Penny Dreadful (2014 Showtime Series) - Page 4 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #31
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
Not saying that. Though comparing Sherlock to The Walking Dead and True Blood, especially in the writing department, is absurd.

For me, I would categorize the shows like this

A Shows:

Breaking Bad
True Detective
Mad Men
Game of Thrones

B Shows:

Hannibal (Could be A very soon!)
House of Cards
Sherlock
Homeland

C Shows:

The Walking Dead
American Horror Story
True Blood
The Newsroom

Haven't seen Treme or Boardwalk yet so I can't compare it to those, but judging most of the shit on TV (Not just the "premium" stuff) Sherlock is better than most of it.
Move House Of Cards up to the "A" category, and I'd agree. I'd drop The Newsroom into the "shit" category though. That show is downright awful

With that criteria, Sherlock certainly fits the "ok" description. It's a good adaptation that mostly succeeds, but in the end it can be kind of dull and contrived. It's not fair to compare it against the network fluff(or "everything"), because pretty much all those shows are better than that garbage. Even with your breakdown, it just sort of fits in the middle. better than 95%? Nah.

Heretic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #32
Se7en
The Bad Guy

Se7en is DRANK MOODY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Move House Of Cards up to the "A" category, and I'd agree. I'd drop The Newsroom into the "shit" category though. That show is downright awful
The first season of House of Cards might be my favorite season of TV ever, and I would agree with putting it in the "A" category if this was the beginning of February. After watching the second season I can't justify doing that. Such a disappointment. Kevin Spacey owns the role and I love the Fincher look and feel to it but a look and a performance can only get you so far.

The Newsroom lost me somewhere during or just after the Bin Laden episode. Still a fan, but Sorkin is at his most indulgent and I can see why some people would despise it, especially if you aren't a fan of his writing in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
With that criteria, Sherlock certainly fits the "ok" description. It's a good adaptation that mostly succeeds, but in the end it can be kind of dull and contrived. It's not fair to compare it against the network fluff(or "everything"), because pretty much all those shows are better than that garbage. Even with your breakdown, it just sort of fits in the middle. better than 95%? Nah.
Contrived yes, but no so much where it ends up being bothersome. In the end Sherlock is just Benedict Cumberbatch doing his thing but you could also say House of Cards is basically Kevin Spacey doing his thing.

If Sherlock was a regular, 13 episode season I would most likely end up agreeing with you but the short seasons and ostentatious dialogue keep things from never getting dull. At least for me.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #33
Santa
The Necromancer

Santa is stronger than the foundations of the earth

Finally finished the series and was ultimately underwhelmed. The very interesting plot which they introduced us to in the beginning lost it's course while reaching the end and vanished finally into nowhere, got kinda blurred. They fucked a great beginning totally up, the only interesting thing which kept me watching was Eva Green. Not only because of her looks, but mainly due to her acting capabilities. She saved the day in the last episodes with her versatile performances, giving me sometimes goosebumbs. Her scenes in which she is possessed are executed frightfully, showing us her wide array of her talent. Unfortunately, her talents of getting full frontal naked are left aside here. Another big fat minus in my book.
She clearly marginalized everybody else, making the outcome of the series for me irrelevant. A shame, because it had so much good potential, judging from the first episodes. For instance, they almost completely left out the continuation of the egyptian demonic entities, which got me hooked in the first place. The Frankenstein plot segment along with his vengeful creation was also pretty much abandoned, that part kept me tuning in as well.

Seems like that another promising series from the UK was put shamefully into sand.

Thumbs down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll
I would jizz on you if I were a man. I would jizz on everything if I had a penis for one day. Oh man I bet that feels so good. You guys are so lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonia
I like to skip dessert and get right down to relaxing after a meal with a hot bath and a facial.
Santa is online now   Reply With Quote