No announcement yet.

Official WWE/Wrestling Thread V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a half-decent schedule? Randomly showing up to beat the dogshit out of people more often in impromptu brawls? RAW does mostly non-title matches if the champ does wrestle a singles match and on the rare occasion the title is defended shit usually ends in a indecisive schmozz.

I'd rather Lesnar show up and continue murdering people in these impromptu brawls than be shoehorned into six-man tags. But then again RAW's only really on in the background for me and it's been that way for the longest time. But to reiterate no, Lesnar doesn't have to ever wrestle on RAW for me to be invested. Him strolling in and beating the shit out of whoever he feels like has worked fine since his return.

As far as Bryan goes, I still say there's fair circumstantial evidence they were at the very least hedging their bets on grandfathering Bryan into the WM Main Event in case audiences shit on Batista. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been smart enough to have him not even be a participant in the Royal Rumble.....which would've just made him look a whiny bitch and/or choker had he been involved and gotten screwed somehow. I know Bryan got screwed at the following month's Elimination Chamber but by then they already knew what they were going to do for WM.

Believe me, I've loathed Triple H longer than anybody but the way everything culminated at WM for Bryan really worked out for the best and that means all the shit sandwiches he had to eat along the way genuinely enhanced the moment.

As for carrying the company, who really has carried the company recently? I'd argue the brand itself is what's been kept strong with the modern cookie cutter Hogan-esque superhero in Cena being on top (even when he doesn't actually have the belt) much longer at this point than Hogan, Austin or Rock ever were. And nobody likes that motherfucker. I mean when they can recycle a guy like Orton into the Champion role for the duration of the Road To WrestleMania......an asshole whose bubble burst sometime in '09 after Triple H grudgefucked him to death at WM XXV.....well, you know they'll throw the title back onto anybody for as long as they want to.

Also I see the freshly departed Punk as being even more of a niche performer as top dog than Bryan even though I agree the story was all about him completing his quest. While the WWE never maximized Punk's push at any point since Summer of Punk there simply isn't infinite appeal to an average-sized guy who looks like a homeless circus geek beating everybody constantly. That shit would get stale fast. There is limited appeal with Punk to an obnoxious but very vocal subset of idiots.

The current WWE really isn't set up for one particular guy to carry the company. I like a guy like Reigns but you're gonna run into the same problems keeping his character interesting you did with a Goldberg if you make him look too mortal with title reigns that end prematurely.
    Last edited by RayPuresoul; 07-20-2014, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• Now as far as Ambrose goes, I think it will be quite a while before he gets anywhere near the top prize. I think he's a victim of how great his own character is; a crazy motherfucker who doggedly picks fights with his rivals at every turn isn't going to be seen as a guy who needs a belt to maintain traction. Also, I can't see management seeing the big dollar signs with him just yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayPuresoul View Post
        As far as Bryan goes, I still say there's fair circumstantial evidence they were at the very least hedging their bets on grandfathering Bryan into the WM Main Event in case audiences shit on Batista. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been smart enough to have him not even be a participant in the Royal Rumble.....which would've just made him look a whiny bitch and/or choker had he been involved and gotten screwed somehow. I know Bryan got screwed at the following month's Elimination Chamber but by then they already knew what they were going to do for WM.
        Nah, there is no evidence. The only evidence there is, points to them not thinking too highly of Daniel Bryan at the time. They never imagined the fans shitting on Batista like they did. You don't go out of your way and throw a bunch of money at a guy like that if you aren't too sure about him. Batista was supposed to be the huge star that was going to create a lot of buzz for WM. WWE just didn't get the memo that very few gave a shit about Batista, even back in his heyday. They certainly didn't predict just how pissed the fans would be when he won the RR. It was just a case of the WWE thinking they knew what was best, and for once it blew up in their faces so hard that they had to change direction.

Then you have the whole CM Punk situation, which opened the door for Bryan. It was CM Punk who was supposed to be feuding with HHH, not Bryan. All the stars alligned, and the fans got what they wanted, but I do not believe for a second that the WWE had it planned all along. Batista flopping and the Royal Rumble debacle, combined with CM Punk leaving, is why the WWE was forced into putting Bryan in the spotlight.

Believe me, I've loathed Triple H longer than anybody but the way everything culminated at WM for Bryan really worked out for the best and that means all the shit sandwiches he had to eat along the way genuinely enhanced the moment.
        Oh' yeah, it all worked out. I just think it was a happy accident.

As for carrying the company, who really has carried the company recently?
        Seriously? I don't like the guy either, but Cena has clearly been that guy for quite some time now. So yeah, the answer is John Cena.

I'd argue the brand itself is what's been kept strong with the modern cookie cutter Hogan-esque superhero in Cena being on top (even when he doesn't actually have the belt) much longer at this point than Hogan, Austin or Rock ever were. And nobody likes that motherfucker.
        Cena is on top because he generates the most money for the company by far. Plenty of folks love the guy, they're just not in our age demo. The guy is a bonafied mega star, and practically a household name. They aren't continuously keeping him on top, just for shits and giggles.

I remember a six man tag match not too long ago, and Ambrose and Wyatt were actually tearing it up in the ring. Two guys that the hardcore fans love in the ring giving it their all. What are the fans doing while this is going on? Chanting "Let's Go Cena!/Cena Sucks!", and he's not even in the fucking ring. Love him, or love to hate him, he's still the main focus for the majority of fans and that's all the WWE cares about.

Also I see the freshly departed Punk as being even more of a niche performer as top dog than Bryan even though I agree the story was all about him completing his quest. While the WWE never maximized Punk's push at any point since Summer of Punk there simply isn't infinite appeal to an average-sized guy who looks like a homeless circus geek beating everybody constantly. That shit would get stale fast. There is limited appeal with Punk to an obnoxious but very vocal subset of idiots.
        Nah, Punk was better than Bryan at the top. They at least had somewhat of an idea on what to do with Punk, because he was a well rounded star. He can talk, wrestle, and play a heel or face at the drop of a hat. Bryan on the other hand is a great wrestler with a really popular catchphrase, and that's about it. He's not nearly as durable as Punk. Also I don't know how you can rag on Punk's appearance not having mass appeal, but don't point out that other guy in this equation looks like a garden gnome.

So, did anyone watch Battleground? Any good?

EDIT- NM, I just read the results. Yuck. Seriously. Cena won of course. All the Wyatts lost. The Miz is the new IC champ, further proving that that title means jack and shit. Ambrose forfeited? Huh? Rusev won via countout. Jesus. Maybe the actual matches were alright, but those results read like one of the worst PPVs in quite a while.
        Last edited by Heretic; 07-21-2014, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heretic View Post
          They never imagined the fans shitting on Batista like they did.

Then you have the whole CM Punk situation, which opened the door for Bryan. It was CM Punk who was supposed to be feuding with HHH, not Bryan. All the stars alligned, and the fans got what they wanted, but I do not believe for a second that the WWE had it planned all along. Batista flopping and the Royal Rumble debacle, combined with CM Punk leaving, is why the WWE was forced into putting Bryan in the spotlight.

Nah, Punk was better than Bryan at the top. They at least had somewhat of an idea on what to do with Punk, because he was a well rounded star. He can talk, wrestle, and play a heel or face at the drop of a hat. Bryan on the other hand is a great wrestler with a really popular catchphrase, and that's about it. He's not nearly as durable as Punk. Also I don't know how you can rag on Punk's appearance not having mass appeal, but don't point out that other guy in this equation looks like a garden gnome.
          You're right on Batista. There's no fucking way they were like "hey, you know what we should do? Spend a bunch of money on a dude and set him up to win at WM, which will prompt one of our bigger earners to leave, which will then set up this little guy with the money catch phrase to win the strap instead". They thought they could pull their blast from the past bullshit once again with a dude who was looking to promote something and it completely backfired. Good, cus fuck Batista.

Punk would have still been better than Bryan at the top because he was more or less setting up his own programs by that point. Granted they weren't letting him dictate months and months of show like he wanted to with shit like SES but they were giving him enough leeway to design his own feuds, which generally made them better.

The problem Punk had is the same problem Bryan would have had, they aren't the cash cows, so they can never be the main focal point of a card. Cena is still the guy, and thus he will always be treated that way. At least when he has the belt (which, as I have said here before, sucks) his status on the card is justifiable beyond more than money.

Read about Battlegrounds, sounded meh. It's the one before SummerSlam so you know there really isn't going to be anything out of the ordinary.

Comment

So, did anyone watch Battleground? Any good?
            Nope.

Comment

• Originally posted by lightzonlycast View Post

The problem Punk had is the same problem Bryan would have had, they aren't the cash cows, so they can never be the main focal point of a card. Cena is still the guy, and thus he will always be treated that way. At least when he has the belt (which, as I have said here before, sucks) his status on the card is justifiable beyond more than money.
              In fairness, Punk was given plenty of oppourtunity to be that next big star. He never really did live up to the hype that his "pipebomb" created. Punk was given the ball, he just didn't run very far with it.

Comment

In fairness, Punk was given plenty of oppourtunity to be that next big star. He never really did live up to the hype that his "pipebomb" created. Punk was given the ball, he just didn't run very far with it.
                I don't disagree with you. However, after a game changing promo like that that would be hard to follow up anyways, you have to look at some of the guys around him which were the guys who could possibly challenge for the belt. Not much there to choose from that could create dynamic, interesting feuds.

Comment

• Uh oh.......

The Lana promo at last night's WWE Battleground PPV, where she remarked, "You blame Russia for the recent current events? When in fact you Americans should be scolded for your war-mongering in Afghanistan and Iraq? You Americans should be insulted and afraid."

That comment in the promo, coming just days after a Malaysia Airlines flight was shot down over the Ukraine, led to a flurry of negative media coverage of WWE internationally.

The New York Daily News, The Daily Mall in Great Britain, The UK's The Independent, Australia's News.com.au and The Washington Post all covered the Lana and Rusev characters, the promo and the reaction online from those felt it veered too closely to the Malaysian Flight tragedy, which caused 300 deaths.

WWE has yet to respond to the news coverage.
                  And FUCK WWE for what they have done to Cesaro. Although I have love for Heath Slater it was horrid that he was the one to throw Cesaro out. It's such a shame what they did with his momentum during the WM season and after.
                  Sometimes, you just have to be offensive to offensive people - Max Nofziger

Comment

• It always blows my mind at how the media treats the WWE like a joke, but as soon as they do something the least bit controversial, it's very serious business.

They better not fuck with Rusev/Lana.

And Heath eliminated Cesero? I guess it goes to show that unless you're CM Punk or Brock Lesnar, stay the fuck away from Paul Heyman. He's almost as big of a curse as winning the IC title is.

Comment

• Haven't kept up with wrestling.....Is Sting back, or is that just for 2K15?

Comment

• Originally posted by Iggy View Post
                        Haven't kept up with wrestling.....Is Sting back, or is that just for 2K15?
                        Just for the game. He might wrestle sometime, but if his work in TNA is an indication, he needs to just stay retired.

Comment

• I watched Battleground and thought the matches were good. Match of the night goes to Usos Vs Wyatts, they tore the house down! Very Surprised Usos won but it makes them look so strong. Who next though?

Miz as the new IC champ sucks. I don't like the guy at all and there's so many people more deserving.

Lastly the "controversy" over Lana and Rusev is bullshit. Lana cut an awesome promo (amazing manager, so much heat!!) and said something along the lines of "American propaganda blames Russia over the recent current events." I was surprised she said it but pleased. Nothing wrong with it.

I doubt the PC brigade are actually offended, they are just making a mountain out of a molehill to entertain themselves, pathetic. If WWE was wise they would simply capitalize on the controversy.

Originally posted by Blakelock View Post
                          Just for the game. He might wrestle sometime, but if his work in TNA is an indication, he needs to just stay retired.
                          If he gets back into shape so he doesn't have to wear a t-shirt I say let him wrestle 1 last match. It would be a nice attraction for 1 night only.
                          Last edited by Midnight-Kroovy; 07-21-2014, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• WWE Issues Official Statement Regarding Lana's Battleground Promo

Honestly, I don't think they're bullshitting us here. What she said could have applied to literally anything Russia has done or been involved with over the last few years. I don't see the issue.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                            I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post
                              WWE Issues Official Statement Regarding Lana's Battleground Promo

Honestly, I don't think they're bullshitting us here. What she said could have applied to literally anything Russia has done or been involved with over the last few years. I don't see the issue.
                              They were clearly referencing the plane incident and the crowd knew that but they worded it in a broader way that wasn't distasteful. It's in context with their storyline though and it's actually a fair argument, nothing to be offended about.

I would love for Lana to take a shot at the media on Raw.

Also their match was pretty good last night, it's great to see wrestling with actual heat. Hope they run with it and I see Hogan getting involved at Summerslam.

Comment

• I'm still sad they axed Hassan because of London terrorist attacks, but I'd be thrilled if this gets rid of Rusev. The guy hasn't entertained me at all, and neither has Lana repeatedly saying "shut up".

Comment

Working...
                                X