Connect with us

Movies

Vice Press Partners with Drew Struzan for ‘The Thing’ 40th Anniversary Screen Print!

Published

on

Horror movie posters don’t get much more iconic than Drew Struzan‘s artwork for The Thing, an evocative piece of art depicting a mysterious man with a blinding light bursting out of his face. Struzan’s art captured the “ultimate in alien terror” tagline for the film, as well as the cold, wintry setting that trapped John Carpenter’s characters in a battle with that alien terror.

In celebration of 40 years of Carpenter’s The Thing, Vice Press has announced today that they’ve partnered with Struzan to release an officially licensed screen print of the original art!

Vice Press explains, “When we produced the lenticular versions of Drew’s The Thing last year, we had a huge outcry of people who wanted the poster available as a screen print. Given that this year is the 40th anniversary, we felt what better time than now to oblige! With that, we have worked with Drew Struzan and his team, Sep Lab and End Hymns, under licence from Universal Studios, to produce an official 24×36 screen printed version of this amazing poster.”

Speaking in an interview back in 2012, Struzan recounted the poster art’s creation, “It was a very odd experience. I got an immediate concept, which is not unusual for me; I usually have something roving around in my mind. I dressed up in a winter snow outfit and my wife took a Polaroid of me. This was 30 years ago, back in the stone age when the only way to communicating a hundred miles away was the telephone or the fax machine. So I did the drawing and I faxed it back to the studio and they said, “Fine. We need it by tomorrow morning.” I went to work. We stopped for a moment and I took some more photos with my wife, this time with a 35mm camera. She developed the film for me and I just started drawing, then painting through the rest of the day, then painting through the rest of the night. At 9 am a guy shows up at my doorstep and says, “Is the painting ready?” I had about an hour to go, so I finished painting it and he took it away. Since then it’s done more traveling than I have. [Laughs] It’s been around the world many, many times.”

The Thing by Drew Struzan will be available exclusively from Vice Press and comes in two versions, a timed, 24×36 movie poster edition, alongside a limited edition 24×36 inch foil variant art print. Each print will be available from 6pm BST on Tuesday the 21st of June. The timed edition will be available until 6pm on Tuesday the 28th of June.

[Related] NECA Turns Poster for Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’ into 40th Anniversary Action Figure!

Writer in the horror community since 2008. Editor in Chief of Bloody Disgusting. Owns Eli Roth's prop corpse from Piranha 3D. Has four awesome cats. Still plays with toys.

Movies

Matilda Firth Joins the Cast of Director Leigh Whannell’s ‘Wolf Man’ Movie

Published

on

Pictured: Matilda Firth in 'Christmas Carole'

Filming is underway on The Invisible Man director Leigh Whannell’s Wolf Man for Universal and Blumhouse, which will be howling its way into theaters on January 17, 2025.

Deadline reports that Matilda Firth (Disenchanted) is the latest actor to sign on, joining Christopher Abbott (Poor Things),  Julia Garner (The Royal Hotel), and Sam Jaeger.

The project will mark Whannell’s second monster movie and fourth directing collaboration with Blumhouse Productions (The Invisible Man, Upgrade, Insidious: Chapter 3).

Wolf Man stars Christopher Abbott as a man whose family is being terrorized by a lethal predator.

Writers include Whannell & Corbett Tuck as well as Lauren Schuker Blum & Rebecca Angelo.

Jason Blum is producing the film. Ryan Gosling, Ken Kao, Bea Sequeira, Mel Turner and Whannell are executive producers. Wolf Man is a Blumhouse and Motel Movies production.

In the wake of the failed Dark Universe, Leigh Whannell’s The Invisible Man has been the only real success story for the Universal Monsters brand, which has been struggling with recent box office flops including the comedic Renfield and period horror movie The Last Voyage of the Demeter. Giving him the keys to the castle once more seems like a wise idea, to say the least.

Wolf Man 2024

Continue Reading