Horror of Dracula (1958) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Classic Horror

Classic Horror From earliest Horror Classics - 1950's.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
mrbishop77
The Living Dead

mrbishop77 is slumming

Default Horror of Dracula (1958)

I looked and didn't see a thread on this film so I thought what the hell.

I have never been a huge Hammer fan, mostly because the ones I have seen have been terrible movies (Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, Curse of the Werewolf). However, I decided to finally give this one a chance and I am very glad I did.

Plot:
From amazon.com

Jonathan Harker a student of vampires ventures to Dracula's castle and attacks him. The revengeful vampire leaves his dark abode to prey on the family of his attacker's fiancee. The only man able to protect Harker and his fiancee is Dr. Van Helsing a friend of Harker's. As a fellow-student of vampires he's determined to destroy Dracula

After seeing this amazingly great film (I hereby lift my Hammer shun) I am very anxious to see more films they may have made that were of this caliber. Use this thread to discuss not only this film but more in the Hammer Dracula series.

Anxious to hear thoughts and recommendations.
The Ultimate BD Quote Thread
mrbishop77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
NRA4Ever
The Living Dead

NRA4Ever is lurking.

This movie is awesome. Lee and Cushing turn in fantastic performances. I really think Lee is probably the best Dracula I've ever seen. If you liked this, try Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, Curse of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, and Taste the Blood of Dracula. Also, while I haven't seen it, The Devil Rides Out is often considered one of the best Hammer films. I really should get on that one.

Woops, I didn't read you wrote Dracula series. Well, check out the others as well.

Last edited by NRA4Ever; 08-30-2008 at 08:30 PM.
NRA4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
hammer_fangirl
Fresh Kill

hammer_fangirl has no status.

These are the best in the Dracula series, in my opinion:

Dracula: Prince Of Darkness- Directed by Fisher and just as good as Horror Of Dracula in my honest opinion. The acting is really great and the final 'death' scene is really original.

Dracula Has Risen From The Grave- Directed by Freddie Francis and it is a very visual film. Meaning that he used special filters on the cameras so that the movie has a special feel to it.

Taste The Blood Of Dracula- My personal favorite. The storyline is really cool and watching Ralph Bates act is always a good time. Great sets and screenplay. It's a morality tale that happens to have Dracula in it.

Dracula AD 1972- This one is really cheesey but cool at the same time. You have a satanic ceremony and then bad things happen. Caroline Munro covered in blood......

Avoid Scars Of Dracula and Satanic Rites Of Dracula. I like both of them but they are the lesser films of the series.

Also, there is The Brides Of Dracula, which was supposed to be the second film in the series but Lee bowed out. Instead a vampire who isn't Dracula causes trouble. However it has Peter Cushing so it's a really good film.

Besides the Dracula series I would recommend the following vampire Hammer films:

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
Lust For A vampire
The Vampire Lovers
Kiss Of The Vampire

Vampire Circus and Twins Of Evil aren't out on region 1 so all of us US citizens are out of luck when it comes to those two.

Read my review of Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
http://www.filmsthatwitnessmadness.com/misc/misc9.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzorsharp View Post
You are nothing more than a disgruntled liberal,kool-aid drinking bumper sticker voter.
My DVD Collection: http://hammer-fangirl.dvdaf.com/owned
hammer_fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
hammer_fangirl
Fresh Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA4Ever View Post
This movie is awesome. Lee and Cushing turn in fantastic performances. I really think Lee is probably the best Dracula I've ever seen. If you liked this, try Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, Curse of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, and Taste the Blood of Dracula. Also, while I haven't seen it, The Devil Rides Out is often considered one of the best Hammer films. I really should get on that one.
The Devil Rides Out is a really cool film. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed is one of the best Hammer movies I feel, because Cushing gave such a great performance in it. Seeing him play a truly evil character is a great thing to see.

Other Hammer films I would recommend:

Captain Clegg
The Mummy
Countess Dracula
Frankenstein Created Woman
The Hound Of The Baskervilles
Plague Of The Zombies
The Gorgon
Dr. Jekyll And Sister Hyde
The Revenge Of Frankenstein

There's more but I'm tired.

Quote:
You are nothing more than a disgruntled liberal,kool-aid drinking bumper sticker voter.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
mrbishop77
The Living Dead

mrbishop77 is slumming

I have seen Bride, and FnMH and didn't really think much of either. Plague of the Zombies wasn't bad. My beef is that sometimes Hammer gets to talky for it's own good and completely botches up the build in plot with these overtly talky scenes and horrible make up effects that take me completely out of the picture (FMBD and Curse of the Werewolf are shining examples of this).

Horror of Dracula, however never had any of these problems. The story, in fact, is what I loved about it. The different take and how it all built up was great. It didn't even make me think about the fact I barely saw Lee in the film at all and his scenes seemed to have some weight to them.

Prince of Darkness looks good and I am also eyeballing up AD 1972 because of the cheese factor.

Last edited by mrbishop77; 09-01-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
depecheanix
It... Won't... Die...

depecheanix is fgsdoi dsn dsnfm ods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbishop77 View Post
Horror of Dracula, however never had any of these problems. The story, in fact, is what I loved about it. The different take and how it all built up was great. It didn't even make me think about the fact I barely saw Lee in the film at all and his scenes seemed to have some weight to them.
The Curse of Frankenstein does exactly the same with its retelling too. I really like Lee's makeup in that film.
depecheanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
mrbishop77
The Living Dead

mrbishop77 is slumming

Awesome! I just put in an order for a disc with Curse of Frankenstein and Taste the Blood of Dracula together. While I haven't heard very good things about Taste, why not get it if it comes with Curse? I love used DVD's on Amazon. Have yet to be burnt there.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
monwobobbo
Fresh Kill

monwobobbo has no status.

HORROR OF DRACULA is one of my top 5 fav movies period. lee and cushing are both great. everybody forgot the last film in the dracula series, LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES. its a co-production with Shaw Bros. (legendary hong kong kung fu studio). very fun film with peter cushing as van helsing, no lee but dracula is in the movie as well (changes into an asian looking vampire at beginning). personally i recommend all of the Hammer vampire films. yeah Hammer can get kind of talky at times but they are always atmoshperic and have hot woman as well. the gore was great for the time as well.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
superfry
Big Poppa

superfry is wanting a monkey to avenge his death!

I love the entire Hammer Dracula series, but my favorite would have to be DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE.
superfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
hammer_fangirl
Fresh Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfry View Post
I love the entire Hammer Dracula series, but my favorite would have to be DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE.
That's a good one. I love the way Freddie Francis used colored filters in it. That film has a very different look to it.

Quote: