Why has the rate of release for 1980s slasher franchises slowed? - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Old 10-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
‹bermensch
Fresh Kill

‹bermensch has no status.

Default Why has the rate of release for 1980s slasher franchises slowed?

Nine Friday the 13th films were released in the thirteen years between 1980 and 1993, with an average budget of three million dollars and an average box office intake of fifteen million. Six Nightmare on Elm Street movies were released between 1984 and 1991, with an average budget of nine million and an average gross of twenty five million. Since then, three Nightmare movies have been released in twenty-two years and three Friday films in twenty years. But all of these releases far exceeded their predecessors in their net grosses, though the inflation-adjusted budgets were also of course higher.

There seems to me no reason that either of these franchises couldn't return to the work-rate of the 1980s. The interest obviously exists to sustain either of them, considering that the most recent entries are the highest grossing in either of them even when adjusted for inflation. And the same goes for the other big 1980s franchises, Halloween and Hellraiser.

Horror is obviously alive and kicking at the cinema, even if the quality of the genre is at a low ebb. Why have studios been so shy about using 1980s properties? If the studios are worried about higher budgets versus lower profits, they should be assuaged by looking at the real reasons for the financial success of the old films: incredibly low budgets and modest box office expectations. Not every slasher film needs the budget of even a mainstream drama.
And the dreams begin...

Last edited by ‹bermensch; 10-27-2013 at 05:02 PM.
‹bermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Midnight-Kroovy
The Living Dead

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

I've wondered this and I think one explanation is that although profitable more money is to be made elsewhere. For a $15,000 budget Paranormal Activity made $107 million. With a budget of $1 million Saw made over $100 million, those proved far more profitable and haven't been short of sequels.

Sequels to the reboots would make money so I am kinda surprised there hasn't been more but I think the incentive is stronger with new franchises.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting

Because they're not in demand. All three of the major slasher franchises need a rest, especially F13th & NOES considering how much Jason & Freddy were whored out. The same applies to most of the other classic/iconic characters as well. Right now horror is going through a change where more paranormal based movies are the draw of the crowd, & I think that's perfectly fine.

And I do agree that the budgets need to be cut down significantly. A slasher doesn't even need to be over $10 million.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
‹bermensch
Fresh Kill

‹bermensch has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myerszilla View Post
Because they're not in demand. All three of the major slasher franchises need a rest, especially F13th & NOES considering how much Jason & Freddy were whored out.
They're in demand enough that the recent releases in the Friday franchise (Freddy vs. Jason and the Friday remake) are the highest-grossing entries in that franchise even when adjusting for inflation. The Friday series, at least, has legs.

Quote:
Right now horror is going through a change where more paranormal based movies are the draw of the crowd, & I think that's perfectly fine.
That's been going on since at least 2009. How long should a studio expect this trend to last?
And the dreams begin...
‹bermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs

Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.

Send a message via MSN to Oxley

There isn't as big a market for them these days. Films are generally more expensive to make too.

That's all there is to it I suppose.

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ‹bermensch View Post
They're in demand enough that the recent releases in the Friday franchise (Freddy vs. Jason and the Friday remake) are the highest-grossing entries in that franchise even when adjusting for inflation. The Friday series, at least, has legs.
FvJ was the peak for both franchises in terms of money. The reboot did fairly well, but considering how badly it dropped in numbers the very next weekend, that's a bad sign. Same for the NOES remake. It cost $35 million & only made $63 million domestically...not even a full $70 million to balance out the budget costs, not to mention the money lost from the marketing campaign. Freddy vs. Jason cost $30 million (five million less) & made $82 million domestically.

Both franchises may have legs, but that doesn't mean they're in demand right now. How many people inside of a general audience do you hear clamoring for another movie these days? Not many. The only ones who have truly done so are us fans and when compared to the general audience, we're a smaller lot than you may think.

Quote:
That's been going on since at least 2009. How long should a studio expect this trend to last?
That can be asked with any trend. The paranormal/ghostly trend may not last forever, but it's what's making money right now, so that's what studios will be most likely to go with in terms of their horror cash cows.

With the way things are going, I wouldn't seriously expect another addition to these franchises until closer to or after 2020.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Midnight-Kroovy
The Living Dead

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ‹bermensch View Post
You have underestimated inflation. The original Friday 13th made the equivalent of $150 million today (domestic) and on a tiny budget. The budget and marketing of the remakes are huge in comparison so profit is less.

Producers want small budget films that make huge profit, that is with Paranormal Activity, Saw etc.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Sad thing is, that same effect can be achieved with the older established franchises. Studio heads are just too stupid to realize it.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
VictorCrowley
Fresh Kill

VictorCrowley is choppin' some meat in the swamp.

I agree with the consensus that there isn't as big a market for the old 80's guys these days, or for the typical slasher flick. It's kind of like the old Universal monsters from the 30's and 40's. Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman. They RULED their day, but audiences grew numb to them and eventually stopped taking them seriously and just found them funny. Jason, Freddy, Myers, etc.....they're all in that boat now. We still respect them which is why the studios still give us a movie now and then, as they know there will always be some kind of return for them. But, they know it wouldn't be profitable for them to try to bring these characters back to the forefront and invest modern money in trying to get them back in the mainstream.

That said, I wish they'd do it anyway. I'm ready for more from all of them. I'm especially jonesing for an old school throwback Friday the 13th movie, shot in full 80's lore with the camp, the dark sets, practical effects, the whole nine. Doubt it will ever happen, but a man can dream.
VictorCrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
zaibi99
Not Dead Yet

zaibi99 has no status.

I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well.

Last edited by zaibi99; 01-25-2014 at 12:05 AM.
zaibi99 is offline   Reply With Quote