Connect with us

Editorials

‘Mace: The Dark Age’ – The ‘Mortal Kombat’-Style Fighting Game Lost to the 1990s

Published

on

Mortal Kombat really changed the game, huh?

Sure, the game’s hand at unintentionally leading the charge for the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) has been covered to death in the decades since the ultra-bloody fighter first hit the scene. But beyond the widespread controversy caused by the game’s audacity at suggesting that a ninja can exhale fire balls to disintegrate another ninja into sawdust, what Mortal Kombat brought to the fighting game scene was the inspiration to continuously push the boundaries on what was acceptable to portray in a video game.

But for a series that is so intertwined with its own controversy, MK took time to reinvent itself, showing just how much mileage the blood-drenched game of fisticuffs could have even in the modern day. The games have dabbled in the third dimension, developed a story that is just engaging enough to keep us glued to the non-fighting scenes, and tweaked their gameplay dynamics to fit into the professional fighting game scene.

On the flipside, the 90s was also home to “Mortal Kombat-likes”: fighting games that intended to capitalize on the success Mortal Kombat found with its gory and at-the-time transgressive content. Games such as Kasumi Ninja, War Gods, Cosmic Carnage, and oh so many more spawned from this 90s movement. If MK was able to break through the mainstream, then it stood to reason that developers would try their hand at breaking through with their own brand of edginess.

But what many of these games didn’t realize was how limited the appeal of gore baths and snarky humor was, especially when that was all that was offered. All the carnage and jokes in the world couldn’t mask how blatant the inspiration was and how little they learned from MK’s gradual evolvement that started even in the 90s. These games, varied in concepts but identical in execution, could do nothing except flounder in the shadow of the Midway titan.

In this sea of MK-likes, Mace: The Dark Age stood out as different from the bunch. Released by Atari Games in 1997, Mace would not go the way of the usual 2D gore fests that were already suffering from a mixed-to-negative reception in comparison to MK. That isn’t to say that Mace wasn’t another MK clone – the game’s heavy emphasis on fatal finishing moves (you know, fatalities) was reason enough to lump it with the MK-likes and the game itself isn’t shy about wearing its influences on its sleeve.

But there’s a retro finesse to Mace: The Dark Age that mere words can’t do justice, try as I may. A visual splendor for the time, Mace had a leg up on the competition largely due to its confident presentation. Set in medieval times, the story concerns the Mace of Tanis, a powerful weapon imbued with necropotic energy that grants its holder unimaginable power. In the hands of an all-powerful tyrant named Asmodeus, nations spread throughout Europe and Asia send their fiercest fighters to get ahold of the mace, either for more power or to stop the current reign of terror.

With a backstory that is just detailed enough for players to be subconsciously aware of in the background, Mace takes the stakes of its story and the motivations behind the roster of characters incredibly serious. A ragtag roster of warriors fighting for power is a simple hook for the eventual fighting, almost too simple of a hook, and yet Mace commits to the boundaries and lore of its own universe to keep us engaged.

An in-game universe that is touted as being a brutal, war-torn hellscape of death and suffering is just a natural fit for the Mortal Kombat aesthetics and Mace stands as an example of a game giving exactly what it advertises. Characters range from monks and samurais to a masked executioner that is literally only called The Executioner in-game because yeah, that’s what he is. In an era where MK-likes – and video games in general, were getting comfortable with calling themselves out on their own perceived flaws, Mace’s appeal largely relied on catering to our braindead desires to witness video game violence to get a reaction.

And that it did in the arcades. Initially sold to arcades before its N64 port later in the year, Mace: The Dark Age became a commercial hit amidst the sea of MK clones that had crashed and burned up to that point. Mace’s trump card to success was the cutting-edge graphics that attracted more and more people to the arcades. Running on a 3Dfx Voodoo graphics card, Mace stood out as one of the earlier instances of fighting games being given the benefits of the third dimension to add a new depth to the fighting system. Movement in 3D was obviously limited, but players were still rewarded with the option to move and sway in a manner that more closely resembled real life than most games at the time.

While 3D gaming was already revitalizing video games as a whole by 1997, Mace was still seen as a step-up in terms of its admittedly glitzy presentation. Virtua Fighter had already made waves with its 3D fighting engine 4 years prior, but Mace’s massive graphical upgrade caught people’s eye in the way that VF and the previous year’s Dead or Alive could only manage. Tekken 3 and Mortal Kombat 4 hadn’t been released to the entire world yet, so Mace was able to get its time in the sun as a result.

Of course Mace is not a hidden masterpiece floating around in purgatory waiting for a resurgence in popularity. For as groundbreaking as it may have been from a graphical standpoint, the game still suffered from many of the same issues that its predecessors had come across. A distinct lack of variety beyond the violence, fun yet gimmicky characters with a short shelf life, and clunky movement that wasn’t as refined as what we would see with Tekken 3 the following year.

Mace avoided the trappings of some Mortal Kombat stereotypes, but it had came in a time of change for the video game industry. Between the aforementioned Tekken and similar games like Soul Edge (what would later become Soulcalibur) and DOA joining the likes of Mario, Resident Evil, and Doom in helping to incorporate larger uses of 3D in their respective formats, Mace was ultimately a victim of circumstance.

One could argue that the game itself was not memorable enough to survive, but Mace’s presentation drips untapped potential, especially in the world of fighting games. There is a visceral level of fun to be had in trying your hand at Mace’s various characters, each wielding their respective weapons and swinging them with ferocity. The fight announcer sounding like a wrestler cutting a monster heel promo only adds to the game’s barbaric charm.

But it was a charm that quickly faded as the video game industry moved on. Mace was an arcade hit, but its port to the N64 was less favorable, only standing out for being the best of a thin N64 bunch at the time. Beyond its mixed switch to consoles, Tekken 3 and Mortal Kombat 4 were waiting in the wings and by the time the new millennia rolled around and console games started to take mainstream precedence over the arcade, Mace became relegated to the world of video game and movie shops, which is ironically the manner in which I personally discovered the game.

My parents would rent the game for me because, like so many others, a game that appeared this violent quickly brought forth memories of Mortal Kombat, which they remember me enjoying and raging over. I, like the industry as a whole, had my fun with the game before moving on and with consoles now being the main way to scratch our video game itch, a lone N64 port of an oft-forgotten fighting game didn’t have a chance in hell at surviving the times.

Fighting games have evolved beyond what we ever thought was possible and I am stoked to see the FGC alive and well in this day and age. Tekken, Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Guilty Gear, Smash Bros, and of course Mortal Kombat have weathered their respective storms to become the cream of the crop for the eternally expanding world of fighting games, but looking back at what could have been isn’t always a bad thing in my eyes.

Mace: The Dark Age was an admirable attempt to craft a hard-hitting whopper of a fighting game and the fact that it had any success at all is a testament to its qualities. Sure, it was a Mortal Kombat clone in its DNA, but Mace had the good thought to try and improve on MK’s appeal rather than just ape the formula. It may not have broken through at the end of the day, but Mace’s personality and presentation make it an endearing what-if in the world of fighting games. What if Mace: The Dark Age became one of the landmarks of fighting games?

We’ll never know, but with the fighting game world in the midst of another golden age, maybe we can finally pull Mace out of the dark ages.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Editorials

‘A Haunted House’ and the Death of the Horror Spoof Movie

Published

on

Due to a complex series of anthropological mishaps, the Wayans Brothers are a huge deal in Brazil. Around these parts, White Chicks is considered a national treasure by a lot of people, so it stands to reason that Brazilian audiences would continue to accompany the Wayans’ comedic output long after North America had stopped taking them seriously as comedic titans.

This is the only reason why I originally watched Michael Tiddes and Marlon Wayans’ 2013 horror spoof A Haunted House – appropriately known as “Paranormal Inactivity” in South America – despite having abandoned this kind of movie shortly after the excellent Scary Movie 3. However, to my complete and utter amazement, I found myself mostly enjoying this unhinged parody of Found Footage films almost as much as the iconic spoofs that spear-headed the genre during the 2000s. And with Paramount having recently announced a reboot of the Scary Movie franchise, I think this is the perfect time to revisit the divisive humor of A Haunted House and maybe figure out why this kind of film hasn’t been popular in a long time.

Before we had memes and internet personalities to make fun of movie tropes for free on the internet, parody movies had been entertaining audiences with meta-humor since the very dawn of cinema. And since the genre attracted large audiences without the need for a serious budget, it made sense for studios to encourage parodies of their own productions – which is precisely what happened with Miramax when they commissioned a parody of the Scream franchise, the original Scary Movie.

The unprecedented success of the spoof (especially overseas) led to a series of sequels, spin-offs and rip-offs that came along throughout the 2000s. While some of these were still quite funny (I have a soft spot for 2008’s Superhero Movie), they ended up flooding the market much like the Guitar Hero games that plagued video game stores during that same timeframe.

You could really confuse someone by editing this scene into Paranormal Activity.

Of course, that didn’t stop Tiddes and Marlon Wayans from wanting to make another spoof meant to lampoon a sub-genre that had been mostly overlooked by the Scary Movie series – namely the second wave of Found Footage films inspired by Paranormal Activity. Wayans actually had an easier time than usual funding the picture due to the project’s Found Footage presentation, with the format allowing for a lower budget without compromising box office appeal.

In the finished film, we’re presented with supposedly real footage recovered from the home of Malcom Johnson (Wayans). The recordings themselves depict a series of unexplainable events that begin to plague his home when Kisha Davis (Essence Atkins) decides to move in, with the couple slowly realizing that the difficulties of a shared life are no match for demonic shenanigans.

In practice, this means that viewers are subjected to a series of familiar scares subverted by wacky hijinks, with the flick featuring everything from a humorous recreation of the iconic fan-camera from Paranormal Activity 3 to bizarre dance numbers replacing Katy’s late-night trances from Oren Peli’s original movie.

Your enjoyment of these antics will obviously depend on how accepting you are of Wayans’ patented brand of crass comedy. From advanced potty humor to some exaggerated racial commentary – including a clever moment where Malcom actually attempts to move out of the titular haunted house because he’s not white enough to deal with the haunting – it’s not all that surprising that the flick wound up with a 10% rating on Rotten Tomatoes despite making a killing at the box office.

However, while this isn’t my preferred kind of humor, I think the inherent limitations of Found Footage ended up curtailing the usual excesses present in this kind of parody, with the filmmakers being forced to focus on character-based comedy and a smaller scale story. This is why I mostly appreciate the love-hate rapport between Kisha and Malcom even if it wouldn’t translate to a healthy relationship in real life.

Of course, the jokes themselves can also be pretty entertaining on their own, with cartoony gags like the ghost getting high with the protagonists (complete with smoke-filled invisible lungs) and a series of silly The Exorcist homages towards the end of the movie. The major issue here is that these legitimately funny and genre-specific jokes are often accompanied by repetitive attempts at low-brow humor that you could find in any other cheap comedy.

Not a good idea.

Not only are some of these painfully drawn out “jokes” incredibly unfunny, but they can also be remarkably offensive in some cases. There are some pretty insensitive allusions to sexual assault here, as well as a collection of secondary characters defined by negative racial stereotypes (even though I chuckled heartily when the Latina maid was revealed to have been faking her poor English the entire time).

Cinephiles often claim that increasingly sloppy writing led to audiences giving up on spoof movies, but the fact is that many of the more beloved examples of the genre contain some of the same issues as later films like A Haunted House – it’s just that we as an audience have (mostly) grown up and are now demanding more from our comedy. However, this isn’t the case everywhere, as – much like the Elves from Lord of the Rings – spoof movies never really died, they simply diminished.

A Haunted House made so much money that they immediately started working on a second one that released the following year (to even worse reviews), and the same team would later collaborate once again on yet another spoof, 50 Shades of Black. This kind of film clearly still exists and still makes a lot of money (especially here in Brazil), they just don’t have the same cultural impact that they used to in a pre-social-media-humor world.

At the end of the day, A Haunted House is no comedic masterpiece, failing to live up to the laugh-out-loud thrills of films like Scary Movie 3, but it’s also not the trainwreck that most critics made it out to be back in 2013. Comedy is extremely subjective, and while the raunchy humor behind this flick definitely isn’t for everyone, I still think that this satirical romp is mostly harmless fun that might entertain Found Footage fans that don’t take themselves too seriously.

Continue Reading