The Official UFC/MMA Thread - Page 846 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > The Locker Room

The Locker Room Like sports? Well I don't, but I made you a forum anyways. Yeah, I'm THAT nice.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #8451
dead breed
Super Moderator

dead breed is fire walk with me.

Fitch shouldn't have been cut. No matter how boring or whatever he is .. As long as he's a consistent fighter/wins/keeps in the top 10 he should have a job in my opinion.

Why keep Dan Hardy around and remember Keith Jardine?

Also Sonnen getting a title shot = crazy .. Dana's dropping the ball lately. I thought it was about the best fighter getting the title shot / keeping their job ... Guess I was mistaken.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #8452
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs

Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.

Send a message via MSN to Oxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
It's not shit though. What does he do for the sport, other than put fans to sleep? Especially now that he's losing.

I don't expect everyone to be Anderson Silva, but the guys who just blanket their opponents to a decision over, and over, and over again, need to realize that it is a spectator sport(IE a business), as well as a competition, and the UFC are not going to showcase guys that make the sport look boring. Especially now, with the FOX deal. They have to up their game.

That being said, the real problem is how fights are judged. A takedown equals, and more often than not, completely negates a round of dominant striking. A fighter could hit a guy 100 fucking times, but if his opponent gets one or two stinkin' takedowns in the round, the takedowns get the 10-9. It's absolutely retarded.

If the judging system was changed, you wouldn't have these blanket fighters.
I just think it's a bit of a blow to just drop him. Could have told him to change his game a bit. And if he done it again then give him the axe.

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlust View Post
Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
My little idiot..
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #8453
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs

Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.

Send a message via MSN to Oxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead breed View Post
Fitch shouldn't have been cut. No matter how boring or whatever he is .. As long as he's a consistent fighter/wins/keeps in the top 10 he should have a job in my opinion.

Also Sonnen getting a title shot = crazy .. Dana's dropping the ball lately. I thought it was about the best fighter getting the title shot / keeping their job ... Guess I was mistaken.
This

I've never liked Dana. I think his a cunt.

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlust View Post
Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
My little idiot..
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #8454
Ultimate High
Rotting Corpse

Ultimate High has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
It's not shit though. What does he do for the sport, other than put fans to sleep? Especially now that he's losing.

I don't expect everyone to be Anderson Silva, but the guys who just blanket their opponents to a decision over, and over, and over again, need to realize that it is a spectator sport(IE a business), as well as a competition, and the UFC are not going to showcase guys that make the sport look boring. Especially now, with the FOX deal. They have to up their game.

That being said, the real problem is how fights are judged. A takedown equals, and more often than not, completely negates a round of dominant striking. A fighter could hit a guy 100 fucking times, but if his opponent gets one or two stinkin' takedowns in the round, the takedowns get the 10-9. It's absolutely retarded.

If the judging system was changed, you wouldn't have these blanket fighters.
As an extremely casual MMA fan, these are my sentiments. Nothing worse than a blanket; see: last TUF, worst champion, ever.

Dana White is extremely honest and upfront about this, he wants exciting fighters who finish fights and I frankly agree with him.

inhale

exhale
Ultimate High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #8455
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead breed View Post
But he's not consistant anymore. He's lost 2 out of 3, and got a draw against washed up BJ Penn. If he was still on his crazy winning streak, I'd agree, but he's not. He just got completely dominated by Damian Maia, who is practically a gatekeeper himself.

Quote:
Because they lay it all on the line each and every time out, and their styles are crowd pleasers. You could add Wanderlei Silva to that list as well.

You just can't ignore the business aspect of the sport. MMA is very unique industry. It's not like other individual sports, like Tennis, or Golf, where personalities and styles don't really matter, as long as they're the best at what they do. Those sports sell themselves. With MMA, they have to have a bit of showmanship, and put on fights that fans want to see. It's just the way it is.

Quote:
That's just a purist myth. That the UFC at one time was all about honour, and respect, and never about the dollars. That's bullshit.

Sonnen getting a title shot is ridiculous, but let's not forget that Randy Couture had a HW title shot gifted to him, after getting KTFO twice at LHW. Anderson Silva got a title shot for beating Chris Leben. Brock Lesnar, Nick Diaz, Frankie Edgar, BJ Penn, Rampage, Shogun, etc, have all been gifted title shots in the past(and future, in Nick Diaz's case), for the sole reason that they appealed to the fans the most, and their names carry the highest value.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #8456
Ultimate High
Rotting Corpse

Ultimate High has no status.

On the first episode of the most recent TUF, Dana has a monologue where he notes that he had a list of fighters to challenge Jon Jones and the only one that accepted was Chael Sonnen. I'm not sure how accurate and/or truthful that is but that's what was said.

I think it also probably has a lot to do with how good Sonnen is on TV. This is the best group of athletes I've ever seen on TUF and I'm assuming Dana was aware of this fact before going into it hence selecting Jon J and the aforementioned, Mr.Personality as the coaches.

Again, as UFC is concerned, I'm really just getting my feet wet, so I'm not directly familiar with Sonnen's (infamous) facade he apparently puts on to hype his fights but I will say that thus far, he's my the best coach I've ever seen on the show and has made me a big fan in the short time it's aired.

inhale

exhale

Last edited by Ultimate High; 02-21-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Ultimate High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #8457
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate High View Post
On the first episode of the most recent TUF, Dana has a monologue where he notes that he had a list of fighters to challenge Jon Jones and the only one that accepted was Chael Sonnen. I'm not sure how accurate and/or truthful that is but that's what was said.
There is some truth to it, but....

Quote:
I think it also probably has a lot to do with how good Sonnen is on TV.
That's the real reason.

Quote:
Again, I'm really just getting my feet wet as far as UFC is concerned, so I'm not familiar with Sonnen's (infamous) facade he apparently puts to hype his fights but I will say that, hands-down, he's the best coach I've ever seen on the show and has made me a fan in the short time it's been on.
Oh' man, he's nothing like he was a short time ago. He's on good behaviour these days, and very respectful. His schtick used to be being an absolute fucking asshole, who could articulate his douche-ness better than anyone in the business, and could back it up. He was basically a pro-wrestling promoter's dream.

You should really watch his promos during his Anderson Silva feuds, to get an idea on just how good he is at selling a fight. I wouldn't be surprised if Dana is a little pissed that he's changed his personna around.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #8458
travisbickle
Send... More... Paramedics

travisbickle is warning you, I'll put a knife right in you!

Anyone watch Bellator tonight? SPOILER> Mo got KO'd!
Didn't see that one coming...Actually I did. He kept his hands way too damn low.

Cockiness caught up with him.

My DVD's/Blu's
travisbickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #8459
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
Anyone watch Bellator tonight? SPOILER> Mo got KO'd!
Didn't see that one coming...Actually I did. He kept his hands way too damn low.

Cockiness caught up with him.
Not to mention training part-time.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #8460
The Bear Jew
It... Won't... Die...

The Bear Jew is the Sadie Saxton of BD...

Pretty hyped for UFC 157 tonight, anyone on here getting it? Any thoughts on the matches?

I'm looking forward for Rousey, Faber and Henderson...