The Invisible Man (1933) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet


Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Classic Horror

Classic Horror From earliest Horror Classics - 1950's.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
depecheanix
It... Won't... Die...
 
depecheanix's Avatar
depecheanix is fgsdoi dsn dsnfm ods
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,692
Default The Invisible Man (1933)

The Invisible Man (1933)



I'm not the biggest universal horror fan but I really enjoyed this film, more so than the others I have seen so far. The only thing that holds me back from giving this 10/10 is the incredibly annoying Una O'Connor. I'd love to see a real remake of this film at some point. Also the effects were brilliant for the time.

depecheanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
superfry
Big Poppa
 
superfry's Avatar
superfry is wanting a monkey to avenge his death!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 'Nam Land! 'Nam Land!
Posts: 14,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by depecheanix View Post
I'd love to see a real remake of this film at some point.


Great film though.

So are you going through a James Whale phase now?

Enjoy this clip of SON OF THE INVISIBLE MAN from the film AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON:

Last edited by superfry; 12-20-2007 at 12:03 PM.
superfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
depecheanix
It... Won't... Die...
 
depecheanix's Avatar
depecheanix is fgsdoi dsn dsnfm ods
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfry View Post


Great film though.

So are you going through a James Whale phase now?
I somehow knew you'd be the first to respond.

He's ok, out of his films this is my favorite so far. I have to do an essay on Universal horror and need to pick 2 films to compare. I'll probably go with this and Frankenstein. Though I still don't understand the big fuss over Bride of Frankenstein.

Come on! A remake of this film could be great if someone competent enough got hold of it.
depecheanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
superfry
Big Poppa
 
superfry's Avatar
superfry is wanting a monkey to avenge his death!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 'Nam Land! 'Nam Land!
Posts: 14,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by depecheanix View Post
I somehow knew you'd be the first to respond.

He's ok, out of his films this is my favorite so far. I have to do an essay on Universal horror and need to pick 2 films to compare. I'll probably go with this and Frankenstein. Though I still don't understand the big fuss over Bride of Frankenstein.
I would suggest comparing one from the early 30s to one from the mid 40s (say, FRANKENSTEIN to SON OF... or GHOST OF...).

There's all kinds of comparisons: directorial styles, censorship issues, pre-war sensibilities to war time, changing attitudes (the 30's films were considered for adults, the 40s- made with kids in mind), etc.


Quote:
Come on! A remake of this film could be great if someone competent enough got hold of it.
Aye. There's the rub.

Check out the clip that I edited into my previous post.

Best remake of it there'll ever be!
superfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
depecheanix
It... Won't... Die...
 
depecheanix's Avatar
depecheanix is fgsdoi dsn dsnfm ods
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfry View Post
I would suggest comparing one from the early 30s to one from the mid 40s (say, FRANKENSTEIN to SON OF... or GHOST OF...).

There's all kinds of comparisons: directorial styles, censorship issues, pre-war sensibilities to war time, changing attitudes (the 30's films were considered for adults, the 40s- made with kids in mind), etc.




Aye. There's the rub.

Check out the clip that I edited into my previous post.

Best remake of it there'll ever be!
I chose those two because I have to pick similarities between them, not a comparison as in picking differences.

As for thoughts of a remake, unfortunately I don't think there are any modern horror directors out there who could pull it off.... which is a shame.

Yeah I saw that clip before, funny stuff. How is that film? Worth checking out?
__________________
depecheanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
superfry
Big Poppa
 
superfry's Avatar
superfry is wanting a monkey to avenge his death!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 'Nam Land! 'Nam Land!
Posts: 14,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by depecheanix View Post
I chose those two because I have to pick similarities between them, not a comparison as in picking differences.
Ohhhhhhhh....

Quote:
As for thoughts of a remake, unfortunately I don't think there are any modern horror directors out there who could pull it off.... which is a shame.
Dante or Landis could do it justice, I think.

Quote:
Yeah I saw that clip before, funny stuff. How is that film? Worth checking out?
Definitely. HIGHLY recommended.

Some of it is a bit dated (the 80s, y'know), but the best bits still hold up.

Make sure you watch through the credits!
superfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
depecheanix
It... Won't... Die...
 
depecheanix's Avatar
depecheanix is fgsdoi dsn dsnfm ods
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfry View Post


Dante or Landis could do it justice, I think.
True. Does Dante still direct?
__________________
depecheanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
ZantiMisfit
Rotting Corpse
 
ZantiMisfit's Avatar
ZantiMisfit is never going to see the Eagles win a Super Bowl in his lifetime
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The frozen wastelands of Wisconsin
Posts: 1,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by depecheanix View Post
I'd love to see a real remake of this film at some point.
What, "The Hollow Man" not good enough for you!

Actually, the BBC did quite a good job at a "real" remake in the 1980's (done about the same time, and on a quality par with their "Day of the Triffids"). Unfortunately it's never been released in R1 DVD (I have the British R2 release). Like Triffids, it's 6 30 minute episodes, so it really puts a bit of meat on the story. imdb link here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087478/

Though it's a testament to Whale's version that after 50 years the SFX in the original were probably still better. And there's no topping Claude Raines as the lead.
ZantiMisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
superfry
Big Poppa
 
superfry's Avatar
superfry is wanting a monkey to avenge his death!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 'Nam Land! 'Nam Land!
Posts: 14,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by depecheanix View Post
True. Does Dante still direct?
He's been doing TV lately, like CSI and some other stuff.

And I totally dug both of his MASTERS OF HORROR episodes.

He's got a segment I think in the upcoming anthology TRAPPED ASHES.

I don't know if he's done any other theatrical films since SMALL SOLDIERS.

Maybe he did a LOONEY TUNES movie or something like that since?

I should look him up. I've always liked the guy.
superfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
depecheanix
It... Won't... Die...
 
depecheanix's Avatar
depecheanix is fgsdoi dsn dsnfm ods
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,692
Default

Yeah I've always liked him, he's a really smart guy too. I absolutely hated his short 'Homecoming' though.

I'll probably check out that BBC series. As for Hollowman, I was really surprised to see that even though The Invisible Man is a much shorter movie it deals with so much more of the problems that would arise if you were invisible. Hollow Man was just yet another slasher unfortunatly.

Imdb has a remake slated for 2010. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051906/
__________________
depecheanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-Present BLOODY-DISGUSTING LLC