Nine Inch Nails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by depecheanix View Post
    I dig them a lot and actually like all of the albums for their own reasons. The Fragile is probably my favorite. Ghosts is really cool too.

The Fragile
    is far and away his best musical offering. I like Ghosts a lot too, makes for awesome background music whilst studying and such.

Originally posted by depecheanix View Post
    I feel like they've matured with every album, which I like a lot. I probably would've stopped listening to them if they were still churning out angsty bullshit. I can't stand bands that stick to the 'Grrr angry angry' mentality. Because eventually angst just becomes childish and forced. You can only listen to a spoiled rockstar whine and shout about bullshit for so long.
    This is exactly the reason I cannot understand the "everything since sucks" mentality. It's nice when a band or artist can expand upon what they have done and release new and different things that are still good. NiN has had its issues for me, however. (mailnly their latest, I'll get to that in a minute) With Teeth is an excellent album. Love is Not Enough, The Line Begins to Blur, Sunspots, Only, etc. are all amazing songs. I cannot for the life of me understand the hate for that record. Year Zero is a solid effort, but the second half becomes very repetitive. It was a cool concept for Trent, with all the hype, the ARG and whatnot, but it tanks after about track 7. The Beginning of the End, Survivalism, Capital G and Me, I'm Not (one of their best ever) are solid highlights, but in the second half of the album, you can actually hear time signatures and structures start to repeat. YZ would have been much better as a lengthy EP IMO.

The Slip, however, is shit. I'm a lifelong NiN fan, I've been listening to them since I was 13, and I've seen them live 9 or 10 times, but unlike many fans like me, I'm not blinded by my love for Trent. The Slip is the sorriest excuse for a musical release I have ever heard by a band I love. Anyone who does not realize it is just a pile of shit that did not make Ghosts or Year Zero is kidding themselves. I love the release style and the statement that it makes, but that record was worth as much as we paid for it, nothing.

Every album is great in its own way. PHM, Broken, TDS, TF, WT, YZ, Ghosts all are amazing, and none of them have any weakness that would prevent me from enjoying them. But as far as I am concerned, The Slip is an embarrassment.
    And you can call your gang, your posse and the rest of your crew.
    And while you're at it get them addicts and the indigent too.
    I plan to have a whole army by the time that I'm through
    to load their guns with songs they haven't sung

Comment

Love Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor is a genius. As others have said, I love all there albums for different reasons. Ruiner, what a song!!
      2014 Horror Draft:

Psycho (1960) - Alfred Hitchcock
      Bride of Frankenstein (1932) - James Whale
      I Saw the Devil (2010) - Kim Jee-woon
      Body Bags (1993) - John Carpenter
      Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) - Panos Cosmatos
      Halloween II (1981) - Rick Rosenthal
      Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - David Lynch
      The Descent (2005) - Neil Marshall
      Cemetary Man (1994) - Michele Soavi
      Cabin Fever (2002) - Eli Roth

Comment

Originally posted by ArchVile99 View Post
        [I] The Slip is an embarrassment.
        I don't mind The Slip. It should've been a 4 track EP though really. I like Discipline, Echoplex, Head Down and Lights In the Sky.

Comment

In my own opinion Trent Reznor is by far one of the most talented men in the music industry today. And Downward Spiral was probably my favorite album by NIN.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeon's even death may die."

Comment

Originally posted by SaraCakes View Post
            My favorite album is pretty hate machine...

I love trenty.
            Have you heard the version of Something I Can Never Have, which came out on the "Still" album? I really liked the original version, but I found the version on Still to be more powerful.
            "The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. And I have promises to keep. Miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me, Butterfly? Miles to go, before you sleep."

Comment

I've been listening to NIN for about three or four years now, and I've yet to find any band that even comes close to moving me the way NIN does. The Downward Spiral is hands down the best album I've ever heard (I look at Broken as being more of a compainion to DS even though it isn't). The Fragile ranks a close second. Although I'm not as crazy about the direction that Trent seems to be taking these days musically, it's still worlds past most everything else in the music world today. At least that's my opinion. I thought The Slip was a pretty good album, even though it sounded kind of rushed. Even Trent said that it was more of a sketch than a painting. Him giving it away was a cool move on his part. Ghosts is the only album by NIN that I honestly could take or leave. I love the idea of an instrumental NIN album, but the songs just sound kind of like Trent and Co. were just fucking around with their music stuff and decided to record the result. It just seems a little slapped together to me. I think Trent has mellowed out a lot in his older age, but he's still pumping out some awesome music. Year Zero (The ARG and the album) was fucking cool and worlds past the sea of other protest albums.

Um....I guess that's all I have to say about that.

http://www.abumpinthenight.blogspot.com

Comment

Something I appreciate about NIN's albums is that if you listen to them in order, the subtle changes from album to album make sense. Sure, The Fragile is vastly different from Broken. But after hearing The Downward Spiral, The Fragile makes perfect sense. It's a constant evolution that Trent Reznor has successfully pulled off for years and years. And to be honest, after hearing The Slip, I wouldn't be surprised if the next album sounded similar to Pretty Hate Machine.

Comment

I'd have to say The Downward Spiral, Broken & The Fragile are my favourite albums of theirs. More recently... I've been really digging the new sound of The Slip. Looks like they are heading more towards their hard rock/industrial sounds of the Broken era. Loving it!
                  Can't wait to see them again in Feb.

Comment

I love NIN. I'm pretty much gonna repeat other post here, but I too like all the albums individually. I like a band to alter and mature musically, and I hate it when people don't like it because a band's done something different. It was like when Green Day did Warning - it got slated because it had a more folky sound rather than the angry angsty punk. I get bored when a band's material sounds all the same. That's why I don't like Slipknot.

Oh, and I must mention that Trent Reznor is IMO one of the most shaggable men in music, save Brain Molko!
                    'Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity....and I'm not so sure about the universe.' Albert Einstein

Comment

That's funny, I'm seeing NIN live tonight. I can't fucking wait!
                      - Philosophizzle -

Comment

i totally agree,

Comment

Originally posted by Megan_Dopestar View Post
                          i totally agree,
                          With what?
                          Take your pants off

Comment

I think she's talking about the "shagging trent reznor" comment that seems to be evident on every single thread on the net concerning the man.

Comment

NIN tour, support from Jane's Addiction.
                              http://tour.nin.com/
                              Kicks off just up the way from me. Kinda interested in going.

Comment

I'm so bummed out they changed the dates and now their not coming to Ohio. oh well
                                Live your life, but hate everybody elses

Comment

Working...
                                X