The Mars Volta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack the Pin View Post
    Eh, When Igor Stravinsky's Le Sacre Du Printemps (Rites of Spring) was primiered over a century ago, the performers and musicians were booed out of countenance by a very hostile audience; so much so, in fact, that the performance was cut short. The piece was deemed terrible, interminable, noise by a knowledgable body of critics. Today, it's considered a classic piece of modernism.

Stravinsky knew what he was about even if the rest of the musical establishment had some catching up to do.

Who knows what the world will think of The Mars Volta ten or twenty years from now? For many, including the critic linked in the above post, the stuff is just noise with artsy pretensions. I don't happen to agree, but I know that similar things were said about the music of Revolver era Beatles as well as the work of Jimi Hendrix.

The fact that people can hate their music with such unrestrained vehemence (or snarky ham-headed imbecility in the case of our featured critic), shows me that The Mars Volta are doing something right.

Oh, and if you really think the Mars Volta is over amplified art twaddle, check out John Zorn's various involvements with Trevor Dunn, Mike Patton, and Joey Baron----Astronome, Moonchild, and Litanies of Helioglobus. Zorn won a genius award a few years back for his extensive work in compostition and performance in classical, rock, and jazz idioms. You will definitely hate it.
    Certainly perceptions of art change over time and yes, those who were once hated do go on to become legendary. Still, is it not a bit of a stretch to be comparing The Mars Volta to Stravinsky and The Beatles?

Of course all art is subjective and we could fight about this until we're blue in the face but that's pointless. And to the one who asked, I've heard all of their albums and I've actually seen them live 3 times.
    Check out my horror blog:

http://www.noroominhell.com

Comment

Originally posted by SaoCole View Post
      (such as "The Widow" in The Bedlam in Goliath).
      The Widow is on Frances the Mute

Comment

I saw Mars Volta when they were touring with System of a Down. Pretty awesome performance I must say. The guitarist was a beast and did a kickass job... they all did as a whole.

He said, "hit gold," not, "hit a septic line and get shit spewed in my face".

Comment

To make up for the other review that I cited, which was denoted as "ham handed", here's another highly credible and extremely well-written one from Pitchfork that touches on why I don't like them.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...nces-the-mute/

Comment

Pitchfork writes some of the dumbest reviews imaginable.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
              Pitchfork writes some of the dumbest reviews imaginable.
              I happen to agree, but in this case I find it to be spot on

Comment

Just getting into these guys and Omar's solo work and oh my fucking god. Consider my mind fucking blown. De-Loused was just amazing!

Comment

The Mars Volta is ok. Deloused is a great cd and Frances the mute is alright but I'd give my left nut to have these dudes just reform At The Drive-In. I'd be at their first show no matter where it was held.
                  sigpic
                  "The Next morning, while they were eating, Harold stood up and walked out of the hut. He climbed up on the roof and trotted back and forth, like a horse on its hind legs. All day and all night, he trotted like that. In the morning Harold climbed down and stood in a far corner of the pasture. The men had no idea what he would do next. They were afraid."

Comment

I had the opportunity to see Mars Volta Live when System of a Down came to town. Mars played second to the opening band which was crap and then System played. We all sang Happy Birthday for Serj. It was great.

I had never even heard of Mars Volta until a classmate from college told me about it. They were really good Live. I found out later my classmate was there at the concert also with his girlfriend watching from the second floor. I was in the pit. I thought I could hang on during System playing but I finally had to get over the guard rail and leave. I'm a slimjim, it was so damn hot and I was getting crushed lol

Anyway, Mars Rocks! I only have their Frances the Mute album. I really need to listen to their new stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
                      I only really like De-Loused in the Comatorium. Nothing on the other albums really catches me so I can take or leave 'em. It's pretty good music to listen to when you're partying with friends but I can't listen to the other stuff outside of that environment.

I should probably give the other albums another chance but at the moment, I don't really have any desire.

Erik Tarka is my favorite song.
                      Eriatarka.

Originally posted by mmhersh View Post
                      Hate them and their arrogant quasi-art. Go ahead, take your shots.
                      Ignorance is bliss.

These guys are my favorite working band, the sounds they create are some of the best I've ever heard, pure musical bliss.

I have had the privilege of seeing them 3 times live, all very great shows.

Comment

Originally posted by FukO View Post
                        I really need to listen to their new stuff.
                        Before you listen to the new stuff, do yourself a favor and check out De-Loused In the Comatorium.

Comment

Originally posted by black coffee View Post
                          Before you listen to the new stuff, do yourself a favor and check out De-Loused In the Comatorium.
                          I agree. Also check out their "At The Drive-In" music too.

I'm really into Octahedron these days, it's pretty much all I listen to on the bus to and from work.

Comment

I remember when I first heard them I was 14 and "The Widow" was on the radio and I saw the video and it blew my mind.

I ended up downloading it and my mom heard it and asked who that girl was singing and I laughed and told her then she started listening to them.

I was able to buy Frances The Mute for 5 bucks at Walmart which I consider a steal for a life changing album.

Comment

Originally posted by black coffee View Post
                              I've actually listened to two songs from that album, Inertiatic Esp and Televators, and they were really good. I just haven't listened to the rest of it lol

Comment

I love the new album. I've listened to it about 4 times now and it just gets better.

Completely different from everything else they've done.

The vocals are not high pitched anymore, the guitar is not so sporadic and overall there are a lot more electronic/ambient influences.

Some might think this is a bad thing when talking about The Mars Volta, but it's a nice change of pace.

This band can do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X