HELLRAISER: DEADER/HELLWORLD...Official Review thread - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Old 06-02-2005, 02:37 AM   #1
The_Thing
The Living Dead

The_Thing has no status.

Default HELLRAISER: DEADER/HELLWORLD...Official Review thread

UPDATE: Updated the thread to cover Hellworld too
The_Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:26 AM   #2
The_Thing
The Living Dead

The_Thing has no status.

Ok never got round to watching it, I'll watch it tonight and post my review Monday.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:52 AM   #3
Misanthropeinaction
Fresh Kill

Misanthropeinaction has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Misanthropeinaction

Yeah...not that good. I'd say its only slightly better than Inferno....which I really didn't like.

Deader just seems to go no where.... literally. Now this is a franchise where the original films set a very specific standard for atmosphere and tone and imagery. This one falls short of the mark...by a lot. It just seems really stupid to me to resurrect a franchise when your not even going to try to out do originals..but thats the way the industry works I guess.
Misanthropeinaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:42 AM   #4
The_Thing
The Living Dead

The_Thing has no status.

In the past I've defended 'Inferno' and 'Hellseeker', not because I thought they were great movies, but for what they were I got some enjoyment from them. They didn't take the mythology any further, but as a day in the life of Pinhead, a little slice of life for the cenobites I thought they were ok.

But much as I love the Hellraiser mythology there comes a point where I can't defend it any more, and that point is Deader.

Things start out promising enough. An investigative journalist is given an assignment by her boss to investigate a cult called 'The Deaders' after viewing a shocking video that suggests their leader has the ability to ressurect the dead. Her investigation gets more bizarre as she gets closer and more involved with the cult.

As far as details go that's the best I can give you. Considering I only watched this movie two days ago I can barely remember a thing about it, which is a testament to how much of a muddled and un-involving mess the movie is. It totally fails to grip you on any level.

The one thing I will say is that I thought Pinhead's extremely short screentime was marginally better and a little more effective than in the last couple of movies, but he still comes nowhere near close to the majesty he had in the original movies. And poor old Doug Bradleys extra weight just makes Pinhead's head look like a golfball with pins stuck in it. Maybe it's time he hung up his hooks.

There's a line near the end of the movie that I won't give away, but it's a feeble and forced attempt to tie this movie into the whole fabric of the Hellraiser series.

So it's with much dissapointment that I have to say this movie is a complete dud. I'll still get Hellworld when it comes out, but that's more to do with me being a completist than actually looking forward to it.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
amicus
BANNED

amicus has no status.

..i knew it would suck just like 5 and 6.
amicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
HinzmanZombie
Not Dead Yet

HinzmanZombie has no status.

poor pinhead. hes trapped in a terrible hell...the DTV hell. sad really.
HinzmanZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #7
worstepisodeever
Not Dead Yet

worstepisodeever has no status.

oh man, this sounds great!! cant wait to watch when i get home!!

"no never, never."
worstepisodeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #8
kiddcapone
BANNED

kiddcapone has no status.

For whatever reason, Best Buy had Hellraiser: Deader out for sale on Saturday. I picked it up, thought about buying it, they noticed it was $25.99. For 10 bucks, I would have bought it, for 26, no way. I knew it was going to suck.

If people actually think that mega-turd Inferno is better or close to this new one, I might never watch it at all.
kiddcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:04 PM   #9
ScarecrowX
Fresh Kill

ScarecrowX is beyond the limits

Send a message via MSN to ScarecrowX

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hellraiser: Deader.

A long time coming, the sixth sequel in the Hellraiser series not only surpasses the previous entry but also offers up the strongest film in the franchise since Hellbound: Hellraiser II in 1988. Where the previous films have either focused on one characters journey through Hell or taken the slasher route of Pinheads quest for world domination Deader goes back to the original films and presents us with the story that features the Cenobites as a key plot element without actually being about them.

Amy Klein is the hero of the story as she is instantly likeable, she may seem some what edgy but she is very easy to identify with and determined nature and very real reactions to the events she finds herself involved in allow us to easily sympathise her. Her journey is a hard one and the slow reveal of her history is interesting and helps us understand how she has developed into the women she is; her character does change during the story and by the time the film comes to its dramatic conclusion you canít help but feel for her plight.

Winter makes an excellent villain following on from Frank and Channard, heís both charming and also edgy allowing us to be scared of him whilst understanding the power he holds over the Deader cult. His motives and history are very interesting and help to fix the story securely in the Hellraiser mythos and brings up a vital point thatís often be forgotten; not everyone is able to open the box however much they might want to.

This brings me to the touches made to the past, with old lines reappearing and dialogue taken straight from The Hellbound Heart, this film truly seems to understand the original concept far more than any sequel after the first. The grand finale where the Cenobites are seen in force is a fans dream and the chaining of the misguided Winter is by far the best the series has offered since Frank and the production team should feel proud for pulling it off so well.

In the end, the story runs along at a good pace with nowhere near as many strange surrealist elements as the last two films; this is firmly grounded in reality with only a quarter of the film taken up with a false reality which is clearly explained and makes sense for the characters journey and Winters plan. All in all, if this is the standard of Hellraiser now, the fans have nothing to worry about and if the writers can take what worked form this for future sequels then there are good times ahead. 9 / 10.

www.cenobite.com/forum/

- Scarecrow

featuring "Hellbound Chronicles": Hellraiser Fan Comics
ScarecrowX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:43 PM   #10
worstepisodeever
Not Dead Yet

worstepisodeever has no status.

haha, damn.....well, i liked it.....but i wouldnt go THAT far!!

"no never, never."
worstepisodeever is offline   Reply With Quote