BLOODY-DISGUSTING

BLOODY-DISGUSTING (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/legacy/index.php)
-   Modern Horror (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/legacy/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   The Others (2001) (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/legacy/showthread.php?t=18971)

mcilroga 06-24-2007 11:39 PM

The Others (2001)

No existing thread...

Having seen 1408 recently got me to thinking about the psychological horror film The Others, which I haven't seen in at least a year, but remember it being superb. I saw it in theatres as well, and the audience was genuinely frightened (including myself). I definitely think it's one of the best ghost story movies around, and I often hear it compared to The Ring. So discuss the film here.

Doktor Zalost 06-24-2007 11:47 PM

I liked the movie. I wouldn't call it horror rather mystery of some sort. And I really don't see much parallels with above mentioned the Ring.

xmorecowbellx 06-25-2007 02:12 AM

I love this movie...

Haven't really heard it compared to The Ring though...The only comparisons I could see made there is that they both involve ghosts, and a blonde Australian actress is the lead character.

I HAVE heard it compared to The Sixth Sense though. And frankly I prefer this one over that. The Others actually creeped me out, The Sixth Sense gave me a few jumps. And the endings are somewhat similair...Although with The Sixth Sense I figured it out about halfway through. But The Others final twist threw my ass for a loop...

Now I wanna go watch this movie again...

Shadow-Master713 06-25-2007 02:24 AM

Ah yes, this movie is proof of how to make a genre film that's PG-13 and actually frightening. Notice that there's no teeny-bopper stars and it relies completely on the atmosphere of the secluded and rather creepy mansion. The only problem is that is has a "twist" ending which ruins its replay value.

Otherwise a solid film with decent acting. 8/10 from me.

goose101 06-25-2007 02:45 AM

I also love this movie. As for 1408...:sleep: I don't know I just didn't like 1408 as much as I wanted to.

xGOREGASMx 06-25-2007 07:50 AM

Movie was good, but I dont think it deserves much attention in a horror forum.

neverscaryenough 06-26-2007 11:04 PM

as hard as i tried to fake being bored, this movie really creeped me out-it was inventive, suspenseful, and provided some good scares, i think a lot of people simply dismissed it because it was pg13 or they thought it was a sixth sense ripoff (untrue, m. night didn't corner the market on confused identity ghosts!)

Polishgonewild 06-26-2007 11:25 PM

this movie was pretty good ending was wierd though.

SlightlyDemented 06-28-2007 02:26 AM

Anyone know what Alejandro Amenabar has been up to lately?

KILLERinaCAGE 06-28-2007 02:47 AM

"are you mad" ? , "I am your daughter. " good line .

Movie had a great twist and was a fresh idea on the ghost story , gave me chills .