The Sacrament (Ti Wests' new Film) (2013) - Page 10 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:39 AM   #91
Se7en
The Bad Guy

Se7en is Frank Whaley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
Maybe not in the UK but its available on demand in the states right now.
I'm in Canada.

Just looked it up. Apparently hit online services on the first (Pretty sure it leaked before that) and it's getting a limited theatrical release on the sixth. My bad.
Se7en is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:12 AM   #92
TheReturnOfSarsoor
Rotting Corpse

TheReturnOfSarsoor has no status.

Eh I thought it was just ok. My fav scene was the mother-daughter scene at the end.
TheReturnOfSarsoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #93
TheSneak
Not Dead Yet

TheSneak has no status.

I actually thought this was one of the best found-footage films I've ever seen.

We just did a spoiler-free review on the flick last week.

TheSneak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #94
Chevy Chase
Not Dead Yet

Chevy Chase is celebrating thanksgiving day for the recently returned back to life cats

Default Sorry didnt read anyone elses reviews

There were too many and I suffer from old people add. Anyway I dug this film. I thought it was quite realistic and even if it was an exact duplicate of the Jonestown documentary it was a well done duplicate. Its as if TI saw the docu, pulled his directors Adam's apple and said, "now this would make a great film!" I think what we realize as as a society is that mad men are capable of causing ultimate mass hysteria and destruction, just one man can bring down a nation. Hell at this point even a child. Killing weapons are far more advanced since the Jonestown massacre, but it was someone of similar mind that did the killing, like today. Anyway Ti was making a political comment on this I believe and saw fit to do it through the eyes of the modern day media. Good movie and I believe good effort.
Chevy Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #95
chetrog
Fresh Kill

chetrog is waiting for the oxy 2 kick in

Finally watched this movie. It really didn't do much for me. It wasn't bad, but I probably wont watch it again. 5.5/10

Was hopping that it was more horror somehow. Just religion shit.

Do female Vampires menstruate?
chetrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #96
I am a HORROR movie!!!
The Living Dead

I am a HORROR movie!!! is brooding...

Send a message via MSN to I am a HORROR movie!!!

Watched this the other day. Loved it. West, for me, is one of the best horror filmmakers out there today. The religious theme grounds the film in reality and there's nothing scarier than bible-thumping fundamentalists. Gene Jones was spectacular as Father and AJ Bowen, etc are all competent in their roles. There was some wicked practical effects in there and a serious feeling of dread. I'd recommend it to everyone.

Psycho (1960) - Alfred Hitchcock
Bride of Frankenstein (1932) - James Whale
I Saw the Devil (2010) - Kim Jee-woon
Body Bags (1993) - John Carpenter
Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) - Panos Cosmatos
Halloween II (1981) - Rick Rosenthal
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - David Lynch
The Descent (2005) - Neil Marshall
Cemetary Man (1994) - Michele Soavi
Cabin Fever (2002) - Eli Roth
I am a HORROR movie!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #97
Spooger54
Not Dead Yet

Spooger54 has no status.

The movie was good but not great. Did not need to be a found footage movie in my opinion.
Spooger54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #98
CanyonBehindHer
Rotting Corpse

CanyonBehindHer has no status.

Send a message via AIM to CanyonBehindHer Send a message via Yahoo to CanyonBehindHer

If anyone didn't know, the dvd release is August 19th.
CanyonBehindHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #99
zombiedogfood
Fresh Kill

zombiedogfood has no status.

I usually hate found footage films, But this was one of the better ones. Up there near troll hunter for me, 6.5/10.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #100
horrorking95
Rotting Corpse

horrorking95 is singing Believe! BY CHER!

Send a message via MSN to horrorking95

I saw this last night:

I think the less you know about the Jonestown incident before seeing The Sacrament, the more effective the film is. I actually knew about the real-life incident before viewing the film, however it still came across in the film as something shocking and disturbing. After seeing Ti Westís flat effort at a ghost story in, The Innkeepers, I was keeping my expectations low for his feature length follow-up, however I was actually very pleasantly surprised. The Sacrament is one of the best found footage films weíve seen from America in quite a while.

The Sacrament isnít about zombies, ghosts or trolls. Instead, itís the intriguing story of an isolated cult which manages to avoid a lot of the cheap thrills and clichťs which found footage films have associated with them. I actually really liked the found footage angle it had as it heightened the feeling of isolation. It makes the audience feel like intruders, thus adding to the sense of mystery. Of course there are a few occasions where the victims pick up the camera before running for their lives, but itís a contrivance which is difficult to avoid and luckily it isnít actually too distracting.

Ti West is known for his slow-burning horror films, however I donít think The Innkeepers worked well as a slow-burner at all so I was preparing myself for boredom. Conversely, I didnít find one minute of The Sacrament boring at all. The first half does a fantastic job of building intrigue and atmosphere. From the moment we arrive on Eden Parish we know that something is menacing is lurking. We chat to the cult members who all seem jolly about the life theyíve created for themselves and it is interesting to watch. At times, The Sacrament does feel like a genuine documentary which adds to the disturbing reality underneath it.

Things take proper turn for the sinister when we meet the mysterious leader played by the coin toss man in No Country for Old Men! Gene Jones plays him splendidly creepily and comes across a genuine religious nutter. The dialogue Ti West creates for him also feels very authentic which makes for chilling viewing. Itís the final half hour which is the most disturbing to view though, as the film goes down a route you wouldnít really expect and breaks typical horror movie conventions.

I canít say that the idea is original because itís quite clearly based on true events, but it is original to use it in the way itís done here. There are some very unsettling scenes which managed to get right underneath my skin. I found the music very effective too in creating a depressive atmosphere that is difficult to shake off. When the film was over I felt genuinely unsettled which is something I donít feel with most modern horror films from America. It also manages to be disturbing without feeling gratuitous.

The Sacrament is a truly horrifying experience, although it doesnít pan out in the way you think it might. It manages to build up a sense of intrigue and realism which makes the third act all the more effective and powerful. I wouldíve liked some better character development and fewer contrivances, but overall The Sacrament is an effective horror film which has the power to unsettle and disturb.

8/10

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/
horrorking95 is offline   Reply With Quote