Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel - Prometheus (2012) - Page 136 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #1351
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Voorhees View Post
I don't think it was a different species at all. The whole movie was about how and why we are here. I think what you saw was just a very primitive version of the traditional Alien. I think over time they would eventually evolve and become what we know them to be.
It's either that or the xenos simply vary based off of what host they are grown in.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #1352
zaglewiz
I Eat Brains!

zaglewiz is pretty,pretty....pretty good.

Send a message via AIM to zaglewiz Send a message via Yahoo to zaglewiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
It's either that or the xenos simply vary based off of what host they are grown in.
^This. Remember Alien 3 and the way it came out. Honestly that one was a fucking beast if you ask me.
zaglewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #1353
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowfang View Post
While visually stunning, the science and physics were total crap and made it hard to enjoy.

Main example, the "C" was "so fragile" that the other ship brought it down, but then it's superstructure and own weight didn't cause it to burrow into the ground, or collapse under it's own weight. Instead it rolls and causes one of the most retarted "Whilley Coyote" like deaths I've ever seen.
That is a bit too nit picky. I doubt that scene ruined the entire movie for you.
Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #1354
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Willowfang is half Thundercat on his childhood's side

I hate to be that nitpicky guy, and most know me here, while I can fly off the handle with the best of them and have done so here at least twice I can think of.

The science was really really bad, prolly not many would see it, but given what I know, it was some of the worst science I've ever seen. Seems like I'm blowing it out of preprotion prolly. But you ever seen a movie where they get something so wrong, that it's hard to accept the overall premise, it was like that for me.

At that point, I wouldn't call it "ruined", it just stopped drawing me in very much, so early on, the movie lost me and did little to increase my opinion of it.

And then the ship did what it did. This wasn't a later conclusion, it was a 'WTF" reaction as it happened.

Aside from that tho...

I respect most everyone here and in no way mean to disrespect anyone that likes it. Just for me, I find it hard to have a very high opinion of it with the flaws that stand out so badly to me.
I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
Willowfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #1355
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Quote:
I hate to be that nitpicky guy, and most know me here, while I can fly off the handle with the best of them and have done so here at least twice I can think of.

The science was really really bad, prolly not many would see it, but given what I know, it was some of the worst science I've ever seen. Seems like I'm blowing it out of preprotion prolly. But you ever seen a movie where they get something so wrong, that it's hard to accept the overall premise, it was like that for me.

At that point, I wouldn't call it "ruined", it just stopped drawing me in very much, so early on, the movie lost me and did little to increase my opinion of it.

And then the ship did what it did. This wasn't a later conclusion, it was a 'WTF" reaction as it happened.

Aside from that tho...

I respect most everyone here and in no way mean to disrespect anyone that likes it. Just for me, I find it hard to have a very high opinion of it with the flaws that stand out so badly to me.
Some of the worst science you've ever seen?

What great science fiction movies that you've seen respect actual scientific theory?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #1356
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Willowfang is half Thundercat on his childhood's side

Quote:
Some of the worst science you've ever seen?

What great science fiction movies that you've seen respect actual scientific theory?
Heh, good point. I guess it comes down to what level of suspension of disbelief you find reasonable.

Tho some films take place in our real world, and others don't take place entirely in our real world.

This film seems to def take place in our normal real world, while others like Star Wars, Star Trek, Highlander, any superhero movie...

I'd say The 2001 and it's sequel did just fine. I can't think of any others that stood out as accurate ATM, tho none stand out as highly inaccurate either.
I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
Willowfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #1357
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs

Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.

Send a message via MSN to Oxley

Quote:
woah, nit-pick much?

I understand the criticism of the two idiot guys, but I'm astonished as to how many people are claiming those 20 second scenes ruined the whole movie for them.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Voorhees View Post
I don't think it was a different species at all. The whole movie was about how and why we are here. I think what you saw was just a very primitive version of the traditional Alien. I think over time they would eventually evolve and become what we know them to be.

We all know Xeno differ depending on the host. And I believe Scott said Xenos would be in the film, but just not how we are used to seeing them. So, in my opinion I do believe the Engineers were developing those BioWeapons, which are Xeno DNA but with differences. In the film they say there is likely different planets doing different experiments. Maybe each planet has a different strain of Xeno DNA to work off. Who knows?

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlust View Post
Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
My little idiot..
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #1358
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Quote:
Heh, good point. I guess it comes down to what level of suspension of disbelief you find reasonable.

Tho some films take place in our real world, and others don't take place entirely in our real world.

This film seems to def take place in our normal real world, while others like Star Wars, Star Trek, Highlander, any superhero movie...

I'd say The 2001 and it's sequel did just fine. I can't think of any others that stood out as accurate ATM, tho none stand out as highly inaccurate either.
2001 and 2010 are some of the few films I can say do a good job of it.,, even at that I'm sure some space experts would pick it apart.

I get what you're saying though. A lot of people had the same criticism for the movie Sunshine. I suppose you have to take it for what it is.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #1359
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxley View Post
We all know Xeno differ depending on the host. And I believe Scott said Xenos would be in the film, but just not how we are used to seeing them. So, in my opinion I do believe the Engineers were developing those BioWeapons, which are Xeno DNA but with differences. In the film they say there is likely different planets doing different experiments. Maybe each planet has a different strain of Xeno DNA to work off. Who knows?
but!!!

The facehuggers in the Alien films were laid by a Queen xenomorph. This facehugger came from a person.

This is why i love these movies. Good, dense science fiction with lots to discuss!!!

edit 2

And since the black goo was from egg shaped things that aesthetically match the lay out of facehugger eggs, there would clearly have to be some sort of high knowledge about the xenomorphs that we have yet to discover and only Engineers know.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 AM   #1360
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs

Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.

Send a message via MSN to Oxley

Quote:
but!!!

The facehuggers in the Alien films were laid by a Queen xenomorph. This facehugger came from a person.

This is why i love these movies. Good, dense science fiction with lots to discuss!!!

edit 2

And since the black goo was from egg shaped things that aesthetically match the lay out of facehugger eggs, there would clearly have to be some sort of high knowledge about the xenomorphs that we have yet to discover and only Engineers know.
So, Maybe this type of Xeno doesn't require a Queen, as the Goo is where it originated from.

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlust View Post
Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
My little idiot..
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote