The Mars Volta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mars Volta

I've searched for an already existing thread, but could only find threads for seperate albums...so here it is *cough* shameless BD Music Draft self-promotion *cough*;

The MARS VOLTA appreciation thread.

I love these guys and none of their albums have let me down yet. They're a band who always manages to push the envelope and each album they put out sounds fresh and original.

I'm seeing them live for the first time this summer. Really stoked about that.

Other news, they have a new album out June 23st called "Octahedron" and here's the first single "Cotopaxi" http://rapidshare.com/files/23178753..._-2009-DV8.rar

So yeah, discuss the band, favorite albums, live experiences, etc.
    Last edited by black coffee; 03-19-2012, 09:50 AM.

I only really like De-Loused in the Comatorium. Nothing on the other albums really catches me so I can take or leave 'em. It's pretty good music to listen to when you're partying with friends but I can't listen to the other stuff outside of that environment.

I should probably give the other albums another chance but at the moment, I don't really have any desire.

Erik Tarka is my favorite song.
    sigpic

Comment

Definitely give their newest album, The Bedlam In Goliath, a try. It's my favorite album from them. Mindblowing from start to finish.

Comment

my favorite album is Frances the Mute... than again it was my first Mars Volta album

Bedlam is fantastic as is De-Loused

Comment

Great band who have zero interest in being popular. De-loused was the best album that King Crimson didn't record, and from there it's just been a steady movement toward some extremely abstract musicall ideal. They're a real challange, but well worth the listen because the music is always fresh and breathtaking even under repeat listenings.

Omar's second solo foray for '09 is out, and rumors have it that the MV are releasing a mostly acoustic record in June.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Pin View Post
            They're a real challange,
            exactly... that's why i love prog rock so much

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Pin View Post
              De-loused was the best album that King Crimson didn't record,
              Haha, well said

Comment

Hate them and their arrogant quasi-art. Go ahead, take your shots.
                Check out my horror blog:

http://www.noroominhell.com

Comment

Their material is really hit or miss for me. As sad as it sounds, I enjoy their more conventional stuff (such as "The Widow" in The Bedlam in Goliath).
                  Cat in the Brain: ***
                  Jack Brooks Monster Slayer: ***
                  Into the Wild: ****
                  Observe and Report: **
                  Vampyr (1931): ****

Comment

Originally posted by mmhersh View Post
                    Hate them and their arrogant quasi-art. Go ahead, take your shots.
                    Arrogant? Quasi-art?

Come on. That's just dumb. They're are some of the best musicians working today. Have you even listened to their albums?

Comment

Actually listening to Bedlam in Goliath right now.
                      It's good stuff.

I just heard 2 songs off their new release. Can't wait for the entire album to leak.

Comment

I think De-Loused is by far their best effort and one of my all-time favourite albums from beginning to end. I can throw it on anytime and never tire of it. The same can't be said for the rest. Parts of Frances and Bedlam are brilliant, but they've become underwhelming with time. I still haven't really given Amputechture a shot.

I've seen 'em live before, but regret not seein' 'em on the Bedlam tour with that insane new drummer they've got.

Solid pick in the draft, though. +1.5 from this guy.
                        LETTERBOX'D - DVD/BLU

Comment

Originally posted by mR_BuNgLe View Post
                          I think De-Loused is by far their best effort and one of my all-time favourite albums from beginning to end.
                          Totally agree with you, these guys had a great musicians in the band
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by black coffee View Post
                            Arrogant? Quasi-art?

Come on. That's just dumb. They're are some of the best musicians working today. Have you even listened to their albums?
                            This pretty accurately sums up how I feel about The Mars Volta, only far more eloquently than I could have written it.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/your...mputecture.php
                            Check out my horror blog:

http://www.noroominhell.com

Comment

Eh, When Igor Stravinsky's Le Sacre Du Printemps (Rites of Spring) was primiered over a century ago, the performers and musicians were booed out of countenance by a very hostile audience; so much so, in fact, that the performance was cut short. The piece was deemed terrible, interminable, noise by a knowledgable body of critics. Today, it's considered a classic piece of modernism.

Stravinsky knew what he was about even if the rest of the musical establishment had some catching up to do.

Who knows what the world will think of The Mars Volta ten or twenty years from now? For many, including the critic linked in the above post, the stuff is just noise with artsy pretensions. I don't happen to agree, but I know that similar things were said about the music of Revolver era Beatles as well as the work of Jimi Hendrix.

The fact that people can hate their music with such unrestrained vehemence (or snarky ham-headed imbecility in the case of our featured critic), shows me that The Mars Volta are doing something right.

Oh, and if you really think the Mars Volta is over amplified art twaddle, check out John Zorn's various involvements with Trevor Dunn, Mike Patton, and Joey Baron----Astronome, Moonchild, and Litanies of Helioglobus. Zorn won a genius award a few years back for his extensive work in compostition and performance in classical, rock, and jazz idioms. You will definitely hate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X