The SHUTTER - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Foreign Horror

Foreign Horror Discussion for horror films from non US markets

Old 07-18-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
xerophytes
Not Dead Yet

xerophytes has no status.

Send a message via Yahoo to xerophytes
Default The SHUTTER

anyone?
xerophytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:26 AM   #2
Don John
I Eat Brains!

Don John is was happy to realize that if he committed genocide there would be no one left to arrest him.

Default Re: The SHUTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerophytes
anyone?
A bit more than that might be helpful. I have heard of the film, but it's been so long since I've heard anything I've forgotten what I thought. This is my whole opinion.

Thanks to brain dead for cleaning up my Boll Dogs logo.
My DVD's
Don John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:38 AM   #3
xerophytes
Not Dead Yet

A young photographer Thun and his girlfriend Jane discover mysterious shadows in their photographs after fleeing the sceen of an accident. As they investigate the phenomenon, they find other photographs contain similar supernatural images, that Thun's best friends are being haunted as well, and Jane discovers that her boyfriend has not told her everything. It soon becomes clear that you can not escape your past.
xerophytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
damien
Fresh Kill

damien has no status.

region one?
damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:26 PM   #5
mr_stroppy
Fresh Kill

mr_stroppy has no status.

Here's my review I wrote for another site:

If you don't count The Eye (as it was joint-funded), I can count the number of decent Thai horror flicks on the fingers of no hands. But the local film industry is clearly one hurtling into a boom period, courtesy of the likes of Ong Bak and now, perhaps working on the theory that you crush enough shit you get a diamond, comes Shutter, an honest-to-goodness quality Thai horror movie. What next? A great German comedy?

No, I don't think so, either.

Jane loved Tun, but his oral sex technique left a bit to be desired

Shutter opens with young photographer Tun and his girlfriend Jane driving home one night and before you can say, "Don't let a woman drive, didn't Thelma & Louise teach you anything?" they've run smack bang into some chick wandering into the road. One somersault with an inward pike later, and she's lying facedown on the tarmac as lifeless as Madonna's acting career.

Not only did the goth chick avoid the sun, but she always pushed in during class photos

The couple flee the scene, but start to regret their decision when every photo Tun starts to take comes back from the photo lab with mysterious white marks on them. And not just on his intimate bedroom shots this time. Then the marks start looking like an oddly familiar woman. She pops up in every shot like those annoying kids who wave behind any sportsman being interviewed on TV. You half-expect to see her ghostly visage holding up a sign saying, 'HI KEV & DEB IN TAIHAPE!'.

Tun and Jane are naturally terrified, because the girl appears all pale, expressionless and wide-eyed. Which seems pretty much exactly like anyone's passport photo. Nevertheless, things quickly get worse when Tun's friends start committing suicide, one by one...

Jane tried to respect Tun's beliefs - but the daily prayer to Frank, the God of Kitchen Tile was a bit much

On first look, Shutter looks like a bog-standard Asian horror flick with a long haired ghost who lurks in the corners of the frame until it is her time for a SUDDEN FUCKING CLOSE UP WITH LOUD NOISE ACCOMPANIMENT. And to be fair, it does hammer this cliche a fair bit - possibly setting some kind of record for jump scenes with its very JuOn-esque villainess.

Attendance was much better than expected at the Billy Ray Cyrus comeback gig

But the big strength is a well-written script. The plot unfurls at a nice pace, shifting focus steadily on the audience. If the characters are undercooked, that is scant criticism against such a nicely drawn story that still leaves plenty of room for scares - there's no derailing of the horror aspects as in films like The Eye. It may not be a classic in the league of Kairo or A Tale of Two Sisters, but just as Asian horror seemed to have died off in the past two years, Thailand comes to the party with a little gem of a movie. Check it out. Go on, now. I said now, you lazy fuck.

Oh, suit yourself.
mr_stroppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:14 AM   #6
xerophytes
Not Dead Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien
region one?
what do you mean?

-----

I have this question after watching the movie twice in Cinema (1st, I was alone, 2nd, I was with my brother and cousins).

What is the connection of the grasshopper in the story?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:23 AM   #7
GrimCalavera
Fresh Kill

GrimCalavera has no status.

Send a message via MSN to GrimCalavera

I couldn't tell you. I can say that the grasshopper didn't scare me. Or anything else in the film, for that matter.
GrimCalavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:42 AM   #8
mr_stroppy
Fresh Kill

mr_stroppy has no status.

I don't even remember a grasshopper...
mr_stroppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:57 AM   #9
xerophytes
Not Dead Yet

GrimCalavera - it should not scare you because in the first place, it is not meant to scare you!

mr_stroppy - grasshoper.. or a praying mantis? or a locust? I forgot! The insect shown in TV and while the couple were driving, the camera focused on the insect. I am just curious with it.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:01 AM   #10
AnneGwish
Rotting Corpse

AnneGwish is right on.

Send a message via AIM to AnneGwish Send a message via MSN to AnneGwish

Good review, stroppy. I certainly agree. It was much better than Six or The Sisters. Talk about a couple of stinkers.

The Obligatory DVD List - I'm not a trader. Just a show-off.

"The three most terrifying things in the world are werewolves, clowns and unplanned pregnancy."
AnneGwish is offline   Reply With Quote