The Official UFC/MMA Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paradis v.1 View Post
    what are you guys talking about.. i posted this in another forum and i'll say it here.

Machida has earned his pass into the high rollers club. He's earned the right to be mentioned as one of the current best in the division. But thats as far as it goes.

Exhibit A - Rampage scores over Machida alone in the department of being resilient. How many fighters have we all seen have a phenomenal run and then fall of their face and never look the same. I can think of 5 off the top of my head. Machida has a long ways to go yet and lot to prove before you HISTORY can make such ludicrous statements like this smut.
    Machida has NEVER had to demonstrate that kind of resiliency yet, and he will. He is human. Rampage has shown on numerous occasions that he can loose a big match, and bounce back to be competitive at the same level.
    Exhibit B- Machida has not had to stand on the big stage of a main event and deliver in a title fight where the pressure is immense. Nor has he successfully defended a title and the challege that comes along with being the best consistently. Rampage can say he has.
    Exhibit C- Machida has not fought a 5 round fight in the UFC. check that one for Jackson too.
    Exhibit D - Machida has not had to get into the octagon with an opponent he's previous lost a match to and deal with the psychological handicapp that comes along with that. Rampage has successfully done just that to wipe clean the skeletons in his closet.

Machida has the potential to do all those things and he'll get his shot. But the man has LOTS left to prove.
    Exhibit A - This is kind of discrediting his undefeated streak. You can't be resilient until you lose, which he hasn't.

Exhibit B - This is because no one is giving him a damn title shot!

Exhibit C - Once again, no title shot. How you can you try to deny him his title shot, then hold the fact that he's never had one against him?

Exhibit D - He's undefeated. This gives him far more credit than fighting someone who's beaten him.

In a nutshell you're saying he needs to lose and get a title shot, to get a title shot . I am by no means discrediting Rampage. I actually like him more than Lyoto. But this is more of an attempt to give credit where credit is due, which is a title shot for Lyoto. It's about damn time.
    Last edited by sleestak; 03-11-2009, 01:19 PM.
    http://showcase.netins.net/web/teampony

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
    ~ Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/3/11...sk-from-tapout

Mask from Tapout has died in a car accident. I know a lot of people find him annoying but he has done more for fighters and mma than most anyone else involved in the sport. They support fighters from the ground up and have been a part of mma since the beginning. Sad news.

Comment

• Tapout's "Mask" has been killed in an auto accident:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14232/tapo...o-accident.mma

I used to make fun of this guy, until I realised how dedicated Tapout had been to MMA, even from the days when a dollar was hard to make in the business. Too bad.

RIP.

Comment

• Oh God, somebody put an end to the sideshow that is Ken Shamrock. Well actually, he might have just done that himself.

He has been suspended one year, for use of anabolic steroids. The Bobby Lashley fight is off. Ken Shamrock is a tool.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14236/ken-...teroid-use.mma

If I were Jones Jr., I'd offer Kimbo Slice the spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heretic View Post
            Oh God, somebody put an end to the sideshow that is Ken Shamrock. Well actually, he might have just done that himself.

He has been suspended one year, for use of anabolic steroids. The Bobby Lashley fight is off. Ken Shamrock is a tool.

Get Petruzelli!

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
            ~ Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• ok, fine. but i don;t think leaning on his record makes him more of a title shot contender. i know that sounds backwards, but clearly the man hasn't been actively fighting top level competition until recently.

that post was directed at someone who claimed giving Rampage the shot first was insane, and i replied that it made all the sense in the world. Rampage has proven himself in areas Machida has not. Lyoto will most certainly have his shot to add those dynamics to his resume though in the next year i'm sure.

regardless it doesn't matter now. Should be an amazing match come may, and i hope we get a chance to see a round robin of sorts between these 3 guys
              ]

Comment

clearly the man hasn't been actively fighting top level competition until recently.
                Machida has wins over Stephan Bonnar, Rich Franklin, and B.J. Penn prior to coming into the UFC. He's not crushing cans by any means. Not to mention Tito Ortiz and Thiago Silva.

~ Marcus Aurelius

Comment

i hope we get a chance to see a round robin of sorts between these 3 guys
                  Pretty much what I am saying. These guys facing off in any combination is good for us.

Comment

• RIP Mask!
                    A true staple in MMA

Comment

• Originally posted by SplitBreast View Post
                      Machida hasn't had to prove resiliency because he hasn't lost. How is Quinton bouncing back from losses more impressive than Machida not losing?

I'm not trying to argue that Rampage doesn't deserve a shot. I would have been fine with him getting an immediate rematch after the Forrest fight because he only lost a close decision. With follow up wins over Wandy and Jardine it's inarguable he deserves a shot but Lyoto also has a great claim to it.

Rampage is having surgery so the argument is moot anyway. Lyoto goes first, Rampage gets the winner. Win-win situation for all of us. Multiple great fights coming up.
                      I agree 100%

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                      Oh God, somebody put an end to the sideshow that is Ken Shamrock. Well actually, he might have just done that himself.

Shamrock = The Ram of MMA

I would be interested in watching Lashley and Kimbo go at it, Kimbo would knock him the fuck out tho.

Comment

• Originally posted by dead breed View Post
                        I agree 100%

Shamrock = The Ram of MMA

I would be interested in watching Lashley and Kimbo go at it, Kimbo would knock him the fuck out tho.
                        What do you base that line of molarky on?

Comment

• Originally posted by 5hitBum View Post
                          What do you base that line of molarky on?
                          I see Lashley taking him down and pounding him out.

Comment

• I guess I wasn't the only one a little concerned over the officiating as of late. The MMA community has started to ask some questions, and certain referees might want to perfect their skills. *cough* Yves Lavigne *cough*. That man is a sadistic bastard.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14272/conc...fficiating.mma

Comment

• Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                              I guess I wasn't the only one a little concerned over the officiating as of late. The MMA community has started to ask some questions, and certain referees might want to perfect their skills. *cough* Yves Lavigne *cough*. That man is a sadistic bastard.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14272/conc...fficiating.mma
                              Forget Lavigne. Dana is trying to have Mazzagatti banned from reffing UFC events

Lavigne made one bad mistake and immediately apologized and accepted all the blame and responsibility. He doesn't have the history of failing as bad as other guys.

Comment

Should be? how so. A proven champion in rampage deserves a shot at the title again before Machida, period.
                                Don't worry, Machida will murder them both in turn.
                                Seriously man, you and me, we're f*%&ing done professionally.

Comment

Working...
                                X