Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Records and Record Players

Couldn't find this topic here.

I recently came across a few of my old records in the basement, plus I just won a new one on Ebay. Unfortunately, I have no way to play them, as my old record player is shot to hell.

Can anyone recommend a player that they know/like? Brands? The ones I have been looking at are those 'nostalgic' players; they are designed like ones from the 50s/60s, yet include a radio and cd player. The reviews for these machines are spotty at best. The only thing I am really looking for is the turntable though. I'd like to keep costs low, and I don't have any speakers, so built-in speakers are pretty much my sole option at the moment. Any suggestions? Also, any advice on care and maintenance for the record player is appreciated.

While we are at it, discuss vinyl records in general. Anyone collect? What's your most prized LP? Anyone out there who thinks vinyl is the best way to listen to music? I can't say that I feel that way, but my vinyl knowledge is limited. I am going to start collecting again though.

Thanks for the help.

I would say that Numark makes some alright cheap belt-drive turntables or I know Urban Outfitters sells cheap ones as well. Two of my friends just picked up a Crosley one from Target and they say its pretty awesome. For $100 it's got:
    3-Speed Turntable (33/45/78 RPM) with CD Player, Turntable, AM/FM Radio
    Single-Disc Player
    Plays CDs, Cassettes
    2 Speakers , Speaker Type: Built-In
    Modes: Sleep Mode, Repeat Mode
    Features Front LED Display
    Inputs: 3.5mm Aux Input Jack
    Other Features: Built-In Speakers, Front-Loading CD, Side-Mounted Cassette Deck, Diamond Stylus Needle
    17.75" x 9.5" x 13.5 "
    Sounds like a good deal to me but I have yet to hear anything played off of one. Heres the link
    http://www.target.com/Crosley-Music-...crosley&page=1

Comment

I have a Craig turntable I picked up from work for $20. It's crappy, but it works. I collect vinyl, but probably only own around 75 records.

Comment

If you want to go even cheaper, JR.com has a Audio Technica AT-PL50 for $69.99. I bought one because you dont need a pre-amp, it will work with anything with an aux. jack. It's basic but I'm very happy with it. I've also found some higher end stuff on Ebay cheap because it needed a needle or belt. A great place for replament parts is www.vintage-electronics.net

Comment

I use to DJ a little and I still have my 2 Technics turntables, American Audio mixer, and loads of 45's, 78's and LP's. The turntables arent quite nostalgic but I have had them for 10 years or so and they are still in perfect condition...so for quality I would go with those.

Is he going to lose both bones?

Comment

I'm a fairly casual record buyer.....I basically only buy records that have some sort of rarity to them. I only own about 50 albums. I bought my record player from Goodwill as well as my speakers. the record player has been doing fine, but I've had to re-buy speakers on multiple occasions.

Comment

I own 101 records that was handed down to me from my pops and deceased uncle. I own a coppy of Abbey Road, eight Black Sabbath Albums, some Floyd, Two Lynyrd Skynyrd albums, a Clash 45 that has Should I Stay or Should I go on one side. Hell, I even have Foot Loose from Rod Stewert.

Comment

I used to collect records pretty religiously. Moreso contemporary stuff than classic rock and the like though. I had to sell most of it because I was broke and now rarely buy records for the same reason. I still see stuff I want all the time and it's hard not to give into temptation.

Recent Movies:
                Kick-Ass - 9/10
                The Human Centipede - 7/10
                Iron Man 2 - 5.5/10
                A Nightmare on Elm Street '84 - 8/10
                A Nightmare on Elm Street '10 - 3/10

Facebook
                last.fm

Comment

I have a pretty hefty record collection a couple hundred or so 45s and maybe 75 LPs. I wish I could help you out with a good recommendation but I too am on the search for a new one. My Longines Symphonette from the 50's fnally croaked on me.
                  Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today because you're all dead... and it's all my fault. Mom, Dad, you fed me, kept a roof over my head until I killed you.
                  [XBOXLIVE]Default88[/XBOXLIVE]

Comment

I have been meaning to start a record collection for a while now, I just don't want to become addicted. I love the vinyl sound, but I can't bring myself to re-buy the same music I have on my iPOD. It's the same reason why I sold all of my CD's. They just take up space, and with the iPOD, I don't need them.

I would have to buy a few choice records, after that it would be hard not to continue burning money. So I think I'll pass for my own good.

Comment

Nothing quite like vinyl. My parents have a large collection of records and, luckily, have pretty good taste in music so I grew up with vinyl. There's also a Half-Priced book-store that I used to go to that sold used vinyl (which actually used to be a screen name of mine). I bought a bunch of Frank Sinatra albums for about 25 cents each.
                      http://jabberwocky-jessica.tumblr.com
                      Currently Reading:
                      Cooking For Geeks by Jeff Potter

Recently Viewed or Read
                      Soul Pancake Rainn Wilson 7.5/10
                      Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy 6.5/10
                      The Walking Dead vol 13 by Robert Kirkman 8/10
                      Tapped 9/10

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it."
                      - Special Agent Dana Scully (X-Files)

Comment

Addicted to black gold !
                        But I don't have enough money to buy all the lps I want
                        Luckily , my father is addicted to vinyl , too . Together we have 200 lps .

I've got two Reloop RP - 1000 MK 2 Silver ( Technics rebuilds ) , a Dual record player and a battle mixer .

"Idiots in their own idiotic way have their own idiotic worries."

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I am looking to get my record player today. It's a cheaper one from Target. For now, I am only interested in pursuing it casually so it's all I need. If I get seriously into it, I may need an upgrade. Either way, I am excited to start spinning some records.

Comment

Personally, I'm addicted to vinyl! I collect mainly 60's and 70's Progressive/Classic Rock. There is nothing else that sounds like vinyl. Easily the best way to listen to music, especially if you got the huge sound-isolation headphones. I'm currently looking for a new, high-quality record player with a high-quality needle, and that plays at 78 RPM. I need to hear everything the vinyl has to offer! Only problem is looking for the right one. The record player I have now is a Technosonic player. It's good for now, but I know I can get a much better quality player.

Here's a list of all of my records:
                            http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/Drekavac/

Comment

Originally posted by Horraholics_Anonymous View Post
                              Personally, I'm addicted to vinyl! I collect mainly 60's and 70's Progressive/Classic Rock. There is nothing else that sounds like vinyl. Easily the best way to listen to music, especially if you got the huge sound-isolation headphones. I'm currently looking for a new, high-quality record player with a high-quality needle, and that plays at 78 RPM. I need to hear everything the vinyl has to offer! Only problem is looking for the right one. The record player I have now is a Technosonic player. It's good for now, but I know I can get a much better quality player.

Here's a list of all of my records:
                              http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/Drekavac/
                              Nice collection!

I just won a few on ebay. 3 Kansas albums: Monolith, Point of Know Return, and Leftoverture and 2 Boston albums: self-titled and Third Stage. I feel like the only appropriate thing to listen to on vinyl is old clssic rock.

Comment

Working...
                              X