        I used to own a Ibanez EDR-470EX, I love the sound of it and it was great to play, but that bastard floyd rose, when I want to play guitar I just wanna pick up and play, not spend ages fucking about with the bridge, thats why I sold it and went for a les paul style guitar.
        I guess Ibby trems are universally hated on here! lol.

yeah, your LTD LP is definetely a looker. thats the model with the 59/JB pups in it right?

Comment

How many of you people love the fella who invented finger tapping, pinch harmonics, and palm muting? Best things ever for guitar.

Comment

yeah, it was probably me. I had an RG in the late 90's until maybe 2000ish. it was the second highest model they made at the time and the trem was still total junk.

that other Ibby guitar is nice. I played the cheapo 6 string version at GC one time and was pleasantly surprised. it does have decent components in it, like a mahogany body for one.

I guess Ibby trems are universally hated on here! lol.

yeah, your LTD LP is definetely a looker. thats the model with the 59/JB pups in it right?
            Yeah that's the one, you can get it with active EMG's instead but I prefer Seymour Duncan's personally. It has Sperzel locking tuning pegs too, which are amazing. I've owned it for over a year and still love it as much as when I first got it, which is really saying something for me.

Comment

are the sperzels the way to go? I need some for the Iceman. the ibanez stock tuners blow.

and I prefer the Duncans as well. don't get me wrong, EMGs are badass but they're a little too one dimensional for me. I love to go heavy, but I don't want to pigeon hole my sound. thats why I want to install Duncan Pearly Gates on the Iceman. they still get a good growl, but have a touch of twang and produce some great cleans. plus I just want to do something different in my tone and direction.

anyone have any experience with the Peavey XXX head? I've been hearing a lot of great things about it. all tube, 120 watts. I've read that some people have ditched thier mesa rectos for this thing. which is crazy due to the Peavey being half the cost.

I think Peavey are really making a damn fine run in the amp race these days. giving more options for tube enthusiasts beyond the 5150. I've also heard the 6505+ and Satriani models can rip.

I'm contemplating going for the XXX over the dual recto. I just hate the white trash girly grille. but that can be taken off with a phillips screwdriver.

Comment

I'd definitely go sperzel if your looking to replce them, they keep your strings tight and in tune with basically no hassle. So it does the locking job of a floyd rose just without all the bullshit. There quite cheap as far as guitar gear goes too.

Sorry for the big picture here...

The round circle bits are for tightening and loosening the hold on the strings (Not loosening the strings as in tuning down), and thats about it, simple but work great.

Comment

Originally posted by depecheanix View Post
                  I'd definitely go sperzel if your looking to replce them, they keep your strings tight and in tune with basically no hassle. So it does the locking job of a floyd rose just without all the bullshit. There quite cheap as far as guitar gear goes too.

Sorry for the big picture here...

The round circle bits are for tightening and loosening the hold on the strings (Not loosening the strings as in tuning down), and thats about it, simple but work great.
                  I've always kinda been curious about the headstock on that... I mean, doesn't the E string snag on stuff and get pulled outta tune? Hell, after I'd seen the remake of The Haunting, where Catherine Zeta Jones gets the piano wire to the eye... I've been overly cautious...
                  In a world of shit, we are the standard.

Comment

how would it snag on stuff? personally, I try to NOT smash my headstock into shit while I'm playing guitar. nice wide open spaces to rock out to. that's why I rent an apartment with an extra bedroom. I keep my PC in here, and my guitar shit, thats it. plenty of room to have a couple guys rockin out.

Comment

qoute by mardigian

i paid $200 for the viper(lightly used)

i did hear the zakk's ghs pak came with a 70, but whats the next strings guage?

bends? i can bend an wobble the fuck outta these strings man!and pull off a few pick harmonics lol.

when i sound check my rig,every guitar player in the venue stops to look. without sounding cocky,this is the heaviest tone i have ever heard!!!! of course my ampeg vh140-c head,the 4x12 and the 2x15 have alot to do with that. when i chugg the "domination" riff its equal to a brontosaurus stampepe!lol. when we played with cephalic carnage,the guitarist zack kept asking what the fuck i was running thru. he was positive i had a huge rack system offstage doing all the work. sammy from goatwhore,acidbath,crowbar said "that is the sickest fucking tone i have ever heard without being muddy" (ala mortician). i would link you to my music but......this forum as too many critics who would pounce with rediculous comments without even being a fan of really heavy music.

so as far as a "metal rig" i will NEVER have to upgrade.
                      +113

Comment

$200 for a used bariton viper is a killer deal. no way I would have passed on that either!

I've heard a lot of good things on harmony central about the ampeg vh140 heads. some of the better SS heads on the market.

Comment

I guess I'll just post my equipment.

Guitar(s):
                          ESP EC-400 (Cherry)
                          ESP Viper 1000 (Black)
                          BC Rich Bronze Warlock (Red/First guitar owned)
                          BC Rich Platinum Warlock (Black) - I'm doing some work on this guitar, I'm changing the bridge and gonna give it two EMG-81 pickups (Duh!)

Amp(s):
                          Marshall MG100DFX

Pedal(s):
                          Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
                          Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

When it comes to playing shows I love to use both of my ESPs, I'm gonna use the Warlock as well when I'm finished upgrading it. I usually play with 10-11 guage strings down tuned to around B and A.

I'll have to invest into a cab and a head but the Marshall is fucking loud and will do for now.

Btw, the Boss NS-2 is an amazing pedal. If you use alot of gain and hate all of the fucking feedback and noises, get it. Sure it's 80 clams or so but it's well worth it.

Comment

I heard the Marshall MG's fucking blow. at least, that what I've read on ultimateguitar.com, guitargeeks and harmony central. not trying to knock your rig, of course!

I'm planning to get the boss noise suppressor as well as the compressor/sustainer. I've heard a lot of good, and they're both decently priced compared to the total crap and overpriced shit. boss are usually duarable and give you what you pay for.

Comment

I heard the Marshall MG's fucking blow. at least, that what I've read on ultimateguitar.com, guitargeeks and harmony central. not trying to knock your rig, of course!
                              Nah it's all good, personally the MG was a steal, I got it for only $250 and it's LOUD.

Comment

that wasn't a steal. they sell the entire half stack new for $600. so, $50 off the price of the head isn't too killer.

and a 30 watt tube amp gets loud. doesn't make a difference. tone, my man! that's what counts!

I'm coming off as a prick though. my bad. if you dig the sound you get out of it, keep on rockin it dude!

Comment

Working...
                                X