The Walking Dead (Live-Action Series) - Page 295 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > General Horror Talk

General Horror Talk Does it have something to do with horror? Does it not fit in anywhere else? Post It Here!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #2941
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator has no status.

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

I agree that Andrew Lincoln sucks... They could have done much better.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #2942
Klown
Super Moderator

Klown has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerX View Post
A decision I still dont fully understand. I love the show but honestly dont think it would have become as popular if it werent for his input in the beginning.
It's AMC. Every show of theirs has run into similar issues. From what I remember reading, Darabont worked too slow. More like how films are made and less like how TV shows are made. After the show was a hit, AMC wanted to slash the budget.

I thought the finale was a disappointment. Just fell flat. Never had that epic confrontation that everyone was expecting. While it was nice to see the Governor completely lose his shit, it feels almost too late. Like it should have happened a few episodes back.
Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #2943
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
A decision I still dont fully understand. I love the show but honestly dont think it would have become as popular if it werent for his input in the beginning.
AMC is a strange beast. My only guess is that once they realized what a hit they had on their hands, they didn't feel the need to pay a premium for a showrunner. They just got rid of this season's showrunner as well. Maybe nipping it in the bud, before the guy starts asking for a raise due to how much money the show generates for AMC. Just get rid of him, and offer someone else their dream job, at a lower pay scale.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #2944
Jack the Pin
Send... More... Paramedics

Jack the Pin is trying to tie a bell around the tail of his Cartesian demon

Quote:
I think the complaint at the time was that Darabont was too heavy on the drama aspect of the series, and not heavy enough on the zombie action. I think he had a vision of the series as being something that would unfold very gradually like one of his movies. The AMC brass most have gotten nervous and tried to fit his vision to their need for good ratings in the first season. Darabont was never fired, but he left voluntarily, which shows that he was being pressured into making something that he just didn't want to make. I will credit him for creating the initial momentum that got this monolith moving. Now it's up to lesser men to keep it moving. It's a shame because Darabont had an in with the real, established, horror community in terms of writers and other creative people. My biggest fear is that the show will suffer at the hands of people who feel horror is somehow a lesser genre.
Jack the Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #2945
black coffee
It... Won't... Die...

black coffee has no status.

Send a message via MSN to black coffee

Eh, I was pretty satisfied with the finale.

Only gripe is that I really wanted to see
Spoiler Below
the Governor die.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #2946
Timvp
Rotting Corpse

Timvp is wandering in Limbo

Glad I'm not the only one who felt let down by it.
Spoiler Below
I know that they tried to make Andrea's death have more of a impact but it didn't do anything for me. Idk like if she was more like comic Andrea and did more things throughout the series that was important or did things which made the fans like her more then when it came time for her to die it would have been better but what's Andrea's crowning moment throughout the whole television series? Sleeping with every guy and almost putting a bullet in Daryl's head? This was pretty much a character whose been wanted gone for a long ass time rivaled only by Lori. Some of the writing for this shows characters is beyond terrible. Just imo.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #2947
black coffee
It... Won't... Die...

black coffee has no status.

Send a message via MSN to black coffee

Fuck it, there's too much unwarranted bitching about this show.

Sure, first half of Season 2 sucked (second half was great) and Season 1 and 3 were both awesome.

The more I think about the finale, the more I'm liking the way they handled The Governor:
Spoiler Below
He's now one of the most compelling characters, and he sets up the next season well. If they killed him they would be completely starting from scratch and just trying to find another cartoon-y villain to 1-up the Governor.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #2948
Jack the Pin
Send... More... Paramedics

Jack the Pin is trying to tie a bell around the tail of his Cartesian demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by black coffee View Post
Fuck it, there's too much unwarranted bitching about this show.

Sure, first half of Season 2 sucked (second half was great) and Season 1 and 3 were both awesome.

The more I think about the finale, the more I'm liking the way they handled The Governor:
Spoiler Below
He's now one of the most compelling characters, and he sets up the next season well. If they killed him they would be completely starting from scratch and just trying to find another cartoon-y villain to 1-up the Governor.
I agree with you on the amount of negativity the show attracts. I guess horror fans are harder to please than regular TV watchers. The problem also stems from the fact that the TWD comic creates a gold standard from which the TV series is judged. Despite it's many faults, the series is still one of the better shows on TV. I'd take it over the majority of cookie-cutter dramas that are out there. At least the creators of TWD are trying to get beyond the formula to create--through lots of trial and error--something that is memorable and unique. I've been startled and delighted and had my pulse ramped up by the better parts of the show, and I've been bored and perplexed and annoyed by it's worst. Season three offered more of the former and less of the latter, so I'll be tuning in next season for sure.

I agree with you take on the Governor as well. He's out there lurking somewhere, which makes him more of a threat than he would be if he were still the king of Woodbury. He'll return more angry, more crazy and more vengeful than ever.

EDIT:

i'm intrigued by this whole business with Carl and the kid he shot in cold blood. It's another instance where the show points up the ambiguity of whether killing is still cruel and inhuman in this world or somehow expedient and justifiable. Carl's reasons for killing the kid are pretty solid in light of the kill-or-be-killed showdown with Woodbury. Given how the situation turns out, however, it was yet another instance of bad judgment. The Governor's practical, soldierly attitude toward killing can not hide his sadism, and certainly some of Rick's decisions regarding people have been fairly cold-blooded, yet he always manages to see his mistakes and take to moral high road. This resistance to lapsing into some sort of black hearted moral relativism is a huge part of this show's dynamic.

Last edited by Jack the Pin; 04-02-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Jack the Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #2949
Mr. Bill
BD's Official Thunder Buddy!

Mr. Bill is watching bad movies so you don't have to

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/walking-dea...162705087.html

"For someone who does absolutely no exercise at all I sure am buff"

http://billsmovies.filmaf.com/
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #2950
Mr. Bill
BD's Official Thunder Buddy!