Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dubstep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Remember when electronic artists were talented? If there is anyone making worthwhile dance music these days it's Kavinsky.
    [YOUTUBE]-5FKNViujeM[/YOUTUBE]

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by The Bear Jew View Post
      I think the negative shots at Skrillex are basically coming from two different avenues....

      #1: Success; His monstrous success and popularity has made Skrillex the poster boy for Dubstep ( a moniker he never asked for by the way)


      #2: Dubstep purists disliking "Brostep", the popular Americanized take on dubstep.

      Below is a further breakdown taken from the Wikipedia:

      In 2011, dubstep gained significant traction in the US market, by way of a post-dubstep style known as brostep, with the American producer Skrillex becoming something of a poster boy for the scene.

      In September 2011 a Spin Magazine EDM special referred to brostep as a "lurching and aggressive" variant of dubstep that has proven commercially successful in the United States.

      Unlike traditional dubstep production styles, which emphasise sub-bass content, brostep accentuates the middle register and features "robotic fluctuations and metal-esque aggression".

      According to Simon Reynolds, as dubstep gained larger audiences and moved from smaller club-based venues to larger outdoor events, sub-sonic content was gradually replaced by distorted bass riffs that function roughly in the same register as the electric guitar in heavy metal.

      The term brostep has been used by some as a pejorative descriptor for a style of popular Americanised dubstep. So called "dubstep purists" leveled criticism at brostep because of its preoccupation with "hard" and aggressive sounding timbres.

      U.S. and Canadian artists often drew inspiration from British brostep producers who tended to work less with sub-bass and more with mid-range sounds such as Caspa and Rusko, and Vex'd.

      Rusko himself claimed in an interview on BBC Radio 1Xtra that "brostep is sort of my fault, but now I've started to hate it in a way ... It's like someone screaming in your face ... you don't want that."

      According to a BBC review of his 2012 album Songs, the record was a muddled attempt by Rusko to realign his music with a "Jamaican inheritance" and distance it from the "belching, aggressive, resolutely macho" dubstep produced by his imitators.

      Commenting on the success of American producers such as Skrillex, Skream has stated: "I think it hurts a lot of people over here because it's a UK sound, but it's been someone with influences outside the original sound that has made it a lot bigger. The bad side of that is that a lot of people will just say 'dubstep equals Skrillex'. But in all honesty it genuinely doesn't bother me. I like the music he makes."
      I think the biggest reason people hate on him is because he has a face that makes one wanna punch babies.

      Comment


      • #48
        ^^ He certainly is one ugly cunt.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Rusted View Post
          Of course.

          Skrillex has his fans but it's just not for me.

          I like metal but I hate screaming metal. Dubstep, to me, is like screaming metal. It makes my ears bleed.
          Define screaming metal. Do you mean screechy metal like Cradle Of Filth? Yelling like Slipknot, or death growls like Opeth?

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by The Bear Jew View Post
            I think the negative shots at Skrillex are basically coming from two different avenues....
            #2: Dubstep purists disliking "Brostep", the popular Americanized take on dubstep.
            I guess I fall into that category, though I'm not a dubstep purist, and not european. I've tried to listen to Skrillex, numerous times man. My brain just doesn't process that shit as good sound. It's sloppy, it's random noises, little melody, and this guy used to be in an emo rock band... I don't even get where the fuck he came from all of a sudden.


            Originally posted by The Bear Jew View Post

            This song is amazing, listen and try to deny it!


            [YOUTUBE]5IQEKim9-jA[/YOUTUBE]
            Sorry man, but that song was horrible

            Originally posted by Hannibal Rex View Post
            EDM has a lot of different outlets and dubstep isn't an easy one to get into. Generally speaking, I think dubstep is kind of boring and predictable. As a metal fan, I can appreciate dubstep's aggressive approach, but it seems like there aren't many dubstep artists that actually try to take the main idea and go at it from a different angle. Dubstep in small doses is alright, but when every song has the exact same structure and sound, it gets old quickly.

            A few favorite electronic artists:

            Deadmau5
            Feed Me / Spor
            Wolfgang Gartner
            Knife Party
            Zomboy
            Michael Woods
            Tiesto
            But trance can be like this as well. I've had people hate on me listening to trance, because they claimed the basic beat structure of every song was the same.

            Originally posted by Shoggoth View Post
            Remember when electronic artists were talented? If there is anyone making worthwhile dance music these days it's Kavinsky.
            [YOUTUBE]-5FKNViujeM[/YOUTUBE]
            Kavinsky is cool, but he ain't the only one out there.

            Originally posted by Rusted View Post
            ^^ He certainly is one ugly cunt.

            Comment


            • #51
              Definitely not into Dubstep. Nothing against those who do, but I'm much more a rock and metal kind of guy. The closest thing to EDM I dig is Industrial.

              Latest BSC: Slumber Party Massacre Review
              Latest BSA: The Mist (Stephen King) vs. The Mist (Frank Darabont) Part I & Part II
              Latest BSVlog: Storage 24 Review
              Latest FNFF: Maniac (2013) Review

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by BeRightBack View Post
                But trance can be like this as well. I've had people hate on me listening to trance, because they claimed the basic beat structure of every song was the same.
                That's a good point, but for trance it's a little bit different because that sense of repetition is part of what drives the music. I don't think it would be called trance if it was too sporadic to have a hypnotic effect. Dubstep songs, on the other hand, may have varying beats but rely so heavily on the wobble-bass and/or bass drop that it no longer creates much of an impact. At least with trance you don't always know exactly what kind of tones and melodies you're going to hear.

                Comment


                • #53
                  I'm not a fan of the modern form of 'dub-step', and Skrillex has a lot to do with that... plus, the fact that almost anybody with a spare couple of 1000 in their bank account and a penchant for computer sampling can 'make music' nowadays. HOWEVER, love it or hate it, I do feel that dub-step 'artists' at least show some creativity and passion in their work, unlike the manufactured pop bullshit that monopolises the industry nowadays, of whom rarely even write their own lyrics, let alone write or create their own music.

                  As most of you know from the music drafts on here, I do like some of the sub-genres that fall in and around the dub arena. Being a fan of Industrial/Electro/EBM/Drum 'n' Bass etc. I listen to a lot of electronic music, and there is a lot of stuff out there (especially from independent, unknown and unsigned artists) that is worth checking out.

                  I would recommend anyone who is even slightly curious to check out some of the genre tags on last.fm - there is a goldmine of talent out there from loads of different electronic styles... although, I perfectly understand that electronic music in general isn't for everyone.

                  I'm no expert, but if anyone is after any recs, don't be afraid to ask.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Hannibal Rex View Post
                    That's a good point, but for trance it's a little bit different because that sense of repetition is part of what drives the music. I don't think it would be called trance if it was too sporadic to have a hypnotic effect. Dubstep songs, on the other hand, may have varying beats but rely so heavily on the wobble-bass and/or bass drop that it no longer creates much of an impact. At least with trance you don't always know exactly what kind of tones and melodies you're going to hear.
                    True.

                    I've been listening almost exclusively to dubstep blends lately, thanks to this thread Really gotten into Nero, and some other songs. I like that the bass is kinda more melodic.

                    [YOUTUBE]-cVbw8RZOfM[/YOUTUBE]

                    [YOUTUBE]lev4FN2vPGY[/YOUTUBE]

                    I really like Nero, and their awesome videos, check em out.

                    [YOUTUBE]sJVQJ4-n_cA[/YOUTUBE]

                    [YOUTUBE]YWK6dQOdri0[/YOUTUBE]

                    [YOUTUBE]1S35THmZD_E[/YOUTUBE]

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by BeRightBack View Post
                      True.

                      I've been listening almost exclusively to dubstep blends lately, thanks to this thread Really gotten into Nero, and some other songs. I like that the bass is kinda more melodic.
                      Nero's pretty good. I enjoy a lot of their remixes as well as other people's remixes of their songs.

                      Here are some songs I've been jamming to lately...

                      [YOUTUBE]NvvHWZvhkiQ[/YOUTUBE]

                      [YOUTUBE]N3qzkdlyFOs[/YOUTUBE]

                      [YOUTUBE]i73UaL5RS7Y[/YOUTUBE]

                      [YOUTUBE]MRNilfQ12oY[/YOUTUBE]

                      [YOUTUBE]ZdV8CumRB5c[/YOUTUBE]

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Frey View Post
                        Define screaming metal. Do you mean screechy metal like Cradle Of Filth? Yelling like Slipknot, or death growls like Opeth?
                        How do people have a hard time understanding what screamo is?

                        Shit like Parkway Drive, who need to die. And most of Slip Knots shit. Yes, I mean shit. I like a few of their songs where all that screamo crap isn't as prominent. Never heard of Opeth, and don't plan on knowing more.
                        A Maestro of Horror. A genre Master. And a legend of the Sliver Screen. Wes Craven 1939 ~ 2015

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by oxley View Post
                          How do people have a hard time understanding what screamo is?

                          Shit like Parkway Drive, who need to die. And most of Slip Knots shit. Yes, I mean shit. I like a few of their songs where all that screamo crap isn't as prominent. Never heard of Opeth, and don't plan on knowing more.
                          Opeth>Metallica

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Cebonation04 View Post
                            Opeth>Metallica































                            A Maestro of Horror. A genre Master. And a legend of the Sliver Screen. Wes Craven 1939 ~ 2015

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by oxley View Post
                              How do people have a hard time understanding what screamo is?
                              Apparently you do.

                              Growl/screaming does not equal screamo. Parkway Drive is not screamo. They're metalcore.

                              Originally posted by oxley View Post
                              Shit like Parkway Drive
                              Great band. Fantastic live performers too.

                              Watch this and tell me it isn't fucking awesome.

                              [YOUTUBE]ABbdH-LKH_s[/YOUTUBE]

                              Originally posted by Cebonation04 View Post
                              Opeth>Metallica
                              Yes.

                              [YOUTUBE]q0r11rbNydI[/YOUTUBE]

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by oxley View Post
                                How do people have a hard time understanding what screamo is?

                                Shit like Parkway Drive, who need to die. And most of Slip Knots shit. Yes, I mean shit. I like a few of their songs where all that screamo crap isn't as prominent. Never heard of Opeth, and don't plan on knowing more.

                                Sometimes, I am really ashamed of yourself.

                                Originally posted by black coffee View Post
                                Great band. Fantastic live performers too.
                                Killer band. And don't try to reason with an aussie backyard dog.
                                "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
                                Scott Vogel from Terror

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X