Ultimate Guitar/Bass thread! - Page 51 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Music Discussion

Music Discussion Wow that new Britney Track Rules! Talk about that (and other music stuff) here.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:17 PM   #501
Karl Hungus
Fresh Kill

Karl Hungus has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardigian View Post
yeah, the 4X12 gives your head a better position, but it's also a complete bitch to move around unless you drive a cargo van of something. up and down stairs is always fun with those too.

and you can always avoid bending over by simply placing your head on something besides the cab.

what amp do you have now, Karl?
Ah, people always say it's a bitch to move around, but I don't think so. Gone back and forth to the studio a good few times in my friend's car, a small one at that. All we did was let down the back seats and let the cab lie flat. We got my 4x12, head and a few pedals, his 2x12 combo and Pod XT live, and both our guitars and a 5 string bass, all into the back of the car, easy.

Maybe it's just me, being a big beefy Irishman who drinks Guinness, but the 4x12 has given me no problems what so ever, and I think people just exaggerate how akward they are.

The amp I have now is an Engl Fireball, 60watt tube head, which I've had now for about a year and a half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMBIE COMMANDO View Post
Any advice on cheap pedals used for good distortion? I smoked out my last two. I can't seem to find any that last over three months.
I've heard great things about the Line6 Ubermetal.

What are you doing that you're blowing them up? :confused:

www.karlhungus.com
Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #502
messiahofevil
Rotting Corpse

messiahofevil has no status.

Quote:
Any advice on cheap pedals used for good distortion? I smoked out my last two. I can't seem to find any that last over three months.
What are you using to power them?

messiahofevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #503
jesuschristfiend138
Fresh Kill

jesuschristfiend138 has no status.

one thing i always recommend to guitarists that have never played around with one and are completely poor, is the digitech RP guitar modeling processors. they're extremely cheap and sound great.

i have a semi-hollow body epiphone and i run it through a ampeg bass combo amp. i always wanted a mesa boogie amp for my guitars for the clarity it gave to the lows, but i could never afford it. that reminds me, is that bad for the amp as long as the volume isn't at the max all the time?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #504
mardigian
BANNED

mardigian has no status.

Quote:
if you have a tube amp, check out the Ibanez Tube Screamer. also, you can try getting an EQ pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
The amp I have now is an Engl Fireball, 60watt tube head, which I've had now for about a year and a half.
I've never had a chance to play any ENGL's, but I've heard great things about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahofevil View Post
What are you using to power them?
he's running his power from a lightning tower. who figured?

I just placed an order with MF. I ordered a mic set for $100, it has your basic recording mic, instrument mic, brackets for mounting and a nice hardcase for them both. I found it on thier best seller list of mics, and it was like the second of third.

I also ordered a DOD EQ pedal. I've been wanting to get one and looking at the Boss stuff, but then I read into the DOD and people were basically stating it's the same as the Boss, but less muddy. and it's half the price, $50.

and for fun, I threw in a $15 Danelectro chorus pedal. on MF people were saying it was a cool pedal for $15. how high of expectations can you have for $15?

in other news, I found some dealers that are somewhat local to me that sell Rivera amps. they're both in the next state over, one north the other west. oh well. I'm damn determined to get a K-tre head at this point. I feel it's worth saving a while longer to get something I'm not going to feel is underpowered in 6 months or so.

well, UPS just showed up and delivered my Toneport thingy. so I'm going to open it up, download the software and see if I can get some crude recordings of some ideas I have bouncing around in my head down. wish me luck!

also, I pose a question: to you (whomever's reading this. yeah, YOU!) what is the holy messiah of badass guitars, solely in your opinion?
mardigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #505
mardigian
BANNED

mardigian has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuschristfiend138 View Post
that reminds me, is that bad for the amp as long as the volume isn't at the max all the time?
it won't hurt anything as long as you're at modest levels. I know playing a bass through a cranked guitar amp can have negative effects on it. just because the bass gives out much deeper frequencies than a guitar, I believe.

but I'm not sure the other way around? I know guitar sounds off when played through a bass amp, as I've tried it before. sounds muddy and oddly condensed.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #506
Count Dragula
I Eat Brains!

Count Dragula has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Count Dragula Send a message via MSN to Count Dragula

Quote:
Could be the wrong voltage ac adapter.

I try to stay away from effects processors, as they often sound synthetic.

It really depends on the type of sound you're going for. I'm more of a vintage metal head, so in terms of straight distortion i've found the proco rat perfect for classic 80's metal. It's more versatile then say a boss, which is also a decent sounding pedal but made from cheap components. Gives it a more synthetic feel, and can be limiting in regards to tone.

You can get a keeley moded Boss ds1 rather cheaply, which sounds great and can be molded to a variety of playing styles.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=10

For full out thrash his modded Metal Zone is supposed to be insane:

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=16

I used to have a stock metal zone which I loved, but admittedly once again it sounds synthetic.

Anologman does great mods as well.

My personal favorite source of distortion is my dice works triangle/cornish p1 muff clone, vintage sounding fuzz at its finest. Sustain for days.

I use the NY muff reissue for Sabbath and White Stripe tones, as it produces a thick and heavy high gain fuzz. It can be a bitch to properly dial in though.

Honestly my favorite sound is vintage, so i'm not the best judge of metal grade distortions. I'm about to get a Throbak colorsound powerdriver clone, to further reach that classic 70's tone i'm so enamored with. Then a keeley moded BD-2, EH Small Stone and Electric Mistress.

I've a tube screamer Ts9 reissue, they're junk without the ts808 mod. Lackluster minus a tube amp to drive them, and heavy on the midhump regardless. More suited for lead work.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #507
Karl Hungus
Fresh Kill

Karl Hungus has no status.

Quote:
I've never had a chance to play any ENGL's, but I've heard great things about them.
Absolutely kickass amps.

I used to be a big Mesa Boogie fan untill I tried 'em. Sold my Boogie and got a Fireball. Still kinda miss the Mesa sound though, so I'd like to get another one some day, probably a Roadster.

But right now I'm looking to get an Engl Invader 100. 4 channels of awesomeness!

www.karlhungus.com
Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:20 PM   #508
mardigian
BANNED

mardigian has no status.

does anyone have ANY experience with these PC recording devices? I only have experience with very straightforward 4-track types.

I can't get that infernal toneport to do shit. I had to DL three different programs, and none of them seem to do jack shit. the main interface won't even recognize my fucking USB port.

so I'm looking at other free programs out there that are EASY to use for a newb who isn't a world apart computer savvy. what do you want, I spent my teen years playing guitar opposed to learning the intricacies of a PC and it's programs, etc...

I tried audacity, but it won't let me for some reason. I'm frustrated.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #509
SYL
Send... More... Paramedics

SYL has no status.

Send a message via MSN to SYL

So, umm... anyone out there able to show me how to play Ordinary World by DURAN DURAN? I suck at reading tabs.

"Someone once told me time is a flat circle. Everything we've ever done or will do we're gonna do over and over and over again."

- Rustin Cohle
SYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #510
messiahofevil
Rotting Corpse

messiahofevil has no status.

Quote:
does anyone have ANY experience with these PC recording devices? I only have experience with very straightforward 4-track types.

I can't get that infernal toneport to do shit. I had to DL three different programs, and none of them seem to do jack shit. the main interface won't even recognize my fucking USB port.

so I'm looking at other free programs out there that are EASY to use for a newb who isn't a world apart computer savvy. what do you want, I spent my teen years playing guitar opposed to learning the intricacies of a PC and it's programs, etc...

I tried audacity, but it won't let me for some reason. I'm frustrated.

you should record with audacity, it is pretty easy to use.

messiahofevil is offline   Reply With Quote