Ultimate Friday the 13th Thread - Page 844 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #8431
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Willowfang is half Thundercat on his childhood's side

Just to remind people, it's not enough for a movie to make more than it cost to make, it needs to make around 3 times as much is there's to be a sequel. In part, there's the cost of advertising. But also, no one want's to invest in one project that ("they're sure") isn't gonna make 3x as much when they can invest in a different project.

There's always direct to video, but, just my guess) with F13, the studio would rather wait and try again later on the big screen then go DTV and prolly never go back to the big screen. I suppose it's not impossible to go from video back to the big screen, prolly happen eventually, but the decision I'm sure will be a bit nerve wracking when/if ever someone makes it.
Willowfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #8432
Se7en Sins
I Eat Brains!

Se7en Sins is Moonwalkin' with steel toed boots on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowfang View Post
Just to remind people, it's not enough for a movie to make more than it cost to make, it needs to make around 3 times as much is there's to be a sequel. In part, there's the cost of advertising. But also, no one want's to invest in one project that ("they're sure") isn't gonna make 3x as much when they can invest in a different project.

There's always direct to video, but, just my guess) with F13, the studio would rather wait and try again later on the big screen then go DTV and prolly never go back to the big screen. I suppose it's not impossible to go from video back to the big screen, prolly happen eventually, but the decision I'm sure will be a bit nerve wracking when/if ever someone makes it.
Yeah, Friday the 13th is definitely a bankable brand, if not now probably sometime in the near future.

Wouldn't be too far fetched to say the next film will be a reboot, right?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #8433
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Yeah, or wait "long" enough and you continue with a sequel but ignore a lot of what just happened Like with Hulk 2 or Highlander 3
Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #8434
Godzilla
aka Boobzilla

Godzilla is deep in the Canyon

I don't see why they would have to wait if they have any intention on doing a loose sequel, or soft reboot if that's the approach they want to go with. I think alot can be forgiven if the film strays a bit from what was established with the 2009 film if it's actually something that's satisfactory.
Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #8435
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

While that's "true", I think, in part because I'm never seen it done so soon before, aside from parts being filmed back to back like LOTR or something, is that they just wait for the "smoke" to clear, or let the bad taste in people's mouth a chance to be lessened or forgotten.

So while they don't HAVE to wait, I think they always will.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #8436
Godzilla
aka Boobzilla

Godzilla is deep in the Canyon

The obvious lack of enthusiasm with continuing the series has alot to do with the wait as well. Which may be warranted depending on one's viewpoint with the 2009 film, but 'not being too keen on another' is definately what the studios are asserting with the lack of any development.
Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #8437
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting

I think they're still taking into account the reboot's huge second weekend drop. It set a record for biggest horror movie opening ever (which it still holds) by raking in over $43 million, but if I'm not mistaken it also broke a record for biggest second week drops, by dropping 67% in attendance.

Truthfully, that isn't a totally bad sign, considering they made back every penny in just three days. The budget was $19 million, & assuming the promotion/marketing costs ran the same, they spent about $38 million on the movie, & made it all back in the first weekend.

Now, personally, if you really look at the business side of things, it says a lot that it's been able to keep that record for four years. Everyone came out the woodwork to see Jason in action again. Plus it was Valentine's Day weekend, which also helped tremendously.

I don't think the second week drop was necessarily a showcase of how "bad" the film was so much as it just showed that everyone who wanted to see it got out there the first weekend. I'm pretty sure a sequel would do about the same numbers, considering there likely won't ever be a horror slasher as popular as Jason.

But, at the same token, it may be a good thing that they didn't jump right into the sequel. Gives audiences a breather from Jason again, which can help build anticipation. I suspect that if we don't get word on a sequel sometime this year or by 2014 that we'll likely be treated to another reboot, which isn't all bad, but does suck that it'd pretty much exclude Derek Mears from being Jason again.

All in all, I just want another good F13th movie. The reboot is the best we've gotten in a long, long time, & I'd like for them to get people attached to the project that are going to want to make a great movie and not just think "F13th = huge profit already so let's throw some shit together." I don't think anyone wants another Jason Takes Manhattan or Jason Goes to Hell.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #8438
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Well, how I'd view that big opening and drop is that there was a lot of buzz, who doesn't want to see what the legacy can spawn for a remake, now while it wasn't horrible like say the NOES remake, it didn't produce any word of mouth to keep it's numbers up from the second week on.

And then if that's how the studio sees it, they won't be rubbing their hands together expecting everyone who bought a ticket for the remake to be lining up to buy a ticket the second time.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #8439
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting

I'm not necessarily saying they will, but it is a testament to Jason's legacy & how well known the character is. Word of mouth wasn't great, but I remember everyone I know being satisfied with it after seeing it in theaters, & being on different boards at the time, it was pretty mixed. Some loved it, some hated it, & there were some who were in between.

Simply put, they'll have to go the extra distance if they want the next one to be a bigger success. The reboot is great because it perfectly combines elements of the originals while being a modern take, but the next film needs to push boundaries, do something new with the characters.

Can't make it off the exact same "stalk 'n slash" plot, especially when it's been done a billion times over the last three decades.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #8440
Santa
The Necromancer

Santa is stronger than the foundations of the earth

Today Mondo has released this fine screenprint:

Already sold out and of course, I couldn't grab one.

Santa is offline   Reply With Quote