Horror of Dracula (1958) - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet


Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Classic Horror

Classic Horror From earliest Horror Classics - 1950's.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 05:43 PM   #21
superfry
Big Poppa
 
superfry's Avatar
superfry is wanting a monkey to avenge his death!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 'Nam Land! 'Nam Land!
Posts: 14,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer_fangirl View Post
Have you ever tried to watch all of the Frankenstein movies in a row? I did it once. I am going to do another Hammer marathon soon and I am trying to figure out what to watch next.

Frankenstein Must Be destroyed is pretty badass. I have read that Peter Cushing felt so bad about having to rape Veronica Carlson that he got the scene to be shortened. His peformance in it reminds me of when Henry Fonda played Frank in Once Upon A Time In The West.
I've never gone through 'em straight through, marathon style, I'll usually watch 'em over the course of a few nights.

Unfortunately, all my Hammer FRANKs are on tape and all my vhss are in a box in the closet, so I haven't seen 'em in awhile,

The FRANKs are next on my list to upgrade though!

Then I'll have to hit the QUATERMASS flicks-Or at least just Q & THE PIT to tie me over.

Yeah, I've got an old Fangoria with a Carlson interview where she talks about that scene. As you said, somethings benefit from being from being left to the imagination.

Something most of the current crop of dipshit, so-called 'horror fans' will probably never understand.
superfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:54 PM   #22
hammer_fangirl
Fresh Kill
 
hammer_fangirl's Avatar
hammer_fangirl has no status.
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dracula's castle
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfry View Post
I've never gone through 'em straight through, marathon style, I'll usually watch 'em over the course of a few nights.

Unfortunately, all my Hammer FRANKs are on tape and all my vhss are in a box in the closet, so I haven't seen 'em in awhile,

The FRANKs are next on my list to upgrade though!

Then I'll have to hit the QUATERMASS flicks-Or at least just Q & THE PIT to tie me over.

Yeah, I've got an old Fangoria with a Carlson interview where she talks about that scene. As you said, somethings benefit from being from being left to the imagination.

Something most of the current crop of dipshit, so-called 'horror fans' will probably never understand.
Lucky bastard, I don't have any of the Quartermass films. I thought that there would be time to get them on DVD but then they went out of print. I am probably going to have to wait until they either re-release them on DVD or just wait for Blu-ray. I am pretty sure I own all of the rest of the Hammer region 1 editions though, or I'm pretty close.

I think a lot of the younger people on horror boards dismiss Hammer films, and other horror flicks from the same era, because they don't contain copious amounts of blood or boobies. What they don't realise is that Hammer was very contrversal during their time because they put out some of the first movies to feature technicolor blood AND they showed boobies....Ingrid Pitt boobies.
__________________

Read my review of Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
http://www.filmsthatwitnessmadness.com/misc/misc9.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzorsharp View Post
You are nothing more than a disgruntled liberal,kool-aid drinking bumper sticker voter.
My DVD Collection: http://hammer-fangirl.dvdaf.com/owned
hammer_fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:03 PM   #23
superfry
Big Poppa
 
superfry's Avatar
superfry is wanting a monkey to avenge his death!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 'Nam Land! 'Nam Land!
Posts: 14,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer_fangirl View Post
I think a lot of the younger people on horror boards dismiss Hammer films, and other horror flicks from the same era, because they don't contain copious amounts of blood or boobies. What they don't realise is that Hammer was very contrversal during their time because they put out some of the first movies to feature technicolor blood AND they showed boobies....Ingrid Pitt boobies.
And Madeline Smith boobies!

Yeah, most of the little twits today turn up their noses at things like plot, characterization, atmosphere, real acting from real actors, suspense, etc.

It's all about 'br00tality', 'teh g0rez' and kill counts today.
superfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:09 PM   #24
hammer_fangirl
Fresh Kill
 
hammer_fangirl's Avatar
hammer_fangirl has no status.
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dracula's castle
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfry View Post
And Madeline Smith boobies!

Yeah, most of the little twits today turn up their noses at things like plot, characterization, atmosphere, real acting from real actors, suspense, etc.

It's all about 'br00tality', 'teh g0rez' and kill counts today.
I think that if somebody took the time to make a great gothic horror film these days that it would have an audience because it would be completely different from a lot of the dreck coming out these days. I have actually thought about attempting to write a screenplay along those lines.

Have you seen the new Hammer film on Mayspace called Beyond The Rave? It's not too bad for what it is.
__________________

Read my review of Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
http://www.filmsthatwitnessmadness.com/misc/misc9.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzorsharp View Post
You are nothing more than a disgruntled liberal,kool-aid drinking bumper sticker voter.
My DVD Collection: http://hammer-fangirl.dvdaf.com/owned
hammer_fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:19 PM   #25
superfry
Big Poppa
 
superfry's Avatar
superfry is wanting a monkey to avenge his death!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 'Nam Land! 'Nam Land!
Posts: 14,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer_fangirl View Post
I think that if somebody took the time to make a great gothic horror film these days that it would have an audience because it would be completely different from a lot of the dreck coming out these days. I have actually thought about attempting to write a screenplay along those lines.
I've been hoping for a gothic horro comeback myself.

It would be cool if the WOLFMAN remake turns out good & makes some $.

Maybe that would get things rolling in the right direction.

But unfortunately, until Hollywood pulls it's head from it's ass and realizes there's a market for adult themed horror, we're going to keep getting inundated with more of the lowest common denominator bullshit product that's prevalent today.

Quote:
Have you seen the new Hammer film on Mayspace called Beyond The Rave? It's not too bad for what it is.
No I haven't bothered.

Sad, but Hammer had it's day and is dead now and I don't think I want to give the people trying to capitalize off the name the satisfaction of one more hit.
superfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #26
hammer_fangirl
Fresh Kill
 
hammer_fangirl's Avatar
hammer_fangirl has no status.
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dracula's castle
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfry View Post
I've been hoping for a gothic horro comeback myself.

It would be cool if the WOLFMAN remake turns out good & makes some $.

Maybe that would get things rolling in the right direction.

But unfortunately, until Hollywood pulls it's head from it's ass and realizes there's a market for adult themed horror, we're going to keep getting inundated with more of the lowest common denominator bullshit product that's prevalent today.


No I haven't bothered.

Sad, but Hammer had it's day and is dead now and I don't think I want to give the people trying to capitalize off the name the satisfaction of one more hit.
I'm really torn about the whole new Hammer thing going on. A part of me wants them to do well and another part of me hopes they fail. I went into seeing the new movie thinking that it was going to be total shit, but I ended up liking it.
__________________

Read my review of Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
http://www.filmsthatwitnessmadness.com/misc/misc9.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzorsharp View Post
You are nothing more than a disgruntled liberal,kool-aid drinking bumper sticker voter.
My DVD Collection: http://hammer-fangirl.dvdaf.com/owned
hammer_fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:47 PM   #27
mrbishop77
The Living Dead
 
mrbishop77's Avatar
mrbishop77 is slumming
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sconsin
Posts: 4,455
Default

Maybe I'll have to give Frank must be Destroyed another chance, as it has been a few years since I have seen it. But I think I will be easing my way through this film by film. I really did not like that one at all. Once the monster was on screen I slapped my head and said "your fucking kidding me right?"

I have a few more on the way:

Curse of Frankenstein / Taste the Blood of Dracula
The Satanic Rites of Dracula

I borrowed a box set from a buddy of mine a while back and gave it back after the two films I watched (Brides of Dracula and Curse of the Werewolf) did absolutely nothing for me. I will give them another chance as well.

It is amazing what watching these films on a nice 1080p upconvert DVD player and LCD TV will do to your opinion on their quality. ha ha ha! Horror of Dracula looked fucking great. Can't wait to see more.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazuzujim13 View Post
argueing is a waste of fucking life!
The Ultimate BD Quote Thread
mrbishop77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #28
mrbishop77
The Living Dead
 
mrbishop77's Avatar
mrbishop77 is slumming
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sconsin
Posts: 4,455
Default

Sorry I meant Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell. That movie sucked. I haven't seen Frankenstein must be destroyed. Wooo.....that made me sick thinking about having to watch that piece of shit again!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazuzujim13 View Post
argueing is a waste of fucking life!
The Ultimate BD Quote Thread
mrbishop77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:51 AM   #29
hammer_fangirl
Fresh Kill
 
hammer_fangirl's Avatar
hammer_fangirl has no status.
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dracula's castle
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbishop77 View Post

It is amazing what watching these films on a nice 1080p upconvert DVD player and LCD TV will do to your opinion on their quality. ha ha ha! Horror of Dracula looked fucking great. Can't wait to see more.
I have a plasma and a PS3 and all of the older movies I have look beautiful. It's totally worth the investment.
__________________

Read my review of Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
http://www.filmsthatwitnessmadness.com/misc/misc9.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzorsharp View Post
You are nothing more than a disgruntled liberal,kool-aid drinking bumper sticker voter.
My DVD Collection: http://hammer-fangirl.dvdaf.com/owned
hammer_fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #30
Beamer
Fresh Kill
 
Beamer's Avatar
Beamer is #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Georgetown, Ontario
Posts: 769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer_fangirl View Post
I have a plasma and a PS3 and all of the older movies I have look beautiful. It's totally worth the investment.
I have a plasma too. It definetly helps!!!!!!
but that why I love the classics soo much, they are way better, beaucse y=they look so worn and old!!!

Last edited by Beamer; 09-01-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Beamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-Present BLOODY-DISGUSTING LLC