Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel - Prometheus (2012) - Page 128 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Old 10-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #1271
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombaddict View Post
The fx and set construction alone was enough to keep me glued!

I'm not a super alien nerd or anything, but anyone know (timewise) where this takes place compared to the first alien?
Spoiler Below
It is best estimated that it takes place around 2127.

Keep in mind that the planet in Prometheus is not the same planet as in Alien. I doubt that Prometheus directly has any influence on the happenings of the Alien franchise, but rather it simply takes place in the same universe and the creatures/situations are a result of the same species' actions (The Engineers). The Engineers clearly had a hand in creating the Xenomorph species in Alien (from the same mysterious black goo comes forth vicious creature-weapons whose appearances depend on the host's physiology). The fact that the Deacon alien at the end of Prometheus resembles a Xenomorph reflects the idea that this black goo is some sort of weapon that is a commodity for creating monsters. Fucking brilliant if you ask me.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #1272
Santa
The Necromancer

Santa is stronger than the foundations of the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoxodo View Post
Swear to god, y'all...l just took a shit, and the primary dook was in the popular U-shape of the Space Jockey/Engineer vessel from Prometheus. lt had sort of squeezed out after a couple of other, smaller turds. lt was sort of cheesy looking, with a few nuts and gaping holes. And despite it's prominent shape, it was somehow overshadowed by the shit that had come before it...much like this fucking movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll
I would jizz on you if I were a man. I would jizz on everything if I had a penis for one day. Oh man I bet that feels so good. You guys are so lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonia
I like to skip dessert and get right down to relaxing after a meal with a hot bath and a facial.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #1273
Klown
Administrator

Klown has no status.

If you even remotely liked the film, I highly recommend picking up the 4-Disc version. The documentary is absolutely thorough, leaving no stone unturned. I found it pretty amazing that a good chunk of the film used practical effects. The scope of the film is just amazing, and it's fascinating to see how much time/effort/money goes into making these big films.

Blu-ray / DVD Collection | Horror Etc. Podcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySleepConform View Post
Thank God for Jeff Goldblum
Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #1274
black coffee
It... Won't... Die...

black coffee has no status.

Send a message via MSN to black coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klown View Post
leaving no stone unturned.
Does it justify the stupid actions some of the characters take? (ex. the two nimwits playing with the alien snake).
Old 10-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #1275
Klown
Administrator

Klown has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black coffee View Post
Does it justify the stupid actions some of the characters take? (ex. the two nimwits playing with the alien snake).
In a way. There's a deleted scene of Milburn (the biologist) encountering a snake earlier that is "friendly". This explains why he isn't afraid to approach the one later on.

Blu-ray / DVD Collection | Horror Etc. Podcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySleepConform View Post
Thank God for Jeff Goldblum
Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #1276
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by black coffee View Post
Honestly, the stupid actions of some characters are no more ridiculous than any other movie of this type (or pretty much any type) I've ever seen. They didn't bother me the first time I saw this, kind of bothered me after people pointed them out to me, but now I just don't understand how 1 or 2 stupid actions ruin an entire movie. Some of them are justified because of rather odd editing choices (as Klown just pointed out), but really I don't see how they're such a huge deal. This is sci-fi horror, not a Discovery Channel documentary. If people choose to let those things ruin the entire experience, so be it. I love the movie and it gets better with each viewing.

I'm sure somebody here will say "this is a huge budgeted film from a veteran director! There are no excuses for such travesties!". Well fine. I guess I'll have to live with some people really insisting this movie sucks. You'll never convince me.

edit

Sorry if I come off as hostile. I've been thinking about this a lot and don't think I've mentioned it before. A few people I am friends with (outside of the internet realm) are very insistent that Prometheus is the most shockingly illogical film ever created and there is no reason for it to suck so bad. It's rather annoying. Pretty much makes it impossible to show this movie at a party.

Last edited by The Revelator; 10-11-2012 at 03:23 PM.
The Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #1277
Iggy
Heat Fan Numero Uno!

Iggy is changing his life, one pound at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
edit

Sorry if I come off as hostile. I've been thinking about this a lot and don't think I've mentioned it before. A few people I am friends with (outside of the internet realm) are very insistent that Prometheus is the most shockingly illogical film ever created and there is no reason for it to suck so bad. It's rather annoying. Pretty much makes it impossible to show this movie at a party.
FUCK THEM.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #1278
zombaddict
BANNED

zombaddict is Douglas the Caretaker

Quote:
Honestly, the stupid actions of some characters are no more ridiculous than any other movie of this type (or pretty much any type) I've ever seen. They didn't bother me the first time I saw this, kind of bothered me after people pointed them out to me, but now I just don't understand how 1 or 2 stupid actions ruin an entire movie. Some of them are justified because of rather odd editing choices (as Klown just pointed out), but really I don't see how they're such a huge deal. This is sci-fi horror, not a Discovery Channel documentary. If people choose to let those things ruin the entire experience, so be it. I love the movie and it gets better with each viewing.

I'm sure somebody here will say "this is a huge budgeted film from a veteran director! There are no excuses for such travesties!". Well fine. I guess I'll have to live with some people really insisting this movie sucks. You'll never convince me.

edit

Yeah, I agree. I'm not sure where most hate really comes from concerning this one.

What ever happened to suspension of disbelief regarding film? I'm not saying it was a perfect film either, but it is an amazing spectacle of sci-fi that I haven't really seen in quite some time.

I really wish they would have made it entirely separate from Alien altogether, like it was originally intended to be.
zombaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #1279
black coffee
It... Won't... Die...

black coffee has no status.

Send a message via MSN to black coffee

Quote:
Pretty much makes it impossible to show this movie at a party.
Who the hell shows movies at a party in the first place?

Oh, and It think Prometheus is great. I'm not really bothered with the "snake scene" either...just wanted to know if it's being discussed in the documentary.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #1280
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klown View Post
In a way. There's a deleted scene of Milburn (the biologist) encountering a snake earlier that is "friendly". This explains why he isn't afraid to approach the one later on.
If only that scene was left in the final cut. Sure explains his actions later on in the film. Sounds like there were a few odd editing choices.
Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote